Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

mack

• 2 weeks later...

SEARS (Secretary's Environmental Assessment Requirements) have been issued for stage 2 - so DA lodged soon

Western Sydney Stadium (Stage 2 Design & Construction)

Stage 2 of the Western Sydney Stadium, comprising the detailed design and construction of the stadium
as well as supporting uses such as retail tenancies, kiosks and other complementary uses.

Time for a thread name change to Western Sydney Stadium

http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.go...ob&job_id=8175

32261822111_9937ebbc20_b.jpg

I'm trying to work out how the end stands work. In the top drawing I'm assuming it's from the western side looking to the eastern stand as it doesn't have the tunnel to the change rooms. Base on that it looks like the lower terrace on the south end is one continuous bay while the north terrace is three bays.

why do the drawings have NRL field markings and stuff

:smurfnono::smurfpoint:

Probably more to do with that the NRL field is bigger, gives a more visual idea of the space behind the goals than anything else.

I'm trying to work out how the end stands work. In the top drawing I'm assuming it's from the western side looking to the eastern stand as it doesn't have the tunnel to the change rooms. Base on that it looks like the lower terrace on the south end is one continuous bay while the north terrace is three bays.

Both drawings are looking from the western side. If you look carefully you can see hand rails for all of the upper aisles (due to steepness), as well as the northern terrace. The southern and western terraces do no have the handrails because they'll be normally seated, whereas the north is being designed for standing. It's easier to see on the high-res images on the document itself. There are bays marked on the southern end too, if you look carefully.

Both drawings are looking from the western side. If you look carefully you can see hand rails for all of the upper aisles (due to steepness), as well as the northern terrace. The southern and western terraces do no have the handrails because they'll be normally seated, whereas the north is being designed for standing. It's easier to see on the high-res images on the document itself. There are bays marked on the southern end too, if you look carefully.

Good spot. I checked the document to see whether there were any other images but didn't think to zoom in on the images. Looking again and it's a 6.8MB file so the images are pretty good.

The main thing I was looking for was evidence of the standing section. I know it's been pretty much confirmed but until I see it I'll be worried that some over zealous OH&S person will can the idea at the last minute.

Yeah, certainly seems like they're at least adding the hand rails down the aisles in the hope of standing seating. Not sure what the WHS requirement is for them on a standing section as opposed to a seated section, maybe because you can't use the seats as a brace if you fall? I get the need on the steeper stands to move up and down.

A couple more observations......

1. The view in one of the coloured renders from the bridge on O'Connell street, looking north west towards the stadium. It looks huge. If this is reality, it will look great approaching from that direction. Certainly looks much higher than the current stadium.

2. In the 2 coloured  ground level renders, there's far more WSW's fans in the 1st photo than Eels fans in the 2nd. As it should be.

3. The black and white section images show nothing under the concourse levels.  ?? I don't think this is below ground level because the outside images show steps up to the middle concourse level. Gaz, any ideas, or am I seeing this wrong?

Edited by Wanderboy

why do the drawings have NRL field markings and stuff

:smurfnono::smurfpoint:

Probably more to do with that the NRL field is bigger, gives a more visual idea of the space behind the goals than anything else.

Surely we can't be all that surprised. The media and the state government will try to make this stadium upgrade all about Rugby League. They have probably convinced themselves that we aren't even coming back.

3. The black and white section images show nothing under the concourse levels.  ?? I don't think this is below ground level because the outside images show steps up to the middle concourse level. Gaz, any ideas, or am I seeing this wrong?

Yeah doesn't appear there should be anything underneath (probably will be on the western side, it will be dug down I assume).

The outdoor shot from the Victoria Road entrance is all at ground level, the step up on the O'Connell Street entrance is more for the fact that the pool is there at the moment, this hides the large height difference. With the pools gone there is nothing there to hide it. When you walk down O'Connell from the south you don't notice the hill as it's very subtle on the road side.

The stairs seem to over-dramatize it a bit, so perhaps they are raising the 'ground' level of the stadium slightly, which will be dealt with by having a small incline on the Victoria Road entrance, at the moment it dips down a bit.

Yeah doesn't appear there should be anything underneath (probably will be on the western side, it will be dug down I assume).

The outdoor shot from the Victoria Road entrance is all at ground level, the step up on the O'Connell Street entrance is more for the fact that the pool is there at the moment, this hides the large height difference. With the pools gone there is nothing there to hide it. When you walk down O'Connell from the south you don't notice the hill as it's very subtle on the road side.

The stairs seem to over-dramatize it a bit, so perhaps they are raising the 'ground' level of the stadium slightly, which will be dealt with by having a small incline on the Victoria Road entrance, at the moment it dips down a bit.

Ok. That makes sense. I think.

Certainly, there is an incline approaching from the south up O'Connell street so yes, those stairs to the stadium at the south end appear exaggerated in height but are probably close to reality.

I suppose I was just wondering that there appears to be a lot of space under the concourse level that is empty. I assume what you are saying is that this will be ground level and below, so probably earth filled?

Drove past the stadium, can see that they have started to put up the framework to fence off the stadium to the public, a good 3m tall fence!

Brilliant.

I haven't been past in a while so this is exciting news.

Get moving you lazy ******* builders.

Hey guys I can't see be hi res pics, how much looks to be set aside for rails? Just the middle bay of the bottom section? Or more?

Gazmon any idea how many people the rail section looks like?

Pumped for standing!

The images do not show any safe standing.

Hey guys I can't see be hi res pics, how much looks to be set aside for rails? Just the middle bay of the bottom section? Or more?

Gazmon any idea how many people the rail section looks like?

Pumped for standing!

Not sure exactly, but appears to be about 3 bays (based on previous drawings too) of the northern terrace (rather than the upper grandstand section), around 700-800 maybe? Around the world standing room is sold at 1.5 x capacity, so just over a 1,000 in total may be allocated for standing. But, the designs are just a guide at the moment.

There may be space underneath the stadium for car parking. Certainly looks like supports extend underneath, but have yet to see a section plan that shows anything below it. Will have to wait, again, for more detailed drawings.

FYI this is a section plan:

0e3d79448ed512f95c5a3ed16e26fe55.jpg

But, can't wait until we get more detailed drawings like this:

4cb481532dff10.87762341.jpg

I heard the pool won't get demolished till March/April this year. Colleague's children do swimming there and said they need to find another place to swim after March/April.

It makes sense they're open for the rest of summer at least. Get the kids school swimming carnivals out of the way and then close up before winter.

I heard the pool won't get demolished till March/April this year. Colleague's children do swimming there and said they need to find another place to swim after March/April.

It makes sense they're open for the rest of summer at least. Get the kids school swimming carnivals out of the way and then close up before winter.

Yep.

Plenty to do in those few months before the pool gets demolished.......like demolish the old shithole.

Gazmon, you're a man of talent and knowledge. 

do you know much about prefabricated stands from china, this is a little of a stretch I was talking about the difference in pricing in Australian built stadiums and overseas ones. 

Heard about a bloke in NZ building a small stadium for his rugby club from prefab stuff... not sure I'd want it used on a large scale though--from what I know of it.

Only 2-3 weeks and I start my Building Design course, very excited :) Basically, a draftsperson. Would love to even get a small sports complex project at some point.

do you know much about prefabricated stands from china, this is a little of a stretch I was talking about the difference in pricing in Australian built stadiums and overseas ones. 

Heard about a bloke in NZ building a small stadium for his rugby club from prefab stuff... not sure I'd want it used on a large scale though--from what I know of it.

Only 2-3 weeks and I start my Building Design course, very excited :) Basically, a draftsperson. Would love to even get a small sports complex project at some point.

Good luck mate!!

TBH, I reckon your talent has already been wasted.

I would have liked you to design the new WSS.

In saying that, they used most of your ideas anyway.

Good luck Gaz.

What type of course - don't suppose you would share a campus with Manfred?

Good luck Gaz.

What type of course - don't suppose you would share a campus with Manfred?

Building Design via OTEN. So correspondence. It's a TAFE Diploma. But, going to be tough juggling work, study and a 1-year old at home.

They have used some basic principles of what I had designed, from about 3-separate designs I did. They just took them and molded them together. Just shows I was on the right track I guess.

• mack locked this topic