Squad Development 2017/18

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Well I misunderstood that one , it was not midfielder it was covering the midriff , the new Jersey announcement ,:shok:

I was close you unappreciative lot  :crazy:

Next time I will tell you nothing :ninja:

PS: atleast it got the tossers off talking and comparing MLS to A league , really like who cares, take it elsewhere  :shout:

Feel free to drop in again when we are about to sign a new jersey or something, or when you want to talk about your cousins, or geography.

We had a guy here a while back who kept posting photos of crowds, and maps. Lots of maps. Too funny. 

11 hours ago, FCB said:

Feel free to drop in again when we are about to sign a new jersey or something, or when you want to talk about your cousins, or geography.

We had a guy here a while back who kept posting photos of crowds, and maps. Lots of maps. Too funny. 

To be fair there was a gap in the map coverage on the forum....

So smurfs have put a big signing under the cap, we did a while back with Castelan. So do we think this last visa spot will be big, or just ok? I'm to lazy to get the salary cap calculator out 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

So smurfs have put a big signing under the cap, we did a while back with Castelan. So do we think this last visa spot will be big, or just ok? I'm to lazy to get the salary cap calculator out 

I've you'd got the calculator out you'd know it won't be a big signing as we wouldn't have a huge amount of space left. I'd imagine it would be for a utility across multiple positions rather than a guaranteed first teamer.

21 hours ago, konsequence said:

Who was the person that came up with that cringeworthy Advance Australia Fair (Taurus Remix) rendition? Was it Spotty or Happy? I get em confused...

Whoever it was should be congratulated.

I like the idea of an ode to Taurus

7 hours ago, Carns said:

I've you'd got the calculator out you'd know it won't be a big signing as we wouldn't have a huge amount of space left. I'd imagine it would be for a utility across multiple positions rather than a guaranteed first teamer.

Glen trifro been looking good lol

On 8/13/2017 at 1:52 PM, Carns said:

shannon cole would be a nice pick up

On 13/08/2017 at 1:52 PM, Carns said:

What do you base that on out of interest? I cant imagine we paid Borda much to bugger off which means we would have the majority of his cap space available. I imagine there are some good options out there for what we paid Borda

17 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

What do you base that on out of interest? I cant imagine we paid Borda much to bugger off which means we would have the majority of his cap space available. I imagine there are some good options out there for what we paid Borda

Borda was apparently on $150-200k. If you're looking for a proven attacker to move half way round the world, you'll often have to pay more than that. Obviously this also depends on how much of the cap is already allocated to the rest of the squad.

This is all pure speculation, nothing more.

12 hours ago, Carns said:

Borda was apparently on $150-200k. If you're looking for a proven attacker to move half way round the world, you'll often have to pay more than that. Obviously this also depends on how much of the cap is already allocated to the rest of the squad.

This is all pure speculation, nothing more.

If people are giving you ranges of what Borda was on, they're guessing.

It's been mentioned on this forum a few times that he was on a staggering amount for his ability, so I don't really know what that means. 

We also rolled over $103k in unused cap space from last season which I can't for the life of me see how that would already have been taken up. 

But in his league you won't get a 'proven' attacker unless they are marquee, and even then you still get your Pios on the world. You go hunting for potential, sometimes you get Berisha, sometimes you get Saba

14 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

It's been mentioned on this forum a few times that he was on a staggering amount for his ability, so I don't really know what that means. 

We also rolled over $103k in unused cap space from last season which I can't for the life of me see how that would already have been taken up. 

But in his league you won't get a 'proven' attacker unless they are marquee, and even then you still get your Pios on the world. You go hunting for potential, sometimes you get Berisha, sometimes you get Saba

I slightly Disagree about not getting proven attacker under the cap. Back to my earlier post smurfs just signed a polish international under the cap, we had castelan under the cap, victory had Rojas  etc. 

Generally it's possible  to get a biggish signing under the cap.

all depends what we have left

top of my head we have had a higher end cap player in Nichols go, but I'm guessing Roly is on similar if not more money

Id also speculate that given we temporarily moved Jumpei outside of cap last year, that he is on more money than his performances warrent.

Personally I think we should be going all out for carrusca. 

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Risdon and Bonevacia would command decent salaries, can't imagine Thwaite is on peanuts either (not suggesting they're huge earners, but most of our replacements are either like for like or upgrades). Our scouting network has proven to be very hit and miss, it seems that the club has decided to bite the bullet and pay for "proven" quality (the two marquees).

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

I slightly Disagree about not getting proven attacker under the cap. Back to my earlier post smurfs just signed a polish international under the cap, we had castelan under the cap, victory had Rojas  etc. 

Generally it's possible  to get a biggish signing under the cap.

all depends what we have left

The Pole is apparently on $600k/season. Which is more than 20% of the cap ($2.92M).

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

Risdon and Bonevacia would command decent salaries, can't imagine Thwaite is on peanuts either (not suggesting they're huge earners, but most of our replacements are either like for like or upgrades). Our scouting network has proven to be very hit and miss, it seems that the club has decided to bite the bullet and pay for "proven" quality (the two marquees).

The Pole is apparently on $600k/season. Which is more than 20% of the cap ($2.92M).

That's why King Smurf has a small squad again this season. He does have a visa spot still open but how much left in the cap is another question.

He is banking on no injuries again this season. 

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Thwaite is indeed on peanuts. Much less than Borda. I spoke to him and Griff when the each signed. Both had a subtle whinge about giant pay cuts

Dimas and Pinatares will have vacated a good slab of cash and have only been replaced by Herd. Nichols is probably an even swap for Roly. The only area we've added $$ to the cap in the way of head count is King Fathead.

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

slightly Disagree about not getting proven attacker under the cap. Back to my earlier post smurfs just signed a polish international under the cap, we had castelan under the cap, victory had Rojas  etc

Castalan came with an injury plagued career. Rojas was using victory to relaunch his career and he was FAR from proven, failing in the german 4th tier - an amateur league. Vidosic did the same and didnt learn his lesson. I get the point you are making, I just can't think of any that were real stand outs when they got here

Sydney will get it's bollocks kicked in this year if they get 2 more injuries. Arnie has gone the Kevin Muscat approach where he spent up on the 1st 11 and no one else. Muscat did it a few years ago and injuries ****ed his whole season. 

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Sydney will get it's bollocks kicked in this year if they get 2 more injuries. Arnie has gone the Kevin Muscat approach where he spent up on the 1st 11 and no one else. Muscat did it a few years ago and injuries ****ed his whole season. 

Victory currently have only 16 players on the books. Very strong starting 11, and then a gaping hole.

The ageing Smurf squad promises to cause issues:

Mierzejewski turning 31 in November (Cejudo 34 in Jan)
Ninkovic turning 33 in December (Roly 26 in October)
Bobo turning 33 in January (Oriol 31)
Wilkinson 33 (Cornflakes 32 in October)
Carney turning 34 in November (don't know who to put here for comparion)
Brosque turning 34 in October (Beidgey 32 in November)
Wilkshire turning 36 in October (Risdon 25)

Arnie will have to play his old guys a lot as he doesn't have any quality on the bench. They will leak more goals, the injuries are bound to happen, and they will find it more difficult in the big games.

Holosko and Milos both needed a season to fully acclimatize. If the same happens with the Pole. then they have another problem. He won't know what hit him when he steps out into the Perth sun or the Brisbane humidity. And Wilkshire will get a big shock when he is paired up with a fast physical winger after 70 minutes (if he lasts that long).

7 minutes ago, FCB said:

Clisby (who is 25).

This season is shaping up to be a bit similar to our first season, perhaps even better for us.

Our first season CCM finished on 54 points which was actually 3 better than the previous season, but we still won the Premiership.

Victory & Adelaide came from the bottom half the season before to finish 3rd & 4th while Brisbane basically fell apart when Ange quit to join Victory, Rado taking over then getting sacked upstairs & replaced by Mulvey after 11 rounds. Looking at their squad & their FFA Cup performance it looks like Roar have consigned themselves to a mid-table finish.

If we consider SFC to be the CCM of this analogy, SFC have lost some key talent whose replacements may not be as good and/or require more time to get used to the A-League.

Victory are much the same, if the lose Berisha they haven't got a hope and if we're lucky their delaying on signing foreigners will cost them.

Perth will be the same wildcards they always are, with a squad that can score goals but a defence that will leak them.

Nix, Jets & CCM might as well be locked in for bottom 4, although CCM look like they might challenge Adelaide & Perth for a finals spot.

So far the table would hopefully be looking something like:

Top 2: SFC & WSW
3 to 4: MVC & City
5 to 6: Perth & Roar
7-10: Adelaide, Mariners, Nix, Jets.

The biggest potential changes there are:
* MVC signing multiple gun foreigners and challenging for the title.
* SFC season falling apart with injury & ACL
* Roar starting slowly & giving up.
* Mariners spring a few surprises and finishing in the 6.
* Popa's never changing 4-2-3-1 keeping our tactics predictable and easy to shut down.

23 minutes ago, FCB said:

Victory currently have only 16 players on the books. Very strong starting 11, and then a gaping hole.

The ageing Smurf squad promises to cause issues:

Mierzejewski turning 31 in November (Cejudo 34 in Jan)
Ninkovic turning 33 in December (Roly 26 in October)
Bobo turning 33 in January (Oriol 31)
Wilkinson 33 (Cornflakes 32 in October)
Brosque turning 34 in October (Beidgey 32 in November)
Wilkshire turning 36 in October (Risdon 25)

Arnie will have to play his old guys a lot as he doesn't have any quality on the bench. They will leak more goals, the injuries are bound to happen, and they will find it more difficult in the big games.

Holosko and Milos both needed a season to fully acclimatize. If the same happens with the Pole. then they have another problem. He won't know what hit him when he steps out into the Perth sun or the Brisbane humidity. And Wilkshire will get a big shock when he is paired up with a fast physical winger after 70 minutes (if he lasts that long).

The polish will know heat. His last gig was in the UAE.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/adrian-mierzejewski/profil/spieler/16955

Edited by Paul01
Added info

Smufs are running the risk of not coping with injury due to small squad.  I wonder if Arnie is counting on that you can get injury replacements and allocate the injured players cap to them.

Basically deal with it if/when it happens. That way you get stack your first 11 and only use cap $ on injury cover in the position you neee it. Rather than using cap space on cover for multiple positions.

They can you can also use the ACL squad to have players training with A League squad but not being paid under cap. We did it with Yojiro and Tanaka (not for injury cover but for I wish that Saba and adeleke would get the hell out cover)

Back to us, if we don't have enough in the cap to use our last foreign spot on a player who strengthens match day squad then we might as well save  the foreign spot until Jan. Which gives flexibility to use it on what we need then and also pay a higher salary (but for less time), basically like smurfs did last year, when they used it to get cover at Centre back.

Sorry about the nerdy nature of the post 

First of all more nerdy posts if they are like that stinger - To be honest if that's true than Arnold is a genius that way you can always pick up a decent player, is there anywhere that confirms that 

it seems impossible to find out the A-League salary cap finer details 

Im suprised more clubs don't do it especially those not in acl where u can get away with smaller squads 

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Smufs are running the risk of not coping with injury due to small squad.  I wonder if Arnie is counting on that you can get injury replacements and allocate the injured players cap to them.

Basically deal with it if/when it happens. That way you get stack your first 11 and only use cap $ on injury cover in the position you neee it. Rather than using cap space on cover for multiple positions.

They can you can also use the ACL squad to have players training with A League squad but not being paid under cap. We did it with Yojiro and Tanaka (not for injury cover but for I wish that Saba and adeleke would get the hell out cover)

Back to us, if we don't have enough in the cap to use our last foreign spot on a player who strengthens match day squad then we might as well save  the foreign spot until Jan. Which gives flexibility to use it on what we need then and also pay a higher salary (but for less time), basically like smurfs did last year, when they used it to get cover at Centre back.

Sorry about the nerdy nature of the post 

Mate, don't apologise for thoughtful, analytical discussion. A+ post.

At this point we don't have much to discuss re signings so I thought I would pose a different type of squad dev question. In the last few years we've seen flops (saba/pio), revelations (baccus) and late stage career booms (Santa/Covic).

Who are your POSITIVE predictions for squad development from a performance perspective? 

Personally my pick for revelations will be Clisby. He's got a wicked motor and the kid can shoot very well for a bloke that has never scored an A-League goal. I think he will benefit from bridge and Roly giving him early balls in space. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic