Football Media Discussion 2

25 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

To be fair to Smurf’s they aren’t the only team with a largely empty ground. We are likely to have about 70000 empty seats this coming week.

Man I miss the old parra stadium

I used to try and convert euro snob friends and other sports followers whenever I had a spare ticket. 

Check out the atmosphere at parra stadium, it’s awesome. I don’t bother now, check out spotless there is a football game somewhere over in the distance, it’s dreadul 

You're not alone in feeling like that........:sorry:

I'm usually a keep your chin up, keep being optimistic, keep supporting football fan, but after the debacle that was last night, I am not so pumped about going to our games anymore. Going back to Parra seems so far off.

Edited by sonar
4 hours ago, mack said:

We've also seen that SFC don't look likely to gain much of a boost to crowds despite being champions (and having won FFA Cup this year).

I've been surprised at how poor their crowds have been this season.

Is Arnie-ball (additionally) contributing to their poor crowds?

An "update" of sorts from Brasil...

Ponte Preta has been relegated from the Brazilian football championship after one of its players was sent off for putting his finger where in an opponents backside.

The struggling side needed victory to stave off relegation but blew a 2-0 lead after a moment of madness from defender Rodrigo.

The centre-back took the game into his own hands, quite literally, when he put his fingers in buttocks of Vitoria's Colombian striker Santiago Trellez.

Rodrigo was duly sent off after the brain snap and single handedly cost his side their place in the Brazilian Serie A  with Vitoria going on to score three second half goals.

Referee Ricardo Marques Ribeiro said in his match report: "I sent off ... Rodrigo ... after I was informed by the fourth official that the athlete had introduced his middle finger twice between the buttocks of his adversary number 22, Santiago Trellez."

With eight minutes remaining in the match and their side on the brink of relegation trailing 3-2, Ponte Preta's fans frustrations boiled over as they turned on their players and invaded the pitch. 

The game was immediately abandoned with Vitoria deemed the winners and Ponte Preta relegated from the top flight of Brazilian football.   

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/28/brazilian-player-sent-sticking-his-finger-opponents-backside

1 hour ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Ponte Preta has been relegated from the Brazilian football championship after one of its players was sent off for putting his finger where in an opponents backside.

The struggling side needed victory to stave off relegation but blew a 2-0 lead after a moment of madness from defender Rodrigo.

The centre-back took the game into his own hands, quite literally, when he put his fingers in buttocks of Vitoria's Colombian striker Santiago Trellez.

Rodrigo was duly sent off after the brain snap and single handedly cost his side their place in the Brazilian Serie A  with Vitoria going on to score three second half goals.

Referee Ricardo Marques Ribeiro said in his match report: "I sent off ... Rodrigo ... after I was informed by the fourth official that the athlete had introduced his middle finger twice between the buttocks of his adversary number 22, Santiago Trellez."

With eight minutes remaining in the match and their side on the brink of relegation trailing 3-2, Ponte Preta's fans frustrations boiled over as they turned on their players and invaded the pitch. 

The game was immediately abandoned with Vitoria deemed the winners and Ponte Preta relegated from the top flight of Brazilian football.   

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/28/brazilian-player-sent-sticking-his-finger-opponents-backside

The best of digital TV.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, SomeGuy1977 said:

I didn't know John Hopoate had taken up a football career.

On 03/12/2017 at 12:22 PM, ColdRock said:

"It's only 4 nil,

it's only 4 nil,

it's only 4 niiiiil!!!,

how **** must you be!!!!!,

it's only.......

I used to enjoy singing 

“Southend Southend, we’re **** but we are beating you” back in the late 90s

4 minutes ago, mack said:

Lowy has enough money he could have done it Day 1 he took over from the FFA. He's repeatedly said he didn't want to do what they did in the MLS because he wanted it to be "sustainable". What he really meant was he wanted other owners to pay for it.

I know it's easy to want to spend other people's money but if he put aside a third...say $10Bn @ 3.5% interest pa that is a return of $350M p.a, he could fund the league properly and he still has his $10Bn. Unfortunately he doesn't think like that.

@sonar, where did you get that $10bn figure from?

The Lowy's don't own all the shares in the Westfield Corporation being sold. They own 8.2% from what is being reported.

From an AFR article on the sale:

"The mega-deal, first revealed by Street Talk, values the Lowy family's stake in Westfield at $1.976 billion. Based on the structure of the deal, the family would receive about $692 million in cash and $1.284 in Unibail-Rodamco securities."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/commercial/outside-investments-key-to-lowy-familys-future-fortune-20171212-h038rx#ixzz516iXXWok 

25 minutes ago, Jukes75 said:

@sonar, where did you get that $10bn figure from?

The Lowy's don't own all the shares in the Westfield Corporation being sold. They own 8.2% from what is being reported.

From an AFR article on the sale:

"The mega-deal, first revealed by Street Talk, values the Lowy family's stake in Westfield at $1.976 billion. Based on the structure of the deal, the family would receive about $692 million in cash and $1.284 in Unibail-Rodamco securities."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/commercial/outside-investments-key-to-lowy-familys-future-fortune-20171212-h038rx#ixzz516iXXWok 

My bad, It was just a hypothetical though. lol It was never going to happen.....lol

2 minutes ago, tardotz said:

Lol 😁 Mack gets a mention in the A-league hour.

Pity they didn't show the picture of the penalty encroachment.... Stebre wouldn't have had a way out.

That was pretty funny

Surely after Strebre saying the Var is only to fix howlers they could have asked about the 2nd mariners red card. Giving it a yellow was definitely not a “howler”

14 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

That was pretty funny

Surely after Strebre saying the Var is only to fix howlers they could have asked about the 2nd mariners red card. Giving it a yellow was definitely not a “howler”

There were two howlers in our game imo.

brama and McGing should have been issued straight red cards for studs-up tackles above the ankle, one to the back of Bonevacia’s leg and the other a studs-up slide tackle on Baccus Snr.

Whilst Evans got the Bobo rake wrong in the Friday night game, he was correct in recommending that both were red to the inexperienced referee Alex King initially awarded as yellow. Alex King looked a little stunned that he missed these as all Referees review and rank fouls during a season. 

I would like to have a fly on the wall when the Referees had their review by teleconference. O’Rourke would have stuck it Ben Wilson and this would have been passed on to A-League Referees. Don’t think Lucas will be in the centre for a while.

We sing more !

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/archie-melbourne-derby-isnt-what-it-used-to-be-480195

Melbourne Victory legend Archie Thompson says the Melbourne Derby just isn’t what it used to be.

The former Big V striker played in 15 Derbies until he hung up the boots in 2016 and has conceded the Sydney Derby has now upstaged the Victory-City clash.

Thompson was part of many iconic moments for Victory including three championships and he said the buzz at games was different to when he played.

“I’m going off what I’ve seen over the last few games with the atmosphere, I don’t think it compares to the early days,” Thompson told FourFourTwo.

“The Sydney Derbies are good, I did say that being at one of them, it felt like it eclipsed because of the amount of singing with the Western Sydney Wanderers fans. In saying that, Victory are the ones who set the benchmark.

“They definitely sing more in Sydney, that being said when the Northern Terrace was buzzing, we all sang together.

"The South End sang to the North Terrace and it was bloody electric. We just don’t have that now.”

Thompson said he enjoyed the atmosphere when Victory entertained rivals Adelaide United at home in Round 10 when 16,778 people turned up to Etihad Stadium – the club’s lowest home attendance of the season.

He said the atmosphere reminded him of the A-League when it was just fresh.

The 2017 Christmas Derby is set to be played on Saturday night at AAMI Park as a third-placed City locks horns with Victory who sit fifth.

The 39-year-old urged the fans to pack out the Derby on Saturday.

“Maybe sometimes the players take it for granted,” he said. “I think that’s what’s missing and hopefully they bring the heat on Saturday. I don’t think the supporters realise how much of a lift they give the teams.

“I’m just not feeling it, it’s sad because they really built something great and unfortunately it came down to the politics of everything.

“You have to look at the safety and the idiots who ruin it for everyone, it was always a minority issue. It’s sad because they’ve taken a bit of the essence of what Victory are when it comes to any match.

“Sometimes what’s on the pitch isn’t going to live up to the hype. The atmosphere is a substitute for that.”

Thompson believed the issues in the past two years with the FFA’s governance, the ceased coordinated support in the active area and repetitiveness with fixtures were all linked with the lack of buzz.

“I thought the atmosphere was great before there was all this turmoil between the terraces, the club and the federation,” Thompson said.

“It just stems from everything, you’ve got the issues with the federation and all the energy and focus is being used on one thing.

“There was a lot of talk now about how maybe expansion should’ve happened earlier, because it felt like there was a bit of complacency. 

“Then you see the league start to stagnate, you have to keep evolving and still look at things to try and pump it up. We let it get a bit stale.”

Thompson also believed the quality of players were better back when the A-League was established.

He also said the game had evolved to the point where the salary cap has become obsolete.

“Money is the biggest issue, Bozza (Mark Bosnich) always brings it up and it’s a good point – why don’t we scrap the salary cap? It doesn’t seem to work,” Thompson said.

“Look at the gap between the top and the bottom, it’s huge and it doesn’t work now.

“We talk about structures and playing a better style of football, in the early days it wasn’t, but the quality of players are just not what it used to be. 

“We all still want this game to grow.  It’s still massive at grassroots level, we just need to capitalise on it.”

2 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

“The Sydney Derbies are good, I did say that being at one of them, it felt like it eclipsed because of the amount of singing with the Western Sydney Wanderers fans. In saying that, Victory are the ones who set the benchmark.

They haven't been the benchmark since WSW joined the competition.

4 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

We sing more !

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/archie-melbourne-derby-isnt-what-it-used-to-be-480195

Melbourne Victory legend Archie Thompson says the Melbourne Derby just isn’t what it used to be.

“They definitely sing more in Sydney, that being said when the Northern Terrace was buzzing, we all sang together.

"The South End sang to the North Terrace and it was bloody electric. We just don’t have that now.”

This is so true!

I've got to experience that twice, not in derbies...well their around the ground call from stand to stand - and it was hard to beat as a spectacle!

I loved it!  Perhaps it was only to be matched for excitement by our early WDYSFs.

From 2010...gives me chills!  Even with a really small crowd!

“I’m just not feeling it, it’s sad because they really built something great and unfortunately it came down to the politics of everything.

“You have to look at the safety and the idiots who ruin it for everyone, it was always a minority issue. It’s sad because they’ve taken a bit of the essence of what Victory are when it comes to any match.

“Sometimes what’s on the pitch isn’t going to live up to the hype. The atmosphere is a substitute for that.”

I really feel for him, and all of the  Victory supporters who feel as he does. It would be crushing to have had what they had, and lost it.

However, there seemed a bit of coordinated singing in the last game I watched.

SURELY, a large part of their problem started with having their derbies at Etihad rather than the stunning AAMI??

I've never attended a game at Etihad, but I imagine it to be only marginally better than ANZ, and potentially an atmosphere dampener?

And then with the troubles in the North Terrace, and their disbanding.......

• mack locked this topic