FFA Cup 2017

6 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Yeh, the bench depth looked pretty bare but surely they have others to bring on other than carney, Simon & Retre? Great first XI, gun new guy guy but depth?

Also, Redmayne was keeper. Thought they had Cisak?

They were horrible from the outset, they were clueless on field, embarrassing really. I don't know what they were doing out there, no forward/striker on the field left them running around like a headless chook. Surely you throw Cahill on there at halftime to give them that something extra?

You worry for the new manager and hope that these new signings coming through will be good for them.

Can someone confirm whether City started going Kamikaze and taking out players?

Looked like Brosque hurt himself off a corner, just the way he landed? 

The only person I saw deserving of a yellow was Simon within a few minutes of arriving on the field :lol: 

I heard Rallis talk about Melb Vic and the Smurfs on a pod and he said that they were going both going in thin on squads. Apparently, the polish guy is on 600k so has taken a lot of the smurfs salary cap as it stands just like Troisi for Melb Vic.

7 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Yeh, the bench depth looked pretty bare but surely they have others to bring on other than carney, Simon & Retre? Great first XI, gun new guy guy but depth?

Also, Redmayne was keeper. Thought they had Cisak?

They were horrible from the outset, they were clueless on field, embarrassing really. I don't know what they were doing out there, no forward/striker on the field left them running around like a headless chook. Surely you throw Cahill on there at halftime to give them that something extra?

You worry for the new manager and hope that these new signings coming through will be good for them.

Can someone confirm whether City started going Kamikaze and taking out players?

Looked like Brosque hurt himself off a corner, just the way he landed? 

The only person I saw deserving of a yellow was Simon within a few minutes of arriving on the field :lol: 

What took him so long? Grub of a player

On 9/7/2017 at 3:45 PM, lloydy136 said:

LOL at the self righteousness of some on here

its easy to be so dedicated when your only commitment is work/uni.

I'd love to go to this game but I won't make it because my son has his basketball grand final (assuming they win next week) just like I didn't make the wellington trial match because I was coaching his 12s football team in the week before a semi final.

Its not the 'home in bed' problem for me its all the stuff kids have on during the week.

parenting >>>>>>>>> midweek preseason football (although it is nice when you can do both at once)

guess I'll just have to live with being labelled a soft derby only fan. lol.

mate,  i was calling your penalties soft. :P

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

I wonder what the draw will look like if we beat Blacktown 

17 Oct - FFA Cup Semi-final 1 

21 Oct - HAL R3 WSW v smurfs

25 Oct - FFA Cup Semi-final 2

The draw may be rigged to stop a repeat derby.

Smurfs will get the NPL club, we'll get Adelaide

8 minutes ago, mack said:

OR

We beat Blacktown, then we get Gold Coast or whoever they are playing, and then we beat Adelaide.

Yep. 

The only sugar hit the FFA want is a Sydney Derby in November since Melb Vic is out.  

Can see it now, Australia beat Syria game at ANZ on Oct 10 so the Roos plays the Intercontinental playoff against ? On the 12 Nov at ANZ. Then to be followed by the FFA Cup Final on the 17 Nov at ANZ.

Crowd for the Sydney v City game was posted as just over 4k. Looked a bit bigger than that and a few smurfs up in arms. I only saw a couple of highlights and 4k appeared on the low side but certainly not close to 10k as some were claiming. Maybe a fair few jumped the turnstiles !!

WSW v Adelaide

South Melbourne v smurfs

Well we got the A-league team but at this stage the home game is helpful. Right at the start of the A-league calendar, good to stay at home. Also, the Hellas game won't be an easy road trip.

Will be interesting to see who plays when. Would love to see smurfs play 4 days before the derby, just to hear Arnie whinge. Though if they play after the derby he'd probably whinge that the draw makes it harder for them to win the FFA Cup lol

33 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to NOT schedule the Matilda's game on the same day as the final?

And why is the final not scheduled for the weekend in the first place anyhow? 

Should be a stand-alone weekend with no other football on. Or, we go for the original idea before the competition even started of having the final on Australia Day.

4 minutes ago, Gazmon said:

Should be a stand-alone weekend with no other football on. Or, we go for the original idea before the competition even started of having the final on Australia Day.

I'm beginning to think the FFA Cup should run like this

QF

SF week later 

Final week later

Pre-season for A-league, just post -season for NPL

Just now, Paul01 said:

QF

SF week later 

Final week later

That could work. Would be very condensed that's for sure :)

Just complicates things with the HAL and NPL running in opposite seasons...

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

QF

SF week later 

Final week later

FFA Cup Final should be played on the 2nd Saturday night in October annually, one week after the NRL & AFL GFs.

That way it's concluded prior to the AL season commencing & can be treated as our version of the Charity Shield.

All that needs to happen is we condense the cup competition by 1 round ie: if last night's QF was a SF, the final could easily be played on Saturday 7th October as a stand alone feature.

The only other sports event that weekend is the Bathurst 1000,  so Fox Sports should be pushing for such content, during what is usually an International window

Comments in this article support the need to condense the Cup competition.

NPL clubs are at a distinct disadvantage, now that their season has concluded

SEPTEMBER 21 2017 - 11:15AM

South Melbourne to host Sydney FC in dream FFA Cup semi-final

• Vince Rugari
South Melbourne are ready to prove they belong in the A-League when they host reigning champions Sydney FC in a dream FFA Cup semi-final next month.

The four-time National Soccer League champions have landed another golden chance to spruik their expansion credentials after smashing Gold Coast City 6-0 in Wednesday night's quarter-final at Robina.

South Melbourne coach Chris Taylor.

South Melbourne coach Chris Taylor. Photo: Wayne Hawkins

South's A-League bid chairman Bill Papastergiadis has promised a sellout crowd at Lakeside Stadium for the tantalising clash against the Sky Blues in mid-October - the club's biggest moment since the demise of the NSL.

But the odds are stacked against them as they seek to become the first state league side to reach the FFA Cup final.

Preparations will go on without coach Chris Taylor, who is heading to Bali for a three-week holiday with his family.

Taylor's assistants will oversee training until his return but with the NPL season finished, it's unlikely South will play another match before meeting Graham Arnold's all-conquering outfit – who by then should have reached peak fitness and form.

"We'll monitor it the right way but that's where it becomes difficult for the semi-pro clubs," Taylor said.

"It will mean that over seven weeks we'll have played one competitive game.

"There's no other teams out there other than A-League teams and they've got their programs pretty much together now.

"We can't just go up and ask for a game next week."

Two more wins, however unlikely, would see South Melbourne claim their first piece of national silverware since winning the 1998/99 NSL grand final under Ange Postecoglou.

Striker Milos Lujic, who put two goals past an outclassed Gold Coast, reckons they are in with a genuine shot.

"We've been training all year for that, I'll be honest with you. All they've been talking about is the FFA Cup," he said.

"Hopefully we get a massive crowd, it'll be great for everyone.

"The way we're playing at the moment, we can push an A-League team, so we'll go into the next round with confidence."

Regardless, it is a priceless opportunity for a club that has made no bones about its ambition to return to the country's top tier.

"It means a lot. We've shown we're a team that's knocking on the door, on and off the pitch," Papastergiadis said.

Western Sydney will host Adelaide United in the other semi-final, with details for both matches to be confirmed by the end of the week.

AAP