The Italian Football Thread

The other day we were talking about Berlusconi and Italian politics and the lecturer talked about how one of the biggest boosts to old mate Silvio's popularity was him pretty much pulling AC MIlan out of bankruptcy and catapulted them onto the European scene as one of the major clubs.

Though I don't think another Berlusconi is the answer, if Milan could pull through a tight period before they can do it again (though maybe not through hakka advertisements for face cream)  :good:

Do you know how he did that?

Believe me, the quicker Berlusconi goes the better, he is a basket case & is desperately trying to hold on the Milan hoping that he can transform his club & be the club's saviour once again. Only when he moves on, will Milan ever have the chance at rebuilding themselves into the great club they once were.

Unfortunately we didn't get into the football stuff too much but we did look into some of his shady political dealings and corruption stuff beforehand so I would imagine none of it was particularly clean :P Apparently during the elections he used the local Milan supporter groups throughout Italy as his party campaigners and street thugs so evidently he never had the best interests of football at heart.

Hopefully Milan does get out of this rut. I'm not a huge fan but it's still a shame that such a big club has been reduced to such levels.

Well using the windfalls he has made through his political/business dealings, he plunged hundreds of millions of his own money buying the best players available & just kept on pouring the money in until the money ran out :lol:

He isn't prepared to pour any more money into the club & is trying to get back to the glory days doing it the old fashioned way. Only issue is when you have an erratic & egotistical owner such as Silvio you run into many issues such as sacking/hiring managers at will, buying players on impulse & so many bad decisions it makes it very difficult.

Well using the windfalls he has made through his political/business dealings, he plunged hundreds of millions of his own money buying the best players available & just kept on pouring the money in until the money ran out :lol:

He isn't prepared to pour any more money into the club & is trying to get back to the glory days doing it the old fashioned way. Only issue is when you have an erratic & egotistical owner such as Silvio you run into many issues such as sacking/hiring managers at will, buying players on impulse & so many bad decisions it makes it very difficult.

Yep. To build a dynasty the old way you need stability and good consistency. We have so far been consistently unstable and erratic

The other day we were talking about Berlusconi and Italian politics and the lecturer talked about how one of the biggest boosts to old mate Silvio's popularity was him pretty much pulling AC MIlan out of bankruptcy and catapulted them onto the European scene as one of the major clubs.

Though I don't think another Berlusconi is the answer, if Milan could pull through a tight period before they can do it again (though maybe not through hakka advertisements for face cream)  :good:

Do you know how he did that?

Believe me, the quicker Berlusconi goes the better, he is a basket case & is desperately trying to hold on the Milan hoping that he can transform his club & be the club's saviour once again. Only when he moves on, will Milan ever have the chance at rebuilding themselves into the great club they once were.

Unfortunately we didn't get into the football stuff too much but we did look into some of his shady political dealings and corruption stuff beforehand so I would imagine none of it was particularly clean :P Apparently during the elections he used the local Milan supporter groups throughout Italy as his party campaigners and street thugs so evidently he never had the best interests of football at heart.

Hopefully Milan does get out of this rut. I'm not a huge fan but it's still a shame that such a big club has been reduced to such levels.

I hope Milan, Inter and Juve get relegated; in the one season is preferable. That should reduce the amount of corruption in Serie A by half.

BTW, Italy's chances at the euros this year? Zip!

Edited by Ken
  • 2 weeks later...

Ken

:smurfpoint:

Thanks for the blessing, Pyrdz.

Seriously, Berlusconi is more corrupt than all the mafioso in the south. How he managed to brainwash the Italian public for so long is the stuff of legend.

I mentioned the three but actually you could probably say the whole of FIGC is corrupt...and a basket case at that too.

I still stand by Italy's chances at the Euro's. Unless someone along the lines of Rossi or Schillaci present themselves, they have buckly's.

Edited by Ken

Ken, you don't want a blessing from that flog :lol:

I tend to agree with you on Italy's chances in the Euro's, but I'm quietly optimistic. Compared to the legends that have dominated the national teams for decades, this team is about as no frills as you can get! The ace in our deck is Conte & I'm looking forward to how he can transform this group of misfits into a team punching well above there weight.

Paperwork not signed yet, but Pjanić's manager has said that they are very close to sealing the deal:

"Juventus have activated the €38m clause and we expect to finalise the transfer very soon," 

"[The signing of the contract] should happen within the next week, and then there's the official presentation."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2016/06/10/24485452/pjanic-on-brink-of-38m-juventus-move-claims-representative?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=enfb

Paperwork not signed yet, but Pjanić's manager has said that they are very close to sealing the deal:

"Juventus have activated the €38m clause and we expect to finalise the transfer very soon," [/size]

"[The signing of the contract] should happen within the next week, and then there's the official presentation."[/size]

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2016/06/10/24485452/pjanic-on-brink-of-38m-juventus-move-claims-representative?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=enfb

Just because the release clause has been activated, I wouldn't be so sure. Expect a cheeky bid from another big club as the players agent coming out to announce this has more to do with how high he can drive his clients wages rather than how quickly the deal can be signed.

Been catching up on Twitter today:

- Valter you were right about Pjanic, didn't realise how far along it was. The player even went without his 20% of the buy out clause & sent in a letter to the president (which was then read over national radio) to get it over the line. Everyone confident that things will happen this week (tomorrow at the earliest)

- Alves to Juve, will sign after the Copa America

- Marotta will be discussing a few things with RM including how they can keep Moratta, price for Pogba & a deal for Kovacic if Pogba were to go

According to German media Real are chasing Pogba and are even offering Kroos.

been hearing rumours the last few days of a record bid for Pogba. IIRC i saw something like $153million. Which is ridiculous, but even if half that, it's massive

According to German media Real are chasing Pogba and are even offering Kroos.

been hearing rumours the last few days of a record bid for Pogba. IIRC i saw something like $153million. Which is ridiculous, but even if half that, it's massive
:lol:

Insane amount of money on offer, what currency we talking here? Australian or American? I think with the signing of Pjanic, I'd like to see Isco instead of Kroos, but nonetheless both incredible players.

Ken, you don't want a blessing from that flog :lol:

I tend to agree with you on Italy's chances in the Euro's, but I'm quietly optimistic. Compared to the legends that have dominated the national teams for decades, this team is about as no frills as you can get! The ace in our deck is Conte & I'm looking forward to how he can transform this group of misfits into a team punching well above there weight.

Boy were you right about Conte! Although only the first game, Conte is very aware of what happened at the last WC so I would imagine they will progress to the knockout. From there who knows.

Faith restored. Forza Azzurri!!\

• 4 weeks later...

Boy were you right about Conte! Although only the first game, Conte is very aware of what happened at the last WC so I would imagine they will progress to the knockout. From there who knows.

Faith restored. Forza Azzurri!!\

Yes, I have heard some stories out of the camp. Some of his ideas, his preparation, his time drilling the players tactically & making sure they were in top shape for the tournament. Was fantastic to see a master in action.

The biggest disappointment was that with Germany mirroring our system, both teams cancelled each other out & Italy just didn't have enough quality to put Germany away. When it went to penalties, it was always going to be hard to compete against ruthless German efficiency (haven't lost a penalty in how long) & was amazing that they missed so many :lol:

Talks of Higuain to Juve? If that comes through then Juve will have a seriously formidable squad

It is bubbling under the surface but right now & is currently looking for a replacement for Morata who has been recalled to Real Madrid. The stumbling block? Juve are unwilling to match the €94.5m price tag so the deal is off, for now. Juve were willing to go to €70m but even that is insane when you consider his age. If that means success in Europe or a finals appearance it is a price they would be willing to pay. This is definitely to be continued....

That's not just for the latest move though, it's their career totals, right?

Di Maria it's 2 or 3 transfers. Ibra a few, Higuain 2-3, Anelka about a zillion. James is the worst ROI, most of that would be the Real move. Then again, anything involving Real is ridiculous, they'll spend $100 mil on a bench player and not even blink.

All these numbers are ridiculous.