Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that the SCG Trust putting in $50m towards a new $600m stadium means the cost to taxpayers is less than taxpayers paying for an entire $400m redevelopment? Or a $140m fix up?

The government should say "great, you'll put in $50m, here's $90m to fix the safety issues"

Then when they piss and moan the gov should make a noise in the media about high rollers only willing to put their money in to a new stadium and not caring about safety, as well as treating the public purse as a plaything, and then maybe agree to give them the $140m they need.

The safety thing is a giant red herring as well.

It gets "leaked" that ANZ Stadium would cost twice as much as initially indicated so it shouldn't be upgraded.

Then the SFS "needs" $50 million just for safety upgrades that "do nothing" to improve it.

Which means it should be knocked down and rebuilt for over half a billion dollars. No cost blowouts there though right?

You're all too biased. Each stadium attendee must have 2 square metres divisible by the temperature of the night sky, multiplied by the number of uncles they have, plus the amount in cash on the person and I have no idea what I'm talking about and neither does this article. 

Until people are hanging off the rafters like an African Cup of Nations opener, I'm sure it's perfectly fine and won't kill anyone. 

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

nobody ever stands up and rebukes these articles and propaganda.

One of the problems is that the SMH is manned by people who only ever go west of Anzac Bridge to watch sport every now and then.

Unfortunately, the only paper likely to support ANZ is the DT, because it knows its readers are westies who watch NRL. But then it has the problem that it's sports writers probably want ANZ refurb, but it's owned by a right winger who is in bed with conservative parties the world over.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, Wanderboy said:

So who is going to call these clowns to account?

I don't like quoting my own posts, but thought this time it was warranted.

What’s the Buzz: Sydney Roosters to play fewer games at Allianz Stadium
PHIL ROTHFIELD, Sports Editor-at-large, The Daily Telegraph
18 minutes ago

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres’ grand plan to redirect a large chunk of government money into Allianz Stadium is about to go belly-up with revelations the venue’s only permanent rugby league tenant, Sydney Roosters, intend to play fewer games at Moore Park.

Sources have revealed the Roosters are planning a new “home game” strategy that would involve three games on the Central Coast at Gosford, two in Sydney’s west at the new Parramatta Stadium, and one in Adelaide where they recently attracted more than 20,000 fans.

The Roosters already have a large footprint on the Central Coast through feeder club Wyong and have been enthused by a sellout crowd in Gosford last weekend for the game against Cronulla.

Recent research undertaken by the club also shows there has been an enormous membership shift to Sydney’s western suburbs where using the new 30,000-seat Parramatta Stadium for Panthers and Eels games would have huge appeal to fans, even if it means giving up the home-ground advantage.

This is the first sign of one of Sydney’s nine NRL clubs becoming a satellite franchise and taking games to where the money is and the fans are located.

The television product would be greatly improved by not having the regular backdrop of more than 30,000 empty seats and zero atmosphere at Allianz. Blockbuster matches, like the Anzac Day game against the Dragons, would remain at the Moore Park venue.

Ayres and the powerful SCG Trust have been working behind the scenes to overturn the NSW Government’s decision to redevelop ANZ Stadium as a world-class rectangular stadium.

Instead, they want much of the allocated $1.6 billion stadium funding to go towards a new 45,000-seat Allianz Stadium, despite the fact only Sydney FC in the A-League and the Waratahs Super Rugby franchise would be the only regular tenants.

Waratahs crowd figures have become so bad they no longer announce attendance figures.

Previous attempts by the NRL to convince other clubs to play at the venue have been flatly rejected.

The Trust is now running a public scare campaign about crowd safety issues at the old venue, even citing the possibility of a Hillsborough-type tragedy unless it is upgraded.

It’s a desperate tactic to convince the government to overturn former premier Mike Baird’s decision to give the majority of the funding to ANZ to build the best major event venue in the southern hemisphere.

It would become an 85,000-seat rectangular stadium and bring fans closer to the action for concerts, Origin games, grand finals and soccer blockbusters.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/4db985d5b79f8f19a38cb9a7b187d10e

Edited by Wanderboy

NRL  might as well drop the geographical component of their names and just keep the fluffy animals bit

It isn't Souths v Easts, or st George v Canterbury when they all play at Homebush anyway 

The use of the Hillsborough disaster without any understanding of it, makes me sick 

Edited by StringerBellend

Had to come to Belmore Oval today for work. Anybody who voted for this stadium as our temporary home either hasn't been here or needs their head checked.

It's a shithole that is worse to get to than SOP and there is absolutely no parking anywhere. There is also nothing else around except houses. 

I can't believe it was even floated as an option in the first place. SOP, Penrith and Campbelltown all **** on this hands down. 

Glad it didn't even get a look in. 

If there are any crowd safety concerns at the SFS it's nothing to do with the actual facility and more to do with the way they manage crowds.

I've been there when it's full and had no trouble getting around. I was also there for our season 1 Grand Final and that was dodgy as hell. The building was exactly the same in both cases.

I've seen first hand at our SFS grand final how bad the crowd management can be, but that was a management problem, not a venue/infrastructure problem.

If I were the Premier and saw this bloke trying to undermine me, I'd try and reshuffle him away from the portfolio. For extra lols I'd say "Well if safety is a huge problem and the cost to redevelop ANZ is so high, I'll begin an investigation to see how much both stadiums will cost to knock down, how much money we could sell the land at the SFS to a property company, and then work on a plan for a knock-down rebuild of ANZ and build a few boutique stadiums in the city".

See what Alan Jones & Ayres think about that.

7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The use of the Hillsborough disaster without any understanding of it, makes me sick 

Yeh, me too.

I thought that comment was ignorant and in poor taste. But that's Rothfield.

The reason I posted the article is because finally, someone is calling out Jones and Ayres, just like I asked for earlier.

4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Yeh, me too.

I thought that comment was ignorant and in poor taste. But that's Rothfield.

The reason I posted the article is because finally, someone is calling out Jones and Ayres, just like I asked for earlier.

He's only reporting what the Trust people (ie, Alan Jones and Ayres) have said to try and pump up their bullshit safety narrative.

Just now, mack said:

He's only reporting what the Trust people (ie, Alan Jones and Ayres) have said to try and pump up their bullshit safety narrative.

Ok. Had forgotten that the comment in question had come from the Trust.

Shame on them.

Seriously, how can a Hillsborough happen at Allianz? Just stupid comments.

Good on you Rothfield. Telling it like it is. That's one thing about ageing journos - they don't give a **** about the politics.

It's funny - I have been using a mate's SCG membership the last few years and they don't hesitate to tell people how good the venues and precinct are when they want ridiculously high fees for them, but then it's a safety issue when they want an upgrade.

Considering they have something like a 20 year waitlist on memberships, charge through the roof, and who knows how much they charge for those gold ones that use the pool and gym, they should bloody well pay for their own upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-chief-executive-todd-greenberg-wants-anz-stadium-business-case-rebuild-fasttracked-20170719-gxe46o.html

More speculation and conjecture around construction start dates, funding models and construction timetables.

And if ANZ is closed earlier for the upgrade guess who would miss out on having it available for major matches in the first half of 2019!!!

LOL GWS.

They can't even fill Spotless for derbies and finals without mountains of fans from other teams turning up. Leaving an 80k stadium for them is crazy. So they try to scare the government into thinking we will miss big events:

"We would rather see it stay as an oval that could handle major oval events, whether that be cricket, AFL, Commonwealth or Olympic Games," GWS chairman Tony Shepherd told Fairfax Media.

Yeah, we got the Olympics in 2000, we aren't getting them again while ANZ is still an appropriately modern venue. And does anyone really want the Commonwealth Games? It will never come to Sydney, it needs to go to smaller cities where people will actually care.

"We got over 60,000 there last year for a final against the Swans," said Shepherd, who is also the chairman of the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust.

LOL so you use it on the odd occasion you get a local derby as a semi-final. How often is that going to happen?

If I've got my Greater Western Sydney hat on,

LOLOLOLOLOL your position as Chairman of the group that wants to get the money that is due for ANZ has nothing to do with your stance, right Tone? This city...

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic