The Refereeing Thread

So would Aloisi's goal against Japan in the '06 World Cup be counted as offside because Viduka was standing there and was kind of in the way?

Do you have some video of it?

Another question, how does the process work for allowing a team to take a quick free kick? Do players have to wait at all for permission from the referee to do so? I would think not. In that case, can players quickly take the free unless the referee holds up play? In which case, is there really any need for ref to hold up play at all? What would be reasons refs hold it up? So many question...

Pretty much what Mack said:

- Direct/Indirect free kick happens

- Normally if they want to take a quick free kick they can (referee doesn't have to say anything)

- If a period of time passes with no free kick or referee is talking to someone or a player is in the way etc etc & you have to wait then it's too late.

In answer to your questions:

- No formal process

- They only have to wait unless the referee needs to stop the game

- They don't need permission to take a quick free kick but some referees like you to ask

- Yes you can take the quick free kick unless the referee holds up play

- Yes there are certain reasons why the referee would hold up the play

- If a player is too close (not back 10 yards) & then books the player for not retreating, an injury, needs to book someone for the foul, needs to talk to someone, substitutions, etc etc

I have noticed in the aleague & other professional leagues, the referee will give the team time to take a quick free kick. If they then decide against it, then the referee will hold up the whistle to the free kick taker saying "you will need to wait for the whistle before the free kick can be taken" which the defenders/goalkeeper can't hear but at least they know it can't be taken quickly or early from that point onwards.

So this is something way out of left field but...

to the more senior referees than me here,

what's the protocol for asking players out?

:lol:

I refereed the super cute girl who pulls her shorts up and sleeves in again today and it was very distracting :(

Chatted to her after the game for a bit, she has a really nice smile too

i just feel i should be doing something about it, while not breaking any terms of my employment

I refereed the super cute girl who pulls her shorts up and sleeves in again today and it was very distracting :(

i just feel i should be doing something about it, while not breaking any terms of my employment

I'm not sure what the rules are here or if there are any rules forbidding a referee to ask a player out. I would have just waited till the end of the season, is there any sneaky way you can get her number?

I'm not sure what the rules are here or if there are any rules forbidding a referee to ask a player out. I would have just waited till the end of the season, is there any sneaky way you can get her number?

Get her FFA player ID # from the match sheet.....

Then somehow hack into the FFA database :ninja:

Get her FFA player ID # from the match sheet.....

Then somehow hack into the FFA database :ninja:

Nathan, it sounds like you've had experience in these matters :ninja::lol:

ahaha well nathan here has so many good suggestions :ninja:

I was just going to hope I get their semi-final next week

nek minnit they're not playing semi-finals :(

EDIT: Okay just realised I could find out if they're playing semis by checking the fixture list and showing up... but that's probably straying into illegal stalker territory right

Edited by Unlimited

you're showing up to watch a game, how is anyone going to know? Plus, they will probably think you're a back up referee ;)

Yes I think this is the best suggestion but you'd have to turn up to the match in your referee gear to ensure the validity of the story. Don't even have to be back up, can say they accudently sent you to the wrong ground or that you went to the wrong ground?

I have to admit, if you turned up to the game it'd be pretty high stalkerish level but need a good back story to cover you. Can't tell anyone about this too :lol:

hacking the ffa databse is where I would start to consider it stalker territory,

maybe...

Serious stalker territory

Check for her name on Facebook or social media, could even text her coach. Respectable lad who refs shouldn't be a problem.

On another note, I asked in the amateur thread about refereeing Futsal during the week and park footy on weekends. Is it done?

Edited by ColdRock

Guys have a question for you.

A through ball was put through & the keeper called for it. He collected the ball in his box, then stepped into the path of the attacker (who was running past him) using his shoulder & elbow to flatten the player. He was completely taken out. The referee gave an indirect free kick & a yellow card.

The card is debatable but I was wondering on the award of the indirect free kick. I know for dangerous play when no contact is made with the player a indirect free kick is given but he made contact with the player so shouldn't it be a direct free kick (penalty)? Unless there is some rule to do with the fact that the keeper had the ball so was an indirect free kick, I'm not sure. This happened in our match this afternoon but not while I was refereeing.

Just wanted some clarification.

Ohhh should've been a penalty

Put it down as striking an opponent, and you take the free kick from where it occurred

But oh look it's in the penalty area

Penalty kick

And yes, you play dangerously and it's an indirect free kick, but as soon as you touch the player, then that's a different story. Kinda like a high foot. Indirect free kick usually, but as soon as that high foot grazes off someone's head or whatever, then you'll be reaching into your pocket more often than not.

In my opinion Prydz it should go like this...

If accidental contact whilst going for a 50/50 ball, play on although these days GK are as protected as koala bears and these days it's more like 60/40.

If on purpose in the action of taking the ball, indirect free kick in the box and possible yellow, depending on intent.

If on purpose after the action of taking the ball and meant to purposely 'line up' the attacker then take him out, I would see no other decision than penalty and a yellow card.

If the keeper took out the player as the last man, whilst the ball was still active 50/50 and could have been a goal scoring opportunity, then I would say a red card and a penalty would have been given.

This is my opinion, not sure if right but that's how I would have dealt with it.

If the action from the keeper was deemed using excessive force then it's a penalty and send-off, 
reckless then it's a yellow and a penalty, 
careless and then it's just a penalty.

If the keeper already had the ball and then stepped sideways into the attacker to take them out then with their raised elbow, 
sounds like a send off for me

He collected the ball in his box, then stepped into the path of the attacker (who was running past him) using his shoulder & elbow to flatten the player. He was completely taken out.

A DFK is for kicking, tripping, jumping, charging, striking or attempting to strike, pushing on tackling an opponent with careless, reckless or excessive force.

An IDFK would be in this situation for playing in a dangerous manner (generally considered something like a high foot, bad tackle but one that doesn't connect).

To me that would be charging, striking or pushing and in a reckless fashion. DFK, penalty.

The card would be yellow if considered unsporting behaviour, or red if considered violent conduct.

Guys many thanks for all your responses, I was pretty sure (95%) but had some doubt in the back of my mind as I haven't been refereeing for too long.

Yeh no doubt. The other problem we had was that in the game before the referee was handing out cards like giving candy to a child & then in the second game different referee but was almost like he left his cards at home.

We had a significant lead & the opposition was pretty demoralised by the score line so decided to take there frustration out on our players. One guy got a blow to the head, another bloke chopped in half, striker taken out late as he had a tap in at the far post & then the keeper elbowing/shoulder charged our player. The referee didn't penalise these fouls (gave a yellow for the last one) essentially giving them the signal that they could keep on committing these types of fouls without consequence.

don't worry I was a line for a very fiery 15/2s match today... they were killing each other out there, a few injuries, someone had to be carried off, coaches yelling at each other, crowd was getting into it... 

Now, let's have another confusing refereeing question:

Let's suppose I award a direct free kick and the defending team have a wall. Before the ball is kicked, someone in the wall charges the shot - but in a twist of fate, the ball deflects off of them and into the goal.

Now, the law book says that if someone is closer than the required distance when the kick is taken, the kick has to be re-taken. So can I card the charging player for "failure to respect the distance" then? Also wouldn't that mean I have to disallow the goal and make them take it again?

It seems a bit unfair... although if this happened in a match situation I'd card them for failure to respect the distance and award the goal anyway (even though I may be breaking the rules...)

don't worry I was a line for a very fiery 15/2s match today... they were killing each other out there, a few injuries, someone had to be carried off, coaches yelling at each other, crowd was getting into it...

Now, let's have another confusing refereeing question:

Let's suppose I award a direct free kick and the defending team have a wall. Before the ball is kicked, someone in the wall charges the shot - but in a twist of fate, the ball deflects off of them and into the goal.

Now, the law book says that if someone is closer than the required distance when the kick is taken, the kick has to be re-taken. So can I card the charging player for "failure to respect the distance" then? Also wouldn't that mean I have to disallow the goal and make them take it again?

It seems a bit unfair... although if this happened in a match situation I'd card them for failure to respect the distance and award the goal anyway (even though I may be breaking the rules...)

Yellow card to the player who charged out and free kick gets taken again.