Squad Development 2017/18

Just watched Popa's press conference with Jumpei at his side as MOTM. 18 contracted players so far and a much younger group! Looking for contributions from the whole team like season 2015-16 (Bridge, Santa and Mitch) for goals.

Jumpei will be with us next season and the Club will talk to the Greek clubs on Nico and Terry. 

He did say it was an adjustment to the new stadiums with Spotless a bit more of a home in the second half of the season.

44 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Mullen, Poljak are available. 

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4653904/kantarovski-survives-jets-cleanout/

If poljak got his PR, he would be a good squaddie. I'm sure he'll take a pay cut to return back to us. 

Same article says they are interested in Mitch 

I'd hope he'd stay rather than go there

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

If they don't we can get them hanging out with some nrl players and plant some white powder on them 

Is that what you call a "snow" job ?

With us missing out on Ferreira would some one like Carrusca who seems to be out the door from adel utd fit well with us? takes up a visa spot but better quality than jumpei and sotirio, and also contributes more than Roly i would say.

Cirio is another decent player also on the out who can play wing but seems the mariners might have him close to being signed up

1 hour ago, tranquilo said:

With us missing out on Ferreira would some one like Carrusca who seems to be out the door from adel utd fit well with us? takes up a visa spot but better quality than jumpei and sotirio, and also contributes more than Roly i would say.

Cirio is another decent player also on the out who can play wing but seems the mariners might have him close to being signed up

Ryan Williams just released by Barnsley.

Only 23 so fits the youth tag and Olyroo🤔

5 hours ago, magicwand said:

For those not convinced about Nico, Roly would probably be his replacement. Feeling reassured? He might give you the odd spectacular goal but from what I have seen he has the character and consistency of a wet lettuce. Flair-wise he's not in Nico's class. The thought of Jumpei on one wing and Roly on the other doesn't quite get the blood racing.

that is true i still want Danny Choi i cant believe no A-league club has picked him up

i think with Roly if we sign him we really need to wait because Popa can bring out consistency in inconsistent players so if he could do that with Roly then we are onto something good

Regarding attacking foreigners and marquees - the way we play, we often pass the ball around nicely but then when we get into the attacking third, we either take the easy way out and just pass out wide - where we either don't cross or don't cross well enough - or we  play it into someone on the edge of the box but they play the way they are facing, so either back out or out wide again.  

We lack a dude who can cause - as Ned would say - havoc in the box. We need someone who can penetrate. Whether that's through holding off and turning his man through strength or being a nippy, creative little bugger doesn't really matter. If I'm a CB against the Wanderers, I know all I have to do is come up behind them - not even right up, I can stay half a metre away - and more often than not they will just play it back out of the danger area. There's no stress on the defenders, no decisions for them to make or worries about whether or not they should lunge in etc.

Nico is the clear exception and he should be able to do this, but too often he's hanging out on the wing or just somehow not making enough impact for a man with his talents.

We need SOMEONE, whether it's a true #10 or a #9, who can ask some questions in the box without needing a pass to open him up into space. Add some quick, direct wide men and bob's your uncle.

Just now, btron3000 said:

Yeah he tries but he's a bit too lumbery, if that's a word!

If it's not a word already, it should be! He is a gangle - seems to go up and down on the same blade of grass, and then fall over.

Wanderers announce player departures

1/1

The Club has today announced a number of departures from the 2016/17 playing group

Thursday, 11 May 2017 -

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today confirmed the departure of a number of players from the Club’s 2016/17 squad.

Dimas, Mitch Nichols, Scott Neville, Bruno Piñatares, Ryan Griffiths, Liam Youlley, Stefan Zinni and Emilio Martinez have all parted ways with the Wanderers following the conclusion of their contracts.

Captain Dimas departs after making 58 appearances and scoring six goals in his two seasons with the Wanderers.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/c5/51/dimas_m0jofi3hm7xz10k3du3vpec2l.png?t=-171224821

Dimas

The 34-year-old midfielder arrived from Recreativo in Spain and immediately established himself as one of the league’s premier midfielders, playing a key role in the Wanderers’ charge to their third Grand Final in the 2015/16 season.

The Spaniard received the honour of being named just the third captain in Wanderers history and leaves having been the Club’s top pass-maker in both of his seasons at Western Sydney.

Vice-captain Mitch Nichols says farewell after a stellar two seasons at the Wanderers, where he scored 13 goals in his 63 appearances.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/c3/41/mitch-nichols_oz1evnv740d61j00p33egmdc4.jpg?t=1091146603

Mitch Nichols

The 28-year-old midfielder will look back fondly particularly on his debut season with Club, in which he was selected in the PFA Team of the Season and named both the Members’ Player of the Year presented by Coffee Emporium and the Rod Allen Award: Media Player of the Year at last year’s Wanderers Medal.

Scott Neville departs after spending the past two seasons at the Wanderers, making 60 appearances and netting three goals, including a sensational strike in the 2015/16 Hyundai A-League Grand Final.

The 28-year-old was a mainstay at right back during his time in Red & Black and will now return to Western Australia with hometown side Perth Glory.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/ff/4f/neville_185gznt5ccm9q1ao2cge9rwtpm.png?t=-171224821

Neville

Uruguayan Bruno Piñatares will say goodbye after making 21 appearances across all competitions, as will striker Ryan Griffiths who made appearances seven for the Club after signing mid-way through the season.

Midfielder Liam Youlley, who made four appearances and scored one goal, winger Stefan Zinni, who made two appearances for the Wanderers, and midfielder Emilio Martinez also depart following the conclusion of the contracts.

Meanwhile, Argentine marquee Nicolás Martinez and midfielder Terry Antonis will return to parent Clubs Olympiacos and PAOK respectively following the conclusion of their loan deals with the Wanderers.

- See more at: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-announce-player-departures/ep9eu8q58al31ahg4beasajzp#sthash.ITGd7Rg9.dpuf
Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-announce-player-departures/ep9eu8q58al31ahg4beasajzp#iicP4LlZYTZ3jo5U.99

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic