Football Marketing/PR Thread

Speccy, I think you've misunderstood my statement. I know they've already got a fan base. I know they are trying to target new fans, but I highly doubt this current campaign will attract them. If that's their aim with this, IMO they've missed the mark.

I'm a marketing/media professional. I could have come up with half a dozen ideas better than this and I'm not even being paid the big bucks to do so. I wish I could find them because they were awesome but about 6 months ago, people on here came up with about two pages of advertising/marketing ideas for the A-League which shat all over this idea. What I'm saying is, if a bunch of people on a football forum can come up with better ideas for advertising the league, it doesn't say much for the professionals they've hired.

There's a way to advertise to attract new fans as well as build hype for the upcoming season. It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, if you've got a tight budget like the FFA does, you'd be trying to hit as many target markets as possible with what little you've got.

This campaign is just weird. Surely people should be encouraged to support their local team. As if some bloke from Perth is going to go "oh that's cool, I'm going to choose the Nix as my team".

yeah fair enough, read your earlier statement a different way. 

Edited by spectacular291

I can just see the tv add. Just old big head standing facing the camera, interspersed with some flashbacks of his career highlights:

"You've gotta have a team. I used to play for some pretty big clubs, but no-one good wants me anymore. I figured that I'm still a big name in Australia and that back home was the best place for me to milk it, so I got into a public stand-off with the CEO of the FFA to pressure him into changing the rules so that I could get my big Arab payday at Melbourne City. Yeah, I know, I'd have preferred the Wanderers or Victory too, but hey, if no-one else wants you, what can you do? You've gotta have a team."

I will wait to see it in full before judging. If they follow it with reasons why you gotta have a team - eg the atmosphere, to support your local community, to see exciting play - then it may work. If it's just "because" then the simple response is "why?" or "no, I don't".

EDIT: The Homer meme is ******* great, regardless of whether the campaign is good or not.

Edited by btron3000

i have seen one billboard on the M4(saw it online) being used, any other billboards? i really want to see one of the billboards on platform 1/2 at blacktown station being used because a ******* lot of people travel through that platform especially from the hawkesbury which is an under developed area wanderers wise imo

i have seen one billboard on the M4(saw it online) being used, any other billboards? i really want to see one of the billboards on platform 1/2 at blacktown station being used because a ******* lot of people travel through that platform especially from the hawkesbury which is an under developed area wanderers wise imo

Gallop.  Give this man a job

Gallop.  Give this man a job

thank you :P i need a job :P for me there is another billboard on the penrith line which always has panthers stuff on it, i would love that stolen :P i mean while we got parramatta and a lot of area's the wanderers are dominant and i think focusing on western sydney area's which the wanderers have not engaged with as much and with the billboard mentioned everyone from the hawkesbury see's it if they use public transport, plus most people from blacktown who are travelling closer to the city see it also

if gallop wants to give me money i wont complain about that :P

thank you i am glad i didnt imagine it :P

Considering my expectations were extremely low to the point that i thought the a-league was gonna save cash and not run a marketing campaign this season and wait till after the next tv deal, i am relieved to see something. It's not that bad, its simple and gets to the point, so ill wait to see how it pans out before being too critical like most here.

Quite like how there is the aim to convert the 2.1 million football players into fans, its a goal and its a start.

This is so weird. I find myself on the side of the FFA. I don't really like the words he used, accusing the clubs of not being clubs, but I absolutely cannot stand the thought of giving people like the Bakries and Citygroup the running of the league.

I think we should tell FIFA to **** off. If they threaten to pull the Socceroos from FIFA tournaments then so be it. Wouldn't be the first time we've been suspended. And someone's get to tell FIFA where to go, we might as well be the ones.

This is so weird. I find myself on the side of the FFA. I don't really like the words he used, accusing the clubs of not being clubs, but I absolutely cannot stand the thought of giving people like the Bakries and Citygroup the running of the league.

I think we should tell FIFA to **** off. If they threaten to pull the Socceroos from FIFA tournaments then so be it. Wouldn't be the first time we've been suspended. And someone's get to tell FIFA where to go, we might as well be the ones.

Btron:

- flare lighter

- FIFA hater

- revolutionary

She's also a s*** striker and a nogoodnik in school. What a legacy of inspiration ol captain ca$h has left us

I don't mind this ad.

Connects with general football fans on many different levels.

It's a good ad

But for Melbourne city not the a league as a whole