Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

For me that stadium all depends on the Test pitch. If it's not like the fast bouncy WACA of old they can gtfo

#dropin = same as Adelaide/Melbounre

Makes sense, given that it will be an AFL venue too. The WACA, obviously, is cricket only.

Wonder what will happen at the WACA now. I'd like to see them redevelop it, still keep it for cricket but make it more of a boutique venue.

When is hunter stadium getting the teraces built at north and south end?

Never, as far as I know. It was part of the failed WC bid. There was some funding giving to the east/west stands and it didn't extend to the north/south ends. It's a shame really. Would be an amazing venue with it completed properly. 

For me that stadium all depends on the Test pitch. If it's not like the fast bouncy WACA of old they can gtfo

#dropin = same as Adelaide/Melbounre

Makes sense, given that it will be an AFL venue too. The WACA, obviously, is cricket only.

Wonder what will happen at the WACA now. I'd like to see them redevelop it, still keep it for cricket but make it more of a boutique venue.

I'd imagine it would be used still for WA's Shield side, and probably for the local AFL comp. That would be about it.

Love Campbelltown stadium. Facilities are a bit old (No ATM's/Eftpos) but it's in a great spot next to a big RSL and train station and is just a nice stadium all round. Capacity listed on wikipedia as 20k, which I assume includes the grassy hills? If not however you can imagine how good it'd be as a home ground for us if we, say, put in some temporary seating on the hilly ends to boost capacity by a couple of thousand.

10x better than SOPpy bollocks

Love Campbelltown stadium. Facilities are a bit old (No ATM's/Eftpos) but it's in a great spot next to a big RSL and train station and is just a nice stadium all round. Capacity listed on wikipedia as 20k, which I assume includes the grassy hills? If not however you can imagine how good it'd be as a home ground for us if we, say, put in some temporary seating on the hilly ends to boost capacity by a couple of thousand.

10x better than SOPpy bollocks

Move the RBB under cover also to boost the acoustics.

Felt like a proper home game in the proper west. God, it's just made me hate SOP that much more.

Games at full capacity would go off. Reminded me so much of Parra.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/scg-trust-to-stand-alone-after-government-reneges-on-supertrust-plan-20170125-gtymtk.html

No more stadium super-trust to oversee stadiums in NSW and a no comment position to the possibility of changes to the current stadium plans.

Stuart Ayres is the puppet of Alan Jones and the SCG Trust.

Needs to booted at the next state election

The Tassie bid are talking about a 10-15k stadium that can be built for $40m. That's super cheap for here. Is that even possible?

I think that is just changes to an existing [oval] stadium.

No, it's a new one. Rectangular.

Edited by Wanderboy

The Tassie bid are talking about a 10-15k stadium that can be built for $40m. That's super cheap for here. Is that even possible?

I think that is just changes to an existing [oval] stadium.

No, it's a new one. Rectangular.

they don't need a large stadium, a 10k stadium would be all they need. grandstand on one side, all seated on the other with hills on the ends.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/scg-trust-begin-push-for-new-40000seat-stadium-at-moore-park-20170206-gu6gqy.html

This article which outlines the latest plan being pushed by the SCG trust has some interesting new information.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian, who was spotted in the SCG Trust suite during the Sydney Test match last month prior to her promotion, has made it clear the funding priority would remain with Parramatta and ANZ Stadium.

and this

The Waratahs are believed to be exploring the possibility of venturing out west, likely to play some of its matches out of the new 30,000-seat Parramatta stadium due to open in 2019.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/scg-trust-begin-push-for-new-40000seat-stadium-at-moore-park-20170206-gu6gqy.html

This article which outlines the latest plan being pushed by the SCG trust has some interesting new information.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian, who was spotted in the SCG Trust suite during the Sydney Test match last month prior to her promotion, has made it clear the funding priority would remain with Parramatta and ANZ Stadium.

and this

The Waratahs are believed to be exploring the possibility of venturing out west, likely to play some of its matches out of the new 30,000-seat Parramatta stadium due to open in 2019.

Followed by this:

home of Sydney FC is up in the air and are most likely to resist being moved out of their existing home.

A potential new A-League club on the Shire would make Shark Park and Kogarah less appealing to the competition leaders.

While a move to the new Stadium in Parramatta would also be met with plenty of resistance given it will be the home of their arch rivals, Western Sydney Wanderers, who have struggled to attract fans at Spotless Stadium after leaving Pirtek Stadium.

Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City share AAMI Park in Melbourne, but the two teams aren't bound by geographical borders like the Wanderers and Sydney FC.

There is a suggestion a compensation pay-out to clubs will help them cope with the economic disadvantages of being dislocated.

Compensation? A modern stadium not enough for the poor darlings? Was that even a possibility for us and the Eels?

It would be more than a little amusing to have 'big brother' as our guest for the duration. The reaction from both sets of fans would be mind bogglingly funny. :rofl:

Edited by SomeGuy1977

and this

So the more money spent on Parramatta stadium means the less money available for SCG trust  :cheeky: just another reason to push for a 35k stadium. Anyhow they should be upping SCG capacity a lot more, still only 46k.

Edited by wengerboy

I like the SCG size. They make it bigger it's going to be just another soulless bowl like the MCG. In fact, I'm not sure I like the new stand in the outer ground (new member one is alright). The old Doug Walters open air stand with the open air section around it gave it a bit of character.

Now, apart from the old ladies and members pavillions, the rest of the ground is just modern stands, stands, stands. A cricket ground should have some connection to nature, as it is nature that determines the state of the pitch and game so much. Now the sunset over the old pavillions is all that is left to connect the SCG to the outside world. It's still got something magical about it, but only just.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic