Sydney FC: Season 2017/18

They've kept majority of the key first 11 players. 

Not sure about Wilkshire but could do the job, (Neville did for us 2 season ago in a good team)

Bobo

Brosque (maybe new player) Ninko Polish Dude

Brilliante O'Neill

Zullo Wilko Bujis Wilkshire

Cisak

- Definitely top 2-3 team again. Unless they get some bad run of injuries. 

Should be very strong again, top 4 for sure, but backing up is never easy and I think some players from last season might not hit the same heights.

Brosque was great for them and lead by example, he isn't getting any younger, can he maintain the same level across another season....another few players that were outstanding last season may not necessarily take that forward at the same level.

They are going to be challenging again of course but I would be surprised if they blow everyone away like they did last season.

1 hour ago, WSWBoro said:

Should be very strong again, top 4 for sure, but backing up is never easy and I think some players from last season might not hit the same heights.

Brosque was great for them and lead by example, he isn't getting any younger, can he maintain the same level across another season....another few players that were outstanding last season may not necessarily take that forward at the same level.

They are going to be challenging again of course but I would be surprised if they blow everyone away like they did last season.

100% agree.

I also think that people are forgetting just how many times Vukovic saved their skins and/or teams missed open goals/sitters. They'll come back to the pack. Just how far back is the question.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

They better start as well as they did last season and begin accumulating points immediately, because they will inevitably drop off a bit once ACL starts. Particularly with the high average age of their squad.

Arnie's propensity for grumpiness and pointing the finger when things aren't going so well is another reason they need a good start.

Best outcome for them - start well, get out in front, focus on A-league when ACL comes around because Arnie wants to be first dude to go back-to-back, and they fight off the challengers and win it again.

Worst outcome - start poorly, couple of injuries, Arnie starts the blame game, ACL hits, they struggle to 6th or 7th.

Likely somewhere in between. I'll plump for 3rd.

55 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Arnie's propensity for grumpiness and pointing the finger when things aren't going so well is another reason they need a good start.

Best outcome for them - start well, get out in front, focus on A-league when ACL comes around because Arnie wants to be first dude to go back-to-back, and they fight off the challengers and win it again.

Worst outcome - start poorly, couple of injuries, Arnie starts the blame game, ACL hits, they struggle to 6th or 7th.

Likely somewhere in between. I'll plump for 3rd.

They won't finish outside the top 4 for sure, but they will be closer to the rest this time.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/08/12/sydney-fc-sign-polish-winger-mierzejewski-0

It's official. Signed for three years. Looking at their squad, I'm perplexed how they squeezed him under the cap unless he's taken a massive pay cut to be here. Maybe his ACL match payments are extraordinarily high so as to allow a low AL salary. 

They've only signed 17 first team players. They still have 6 empty spots.

Aaron Calver's salary (unless it's by some miracle above 150k) would be completely outside the cap as a homegrown player. They probably have the two youth players Zuvela & Lokingloy under this concession as well, so they've got an additional $150k to spend on the other players.

They also have what is likely to be a $200,000 cap concession from loyalty bonus. Seb Ryall with 40% and Rhyan Grant 45% which the FFA have probably let apply to their injury replacement Luke Wilkshire.

Bobo & Ninkovic are marquees.

So really they've got $2.60 million to spend on 1 more U20 youth player, between 3 to 6 additional first team players, and their current inside the cap players, Redmayne, Wilkinson, Buijs, Brillante, Zullo, Retre, O'Neill, Brosque, Carney, Simon, Cisak, Mierzejewski & Ryall & Wilkshire's inside the cap wages. It's an average of around $150k per player (inc the current empty spots).

Like I said in the Victory thread, ACL payments aren't included in the cap as long as they aren't grossly distorted. They might get ~$50k worth of match fees if they get $500 per ACL game in the group stage, and perhaps goals, assists, qualification bonuses & additional match payments outside the cap.

Their squad looks something like this at the moment:

Starting 11: Cisak, Ryall, WIlkinson, Buijs, Wilkshire, O'Neill, Ninkovic, Mierzejewski, Brosque, Carney, Bobo

Subs: Redmayne, Calver, Zullo, Simon, Brillante

Backups: Retre

U21: Lokilngloy, Zuvela

They only really need to sign one more foreign player. Maybe a winger to push Carney or Brosque onto the bench? A midfielder to compete with O'Neill & Brillante? Central defender to replace Wilkinson? Or just leave it until January and try to pickup a good cheap player for half the season with the remainder of your cap.

The rest can be Australian squad depth backup players & the 1 u21 player.

On 08/08/2017 at 9:46 AM, Carns said:

They better start as well as they did last season and begin accumulating points immediately, because they will inevitably drop off a bit once ACL starts. Particularly with the high average age of their squad.

I'm one for keeping stats and the smurfs average age is greater than Aloisi's old boys in Brisbane at 27.2 something years

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Mariners beat Hakoah 1-0 in a trial game. I wonder who was the keeper when Lowy's NPL scored.

Obviously, a warm-up for Hakoah who play Vi$ion City next week and for the Smurfs

13 minutes ago, FCB said:

Excuse my ignorance: what are they talking about? Who has done what?

Gatt put it out on Twitter that Sydney United should be proud that former player Danny Townsend was appointed to be Sydney CEO. 

His response was very frosty to say the least accusing Townsend of disloyalty.

Edited by Paul01
Correction

Han Berger to f.. up the Netherlands

Sydney FC board member and Technical Director Han Berger has been appointed to the highest football position within the Dutch Football Association.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

►Berger has been appointed as the Football Director for the board of the KNVB (Royal Dutch Football Association).

►The job is the top technical position within football in the Netherlands.

►He'll continue his role with the Sky Blues while also fulfilling his role with the Dutch national association.

►Berger, 67, became the youngest head coach in Dutch football history when he was handed the reins at FC Utrecht in 1976 at the age of 25.

►He was also Technical Director of Football Federation Australia for five years prior to being appointed to the Sydney FC board.

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/sydney-fc-technical-direct-han-berger-lands-big-job-in-the-netherlands/lixx0yyussjw1fxwxd4ta1kg8#dqlZcTqv4fymkiF1.99

• 2 weeks later...