Wanderers CEO Threatens RBB

Dear member, 

Welcome to the 2017/18 season which promises to be an exciting one leading with the match later this week against the mighty Arsenal. This off-season we have already renewed 15,000 members which is the highest number we have ever had at this time of the year. We sincerely thank you, our members, for your continued support.

We truly believe that we have the best supporters in the country.

We do write to you however advising a resolution reached by the club that will be adopted moving forward.

As a club we are looking to bring forward a new era in active support. This has come about due to the number of incidents in our short history which have compromised our club, our values and our culture. Most recently the incidents involving the unauthorised banner at the Sydney Derby in February this year, the ignition of flares at the AFC Champions league Match Day 6 and during two of the club’s NPL 2 matches have proven that the current leaders have no control or worse, have no regard for the future of the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club.

These incidents, often illegal and highly dangerous in nature by a small minority alone, have cost the club immeasurably – not just in terms of fines, sanctions and corporate partnerships but as an organisation that looks to stand up for Western Sydney, one that is inclusive for all football fans and proud to represent Western Sydney to a global audience.

Since inception our club has had to pay countless fines from the AFC, FFA and Football NSW for incidents involving Active Support from matches we play in. Moreover, the imposed costs of additional security and policing, along with extensive seating damage at our venues, make the total costs significant and substantial.

This has not only resulted in immediate financial losses to the club, but at a significantly greater cost due to lost revenue from partner and membership opportunities. Together, these factors greatly affect our ability to grow our club in a multitude of other areas.

An immediate outcome of these issues has resulted in our diminished ability to host pre-season matches in Western Sydney due to the increasing security and consulting costs due to this rogue element.

It is quite clear that this cannot continue and such behaviour will not be accepted at our matches.

Notice is hereby given that should any of these incidents happen this season, including use of flares or other incendiary devices, violence, pitch invasion, discriminatory behaviour or acts that constitute a failure to live up to the terms of admission into the venue, then the club reserves the right to close down the active support area for an indefinite period as outlined by the club which will lead to the redeployment of non-offending Members to other available seating in the Stadiums during this closure.

To assist in the prevention of any such closure we are seeking those who feel passionately about the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club and wish to lead this active support change to come forward and take part in the evolution of active support at Weste

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Club & Active support. Mood already iffy, this will surely murky the waters

dear member, 

Welcome to the 2017/18 season which promises to be an exciting one leading with the match later this week against the mighty Arsenal. This off-season we have already renewed 15,000 members which is the highest number we have ever had at this time of the year. We sincerely thank you, our members, for your continued support.

We truly believe that we have the best supporters in the country.

We do write to you however advising a resolution reached by the club that will be adopted moving forward.

As a club we are looking to bring forward a new era in active support. This has come about due to the number of incidents in our short history which have compromised our club, our values and our culture. Most recently the incidents involving the unauthorised banner at the Sydney Derby in February this year, the ignition of flares at the AFC Champions league Match Day 6 and during two of the club’s NPL 2 matches have proven that the current leaders have no control or worse, have no regard for the future of the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club.

These incidents, often illegal and highly dangerous in nature by a small minority alone, have cost the club immeasurably – not just in terms of fines, sanctions and corporate partnerships but as an organisation that looks to stand up for Western Sydney, one that is inclusive for all football fans and proud to represent Western Sydney to a global audience.

Since inception our club has had to pay countless fines from the AFC, FFA and Football NSW for incidents involving Active Support from matches we play in. Moreover, the imposed costs of additional security and policing, along with extensive seating damage at our venues, make the total costs significant and substantial.

This has not only resulted in immediate financial losses to the club, but at a significantly greater cost due to lost revenue from partner and membership opportunities. Together, these factors greatly affect our ability to grow our club in a multitude of other areas.

An immediate outcome of these issues has resulted in our diminished ability to host pre-season matches in Western Sydney due to the increasing security and consulting costs due to this rogue element.

It is quite clear that this cannot continue and such behaviour will not be accepted at our matches.

Notice is hereby given that should any of these incidents happen this season, including use of flares or other incendiary devices, violence, pitch invasion, discriminatory behaviour or acts that constitute a failure to live up to the terms of admission into the venue, then the club reserves the right to close down the active support area for an indefinite period as outlined by the club which will lead to the redeployment of non-offending Members to other available seating in the Stadiums during this closure.

To assist in the prevention of any such closure we are seeking those who feel passionately about the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club and wish to lead this active support change to come forward and take part in the evolution of active support at Western Sydney Wanderers matches.

We will be holding a Members Forum on 25 July at Club Marconi and look forward to hearing from those who are interested and would like to take a role in the leadership of the active support area and identify ways the club can work with active support to create a more unified and better experience for all and assist with pain points for our members.

Those who:

• Do not wish to be part of the new phase of the active support at WSW; or
  • Have purchased memberships already for this coming season and who do not wish to take the risk of being redeployed to another part of our stadiums during the course of the season should the active support area be closed down

will have the opportunity to cancel their membership for the 2017/18 season prior to the first match and receive a full refund.

With a safe standing section lobbied for by the club and included in the design for Western Sydney Stadium we want to see active support and our match day atmosphere taken to the next level.

To make that happen we need a leadership within the group willing to work with, not against the club.

The reality is that further major incidents that affect the image and reputation of our club may result in the indefinite closure of active support.

We look forward to discussing the future of active support and other club matters with you and hope that your passion for the Wanderers will see us take great steps forward, together.

To register your attendance 
for our 2017 Members Forum please click here.

John Tsatsimas, CEO
Western Sydney Wanderers FC

I think they want to work with the RBB, but those in the RBB leadership need to acknowledge there are still quite a lot of issues. There needs to be new leadership in the RBB to take it in a fresh direction. 

I agree with the letter from JT. It's probably overdue.

4 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

looks like the club trying to cut out the rbb and replace with club appointed and approved 'leaders'

its the MV template that effectively ended the NT.

Yep, agreed. Current RBB leaders being shown the door and to be replaced with club approved ones that introduce this 'new phase'.......Trying to make the RBB part of WSW / club controlled rather than a separate independent supporter group......

This may not end well......

Edited by WSWBoro

I would like to see more co-operation between the RBB and the club. Does it happen now? Why not, what's the issue? Aren't we a proper active support if we co-operate, do we always need to take a militant stance. This goes both ways mind you but the club looks like they want to have a conversation at least. 

Just now, Jukes01 said:

I would like to see more co-operation between the RBB and the club. Does it happen now? Why not, what's the issue? Aren't we a proper active support if we co-operate, do we always need to take a militant stance. This goes both ways mind you but the club looks like they want to have a conversation at least. 

Don't disagree, more co-operation is good, just not sure co-operation is what is totally on offer here....but I shall try and keep an open mind.

9 minutes ago, essdub said:

I think they want to work with the RBB, but those in the RBB leadership need to acknowledge there are still quite a lot of issues. There needs to be new leadership in the RBB to take it in a fresh direction. 

I agree with the letter from JT. It's probably overdue.

I agree with it to. It was well worded and made its point. It certainly didn't shy away from the issue. As much as the club is a football family it is, at the end of the day, a business also. They need to look after the interests of the business too.

If does often feel that the leaders of the RBB are not actually representative of the group as a whole (that's from the outside looking in, of course). Active support brings a lot to the game and a lot to the Wanderers. But, these transgressions are only killing things for themselves.

4 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

yep that is exactly how I interpreted the email. it is bollocks.

the rbb is an independent group - not for others to dictate who the leaders are or are not.

forum on the 25th will be popcorn worthy.

This is the kind of attitude they are trying to remove. 

1 minute ago, Gazmon said:

I agree with it to. It was well worded and made its point. It certainly didn't shy away from the issue. As much as the club is a football family it is, at the end of the day, a business also. They need to look after the interests of the business too.

If does often feel that the leaders of the RBB are not actually representative of the group as a whole (that's from the outside looking in, of course). Active support brings a lot to the game and a lot to the Wanderers. But, these transgressions are only killing things for themselves.

We shall see..........

I can see the positives, but well, .....lets see how this plays out... the forum on the 25th will be very interesting as Lloydy says....

2 minutes ago, Gazmon said:

Couldn't agree more. The RBB does more to harm itself than any other body within WSW or FFA. The ignorance amongst the RBB to that fact is beyond me. 

So once again the actions of one or two are going to dictate what happens to the rest - that's like saying if one player gets sent off the whole team should get sent off. Incidents will still happen whoever the leadership is - its football. I think I'll get a refund on my membership and re join when Parramatta is built

10 minutes ago, Andy70 said:

So once again the actions of one or two are going to dictate what happens to the rest - that's like saying if one player gets sent off the whole team should get sent off. Incidents will still happen whoever the leadership is - its football. I think I'll get a refund on my membership and re join when Parramatta is built

however, a player getting sent off does affect the rest of the team, who did not transgress, often costing the game.  In the same way, if incidents happen in active, it will affect the whole