Football Marketing/PR Thread

9 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I think you’ll have to measure out the average of crowds over a number of rounds as not having the derby at ANZ and a Central Coast home game first this year makes the opening round look worse.

Attendance wise it was steady at best, but if you saw the lackluster effort put into the promotion of the AL three days before it started, is anyone surprised? Rehashed campaign, seemingly zero effort or funds spent, low key launch so soon before the season, did much of the general non-footballing public actually know it was on? 

A big positive for me was the figures for the Saturday night game. 107k for the Big Blue on One plus 78k on Fox were pretty good figures, better than anything SBS have been able to do. A big concerted effort (news, ads, digital, shows) and a large audience would have helped.

Crowds in round 1 still an issue for me but I’d like to see it over a few weeks before panic stations are hit. The issue? Instead of hitting the season with a bang, we have started way behind the eight ball. Lots of ground to make up.

Funny you say that Prydz 'cos over on 4-4-2 there is a lot of hand wringing and 'fold the league' sentimentality around the 'dire' TV ratings!

Heard some radio ads on KIIS FM the past couple of mornings advertising the Smurfs vs Nix game this weekend. 

I've seen the rates for that morning time slot on Kyle and Jackie O and I can tell you they are certainly investing quite a lot. 

Most of the clubs have certainly picked up the FFA slack. But it just boggles my mind that the clubs somehow have enough to run radio ads and huge billboards but the FFA are "poor". It's such bullshit :nono: 

One of our lowest Crowds ever against the Mariners on a Saturday night, Melbourne twiteratti mentioning the lack of hype/excitement around the derby and PAX for derby around 30-32k

what is it a sign of?

- Lower percentage of ticketed to non-ticketed members in the 16,500 for WSW. 

- Pathetic marketing campaign leading into the season?

9 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

One of our lowest Crowds ever against the Mariners on a Saturday night, Melbourne twiteratti mentioning the lack of hype/excitement around the derby and PAX for derby around 30-32k

what is it a sign of?

- Lower percentage of ticketed to non-ticketed members in the 16,500 for WSW. 

- Pathetic marketing campaign leading into the season?

I'm convinced that a lot of our fans will not go to Spotless or SOP regardless of how we play. 16K+ members, crowd of 11.6K at the game yesterday.

4K+ fans couldn't be bothered.

I would love to see this sort of atmosphere at Spotless

4 hours ago, sonar said:

I'm convinced that a lot of our fans will not go to Spotless or SOP regardless of how we play. 16K+ members, crowd of 11.6K at the game yesterday.

I'm thinking the same way. The precinct & the transport options (either pay loads for parking and/or westconnex toll, or catch 2+ trains) will put people off. Going to a game at homebush basically has to be a planned thing. You can't just be living in the area around Parramatta and decide to go a few hours before it starts.

1 hour ago, mack said:

I'm thinking the same way. The precinct & the transport options (either pay loads for parking and/or westconnex toll, or catch 2+ trains) will put people off. Going to a game at homebush basically has to be a planned thing. You can't just be living in the area around Parramatta and decide to go a few hours before it starts.

I live a 10-15min drive from SOP, and it takes me +1hr to get there and back via public transport. 1 bus and two trains each way.

Parra is slightly closer for me than Spotless, and I can be at the ground in 10-15mins on a bus.

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

I live a 10-15min drive from SOP, and it takes me +1hr to get there and back via public transport. 1 bus and two trains each way.

Parra is slightly closer for me than Spotless, and I can be at the ground in 10-15mins on a bus.

This is exactly the same for me. 

I'd also like to add that Wanderers should've argued and fought more more to ensure buses were included with the "free Public Transport" - to enable those from areas not serviced by trains/ with no train lines (yet!) - were able and encouraged to attend (Hills District, etc.)

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:
This hasn’t been a good start, the A-League starts with a bang usually with a combination of hype and big fixtures sees a spike in attendances and ratings but this year has seen none of that. Last week, I said I was happy to wait and see. Now I’m genuinely concerned.

Last weeks ratings on One were 117k, this week was (apparently) 125k, so they may be down a bit on Fox, but are at least stable on One. Also not necessarily fair to compare last season which started with two derbies from memory.

7 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Diabolical, saw some people trying to defend the 34.5k crowd but now these ratings?

Hit the panic button 

To be fair Prydz the Wallabies were on the main channel at the same time. As much as we all want our sport to outrate all others,National teams in compeitions on TV at the same time will beat us all the time. Especially Us v NZ.

Yeah the wallabies v all blacks was always going to be tough competition.  I bet nearly all QLD would have watched the rugby. As much as we denigrate the game it still gets massive media coverage. 

Pity because the derby was a good game too and could have resulted in a few more converts. 

15 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Yeah the wallabies v all blacks was always going to be tough competition.  I bet nearly all QLD would have watched the rugby. As much as we denigrate the game it still gets massive media coverage. 

Pity because the derby was a good game too and could have resulted in a few more converts. 

Most wallaby fans only watch 3 games 

all blacks

England 

Lions 

I was kind of glad the derby didn’t sell out because (I thought) it meant the FFA might actually take notice that their two premier fixtures have been well down on usual numbers and act. 

But no... they’re calling for “patience” and “aren’t panicking”. On top of this, they’re saving the majority of their marketing budget for the end of the season when 3 other codes will be entering their new seasons... You can’t make this stuff up.

There is no purpose or direction. Football just bumbles from week to week in this country and is saved by the fact it’s such a globally powerful sport. 

• 2 weeks later...