The Refereeing Thread

44 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Problem is, there is no difference between this and a pen in the first minute - goals are precious in football. And that slippery slope of what you should be checking for, and when you stop the game, is as big a problem as the time taken to get decisions.

Look at Chris Beath yesterday, stopped the game regularly to check VAR. I agree no difference between 1st and last minute but VAR will check both.

48 minutes ago, mack said:

Second: No penalty. Simultaneous contact with the ball, the Juve player falling over doesn't make it a foul. If the ref declined to give a penalty it shouldn't be overturned.

Really? Was a horrible challenge Mack, another angle for you.

With that tackle he has gone off his feet and endangered the players safety. Reckless challenge and yellow card warranted. I wasn’t so much questioning decision but more the process for VAR.

7 minutes ago, WestSyd said:

Video referee can never work in football.

Appears like it is here to stay, I think now it is all down now to implementation and getting it right. 

At the end of the day it is all about getting big decisions right. I think the biggest problem I have seen in Italy is that instead of speaking less of referees, they are speaking more (well of VAR) about it! They call it VARiance because it seems to raise more questions than answers (especially since not every VAR decision is correct)

2 hours ago, mack said:

There was something I was thinking about last night after our game.

We had numerous offsides where our players got through on goal against the Mariners high line. The referee blew up the play immediately. There's no chance for the VAR to intervene against a bad call. If we had a 2 on the keeper it's likely that play results in a goal if played appropriately.

Now, our late near-miss where Cejudo's shot just went wide and Riera/Bridge were just too far to turn it home. If say, Riera had got to the ball and tapped it home, only for the linesman to flag it offside, the ref wouldn't have have the chance to blow the play up before the goal was scored.

It's the exact same situation, except in one, the game is stopped before the ball goes in the net so the VAR can't do anything.

This exact situation just popped up in the smurf game. Wellington would've had 2 on the keeper but they were incorrectly called offside.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Appears like it is here to stay

Well if football people like Robbie Slater answer the question about whether they like it with "I guess so" without thinking about it, then it'll stay. But if people complain enough, it'll go.

The biggest problem is that it's only going to take away goals, not allow or enable them. e.g Wellington v sydney just now.

4 minutes ago, mack said:

This exact situation just popped up in the smurf game. Wellington would've had 2 on the keeper but they were incorrectly called offside.

Incorrectly!?! He was at least two metres onside. Shocking.

46 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Well if football people like Robbie Slater answer the question about whether they like it with "I guess so" without thinking about it, then it'll stay. But if people complain enough, it'll go.

The biggest problem is that it's only going to take away goals, not allow or enable them. e.g Wellington v sydney just now.

Incorrectly!?! He was at least two metres onside. Shocking.

Really bad call ....no excuse, but once again it gave the smurfs the full 3pts.

I've been thinking more about Mack's post, and this issue that the VAR can only overturn when play is allowed to go on and a goal is scored, but can't fix a problem when an incorrect offside is made. Apart from the obvious inconsistency and the decrease in goals that will come from it, it's also going to change the way that referees adjudicate the game. 

The natural outcome is that play will not be called up in situations where it looks like someone is likely to score. e.g. the Wellington situation tonight, or offsides in the 6 yard box etc. It's also likely that handballs by the attacking team (or just handballs in general I guess) will be let go by the on-field ref and only called if the VAR can see clearly that it is a handball.

The problem with this is that if the refs are letting play go on more, then the VAR will overturn more. So then you have a game where you're disupting the flow and taking away the spontaneity of scoring goals because you're sitting around waiting for the VAR.

I honestly think this could ruin the game. The other night we had a near two minute wait for a corner and it was ****. What's going to happen when they call back a goal after we've already danced around singing "Let's Go Mental" and called out the guy''s name 3 times (or is it 4)? The next time we score we stand around waiting to see if it's a goal? No thanks.

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

It’s not up to people in the media, a lot to do with FIFA and IFAB. At the end of the day unless those in the media or joe blogs on social media actually impact the decision makers, then complaining will do nothing.

Re: Taking away goals, never thought of it like that. 

Re: Corner vs sea bogans, I believe that Beath asked for the VAR twice  once for some handbags in the box and another for a handball? I like how they show on screen when VAR is in use and the decision (green or red).

6 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

: Corner vs sea bogans, I believe that Beath asked for the VAR twice  once for some handbags in the box and another for a handball? I like how they show on screen when VAR is in use and the decision (green or red).

One of these was a ridiculous request, since all the falling over had happened before the ball was in play, so you can't give a penalty for it to begin with.

36 minutes ago, mack said:

One of these was a ridiculous request, since all the falling over had happened before the ball was in play, so you can't give a penalty for it to begin with.

Since the ball was already out of play, he could have yellow carded both/either player/s (if there was anything) and then restarted with a corner. Someone confirm?

The ref can give a card anytime he's on the pitch (and even before with the new laws allowing that in case there's a fight in the tunnel pre-game).

If there's any event like that when the ball is out, play is always restarted as per whatever reason the game was stopped for. So yes, if it went out for a corner then there was an incident, it restarts with a corner.

9 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Since the ball was already out of play, he could have yellow carded both/either player/s (if there was anything) and then restarted with a corner. Someone confirm?

Is the referee allowed to use VAR for yellow cards though? I thought it was only red.

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Is the referee allowed to use VAR for yellow cards though? I thought it was only red.

57 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

True, only saving grace would be mistaken identity. Who knows what Beath called the VAR for :lol: 

Perhaps he was checking if there was cause for a red?

3 minutes ago, tardotz said:

Gillett's performance yesterday was disgraceful. We have seen many bad decisions from A league referees over the years but I don't remember any referee being so one sided.  

I do. Jarred Gillett in the GF when we played Adelaide. Isaias and his mates hacked our guys mercilessly without punishment. 

Always against us😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

56 minutes ago, tardotz said:

I was watching a replay of the MCY - WEL and the freekick that resulted in the only goal was takes 10-12 meters closer than where it should have. Is that something that the VAR should have looked at? 

I have no idea. I mean, technically it's meant to fix any "obvious mistake" in situations for cards, goals & mistaken identity. Is the referee making a mistake in spotting the ball count?

I just did a quick photoshop and they moved the ball forward about 10 meters, I might have been too generous in the picture on it being 34 yards out, it's more like 32.

The nix wall was on the 24 yard line for a shot that should have been taken about 42 yards out from goal. It's the difference between being able to have a crack at goal and having to just play on normally.

The spot where the McCormack shot from was where the Wellington team's wall should have been. Ref has absolutely no excuse for an error like that. Did he get confused while he was giving out a yellow card and think the 10 yards where the wall would go was actually where the foul was, then marched Wellington back another 10 yards?

Perhaps the ref has been watching too much rugby league and marched them another 10 meters for apparent dissent.:diablo:

spot.PNG.edf978262b5bf30e8ecf346e0f2dd974.PNG

1 minute ago, matty said:

Perth vs CCM

How was Castros call for a penalty not awarded by the VAR? On replay, the defender clearly steps on Castro's foot. The VAR checks it and nothing? 

I initially thought it was a dive.  Then saw the foot contact in the replays.  Then doubted, then didn't whether there was contact.  Then I wondered if the ball was out before he went down?  So I guess it was interpreted as not an obvious error.

16 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I initially thought it was a dive.  Then saw the foot contact in the replays.  Then doubted, then didn't whether there was contact.  Then I wondered if the ball was out before he went down?  So I guess it was interpreted as not an obvious error.

Contact is 100%. Slow motion you can see he's stepped on his foot, faster motion confirms it with Castro missing his step when he couldn't lift his foot (because the defender momentarily stepped on it). 

Only question is if the ball was in play. I thought it was but would have to check again. 

34 minutes ago, matty said:

Contact is 100%. Slow motion you can see he's stepped on his foot, faster motion confirms it with Castro missing his step when he couldn't lift his foot (because the defender momentarily stepped on it). 

Only question is if the ball was in play. I thought it was but would have to check again. 

I agree 100% contact.  I was just trying to show my thoughts with the possibility the VAR people had similar thoughts and ended up with enough doubt to not change the ref's decision.