Football Media Discussion 2

On 14/11/2017 at 8:48 PM, Ossified said:

What this and most AFL twats don't understand is that football players don't "kick goals" They tap in, nod in, flick in, back heel in, curve it around the wall in and many more etc etc. I'm In furiated. 

This... My Mrs shouts "kick it" to my son.

NO don't f'ing kick it. Pass it, shoot or skin him! 

Drives my mad

1 hour ago, eggs said:

This... My Mrs shouts "kick it" to my son.

NO don't f'ing kick it. Pass it, shoot or skin him! 

Drives my mad

Better than “kick him” which my dad used to yell at me 

I was 27 years old 

15 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Kids under 16 go free with a paying adult at every Aleague game. I have no idea why no one will implement this... Start capturing the support of the next generation

100% :good:

Or any kid up to that age who plays junior football to recieve 1 free family pass to ANY HAL game.

3 minutes ago, Jukes75 said:

In what way @Paul01?

As we've seen over and over again, which is unfortunate, the SCG Trust wields a mystical power over the political parties in NSW and pretty much gets what they want.

Whereas the FFA board are the group outside your building holding out a cap, begging for money

I was thinking the FFA board bosses most of the state federations like the SCG Trust bosses everyone else.

21 minutes ago, Flytox said:

A third of them are in Sydney.  Do you think 2 clubs is enough in a city that is pretty tribal?

I think it is inevitable that Sydney will have three or four teams, not sure on the timeline for that though. I feel a 16 team competition is most viable in the long term, but don't necessarily think 3rd and 4th Sydney teams should happen straight away. I feel SW Sydney is a logical place for a team, but not for 5-10 years (huge growth happening in the area).

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/penrith-press/sport/swr-triple-9-fm-to-broadcast-soccer-basketball-and-baseball-for-fans-in-sydneys-west/news-story/c917976fd38b06230643003dcad93b93

New radio station that will be broadcasting and streaming WSW games SWR Triple 9 FM. 99.9FM.

Also all every single Aleague match for the rest of the season will be broadcast on the ABC NewsRadio network, 630 kHz AM in Sydney.

Edited by FCWanderers
On 17/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, Flytox said:

A third of them are in Sydney.  Do you think 2 clubs is enough in a city that is pretty tribal?

Yeah two is enough. We already know that participants don't equal supporters - there's little correlation. 

Looking at the numbers that matter (attendance), Sydney has the right amount of teams. 

27 minutes ago, matty said:

Yeah two is enough. We already know that participants don't equal supporters - there's little correlation. 

Looking at the numbers that matter (attendance), Sydney has the right amount of teams. 

Tbf the same argument held when ESFC was the only team in town: "Why do we need a second team? Sydney FC only gets 10k to matches, there's not that much more demand out there"

4 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Tbf the same argument held when ESFC was the only team in town: "Why do we need a second team? Sydney FC only gets 10k to matches, there's not that much more demand out there"

Good point, still, it won't work, not now. 

I think the shitness of esfc is the only reason it could actually work. There would be plenty of football fans in the regions that this Southern Expansion bid is targeting that would like to have a team to follow during the summer, but for obvious reasons don't find sydney fc and their empty ground very appealing. I think the bid has many flaws, but there probably are enough people to embrace it if they do it right, which is why sydney fc are up in arms about. 

4 hours ago, mack said:

If we want a league beyond the absolute minimum of about 16 teams we'll have to end up with more than 2 teams in Sydney. If you want a two tier competition you pretty much require upwards of maybe even 6 teams in SYdney.

To add 6 teams, i think an extra team in Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra/Wollongong. I believe that the Nix license will be taken back and handed to another Australian franchise which could be Tasmania.

The second division is a difderent story.

Didn't see that this article was posted anywhere and thought I'd put here for everyone to read. I thought it was a decent article about Sam Kerr:

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/matildas-star-samantha-kerrs-advice-to-young-girls-playing-soccer-20171113-gzknrq.html

There are some good sections in there where she talks about AFL and Football. I'll post the entire article if need be

Just checked out the SMH website and it shows where our game is positioned media wise.

In the Sports section there is no mention of the furore around the VAR yesterday. It contributed to 3 massive talking points. Yet there is a story on the Tonga Rugby semi. Imagine the stink and the number of stories, comment and general discussion of this sort of incident happened in the AFL, League or cricket. Everyone would be talking about it?

As for Sam Kerr the story Jukes refers to above was in the Good Weekend magazine and she was the cover photo too. Love the bit where she compares Aussie Rules to football and explains why football requires more skill.  Of all people in Oz she would have a good insight into this, having played both and her brother being an ex-AFL pro

Are we surprised though?

The product isn’t good enough so we are relying on the controversies to get us space?

The A-League has got off to a horrible start, interest has hit rock bottom, attendances have flattered to deceive and tv ratings have been less than impressive. Controversies surrounding VAR have only made this more difficult.

The space we get is reflective of where our game is right now.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Are we surprised though?

The product isn’t good enough so we are relying on the controversies to get us space?

The A-League has got off to a horrible start, interest has hit rock bottom, attendances have flattered to deceive and tv ratings have been less than impressive. Controversies surrounding VAR have only made this more difficult.

The space we get is reflective of where our game is right now.

Ratings are down 15% on last season but up 15% on the season before.  Interestingly the ratings for this round are up on last season.  Last season we had the Cahill effect and both this season and two seasons ago we had bad publicity leading in to the season.  It will be interesting to see how the ratings go from here on in.  Typically we start off with good ratings that drop off by about round 8.  From there ratings per round see saw from week to week depending on the fixture list and opposing sports broadcasts and then drop again once the winter codes start.

Another issue for ratings (and crowds, and general interest in the league) this year is that the top 6 is comprised of 5 of the 6 least supported teams.

WSW, Victory & Roar are bottom 4 right now. SFC look likely to run away with the league again (thanks to the FFA & VAR). If those 3 teams keep dropping points and are out of the 6 the metro ratings will crater and so will the overall crowd average. We've also seen that SFC don't look likely to gain much of a boost to crowds despite being champions (and having won FFA Cup this year).

On 19/11/2017 at 11:01 PM, luisenrique said:

I think the shitness of esfc is the only reason it could actually work. There would be plenty of football fans in the regions that this Southern Expansion bid is targeting that would like to have a team to follow during the summer, but for obvious reasons don't find sydney fc and their empty ground very appealing. I think the bid has many flaws, but there probably are enough people to embrace it if they do it right, which is why sydney fc are up in arms about. 

To be fair to Smurf’s they aren’t the only team with a largely empty ground. We are likely to have about 70000 empty seats this coming week.

Man I miss the old parra stadium

I used to try and convert euro snob friends and other sports followers whenever I had a spare ticket. 

Check out the atmosphere at parra stadium, it’s awesome. I don’t bother now, check out spotless there is a football game somewhere over in the distance, it’s dreadul 

• mack locked this topic