Squad Development 2017/18

2 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Seriously, what ever you are smoking seems to be having a long term effect on your brain

yeh probably 

but I'll be optimistic when we can flog a ten man mvc and win the derbies and be top of the table then I'll be like cheering about our signings

Edited by JayZko

Just to keep his name in the spotlight, I saw this posted about Martinez on a US site:

I spoke with Donald Wine II of Stars & Stripes FC about the A-League and Martinez in particular. Wine said that Martinez “is an attacking winger that doesn’t really score. He’s had five or six goals in the past two years. I haven’t seen a ton of WSW matches, but they normally play him on the wing, not as a 10.” I also asked about the quality of the A-League in comparison with MLS, and Wine said “There's a lot of people who think A-League is on par, but it really isn't at all. Sydney FC would have probably finished below the red line in either conference in MLS and they stormed everyone to take the league.”

Forget about Martinez, who is this gobbler that thinks the MLS is so good?

Another American Donald.

Well, its not rocket science that any league that can fork out the $$$$ will have a better league on average, however WSW proved that wrong a few years back. Even though I don't think we will witness the likes of that again for a long time, we push on.

I hate comparisons, feeds into the euro snob crap.

17 minutes ago, mack said:

They have an inflated sense of the quality of their league.

It definitely is inflated but the MLS undeniably has the edge. I was pleasantly surprised going to 5 or 6 games last year and this year.

Mack, off the back of of our discussion last week re Sotirio/Ibini/Hoole - the MLS is filled with fantastic American athletes that are filled with promise by show little. Marvel Wynne is the perfect example. He came into the MLS as the fastest American in professional American sport, bar none. He simply learned to play at a passable level because he loves the sport so much.

But that's not where they outshine the HAL. They have a strong stream of Mexican and Argentine young players who Command bigger salaries in the states than they do at home, so they make the move. These guys will never set the world alight or play for their country but would comfortably replicate Fornarolis results here

35 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

It definitely is inflated but the MLS undeniably has the edge. I was pleasantly surprised going to 5 or 6 games last year and this year.

Mack, off the back of of our discussion last week re Sotirio/Ibini/Hoole - the MLS is filled with fantastic American athletes that are filled with promise by show little. Marvel Wynne is the perfect example. He came into the MLS as the fastest American in professional American sport, bar none. He simply learned to play at a passable level because he loves the sport so much.

But that's not where they outshine the HAL. They have a strong stream of Mexican and Argentine young players who Command bigger salaries in the states than they do at home, so they make the move. These guys will never set the world alight or play for their country but would comfortably replicate Fornarolis results here

From the little MLS I've watched, I found the league to be a bit more open and a little tactically naive. Did you find the same? 

1 hour ago, matty said:

From the little MLS I've watched, I found the league to be a bit more open and a little tactically naive. Did you find the same? 

Yes. from what I've heard from a family member that coaches in the MLS, the youth system doesn't foster tactical brains because the high school coaches are well below the standard of our sap and rep coaches. The best players coming through are result of a huge high school playing base. Basically it's a league full of athletes rather than footballers.

Even college coaches are often failed MLS players who didn't get raised on a diet of good football.

SFC might not have scored as many goals in that league but they may not have conceded many more than they did here. The MLS really lacks defensive brains

44 minutes ago, matty said:

Nice, thanks for the insight Upthehill 

No problems mate. I could genuinely go on about the failings and successes of American football for days. But thats maybe a better conversation had over a pre/post game beer

7 minutes ago, JayZko said:

I dare say I think the Socceroos under Ange need to give the yanks a touch up before Russia 2018 I think we would be more then capable don't you

Maybe. Guys like Pulisic and Brooks would tear us to shreds in their sleep. But they come from a player base of 13 million high school players, around 7.7m of whom are boys versus 1.3m males across all ages in australia. It's no shame that they turn out better players than us, but they should be ashamed that they turn out so few

No sorry I don't believe for one second we are second rate to the yanks

i believe were a bunch of pessimist and the our ladies are the 1st to stop thinking like it and got results

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic