Football Media Discussion 2

The main difference between us and Victory is that the RBB has kept soldiering on while the NT had enough and packed up. Apart from that the two supporters have had similar experiences, including break away groups, overzealous policing, mainstream media rubbish etc.

I hate to say this, but all the “non-active” people who whinged about the NT and the RBB behaviour and said “can’t we just have the atmosphere without the flares and other issues” have got their answer.

Now everyone’s complaining about the smaller crowds and lack of atmosphere and I wonder if they all realise that they are reaping what they sowed.

13 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

The main difference between us and Victory is that the RBB has kept soldiering on while the NT had enough and packed up. Apart from that the two supporters have had similar experiences, including break away groups, overzealous policing, mainstream media rubbish etc.

I hate to say this, but all the “non-active” people who whinged about the NT and the RBB behaviour and said “can’t we just have the atmosphere without the flares and other issues” have got their answer.

Now everyone’s complaining about the smaller crowds and lack of atmosphere and I wonder if they all realise that they are reaping what they sowed.

They soldiered on for what...12 years? So double the length of time we have existed.

Hopefully the RBB will have ridden out the ups and downs in another 6 years...and well....for ever.

Re "I hate to say this, but all the “non-active” people who whinged about the NT and the RBB behaviour and said “can’t we just have the atmosphere without the flares and other issues” have got their answer."

The battle lines are obviously still there - because others will dream about what might still have been with us now without the flares from the start.

Anyhow...what's done is done, and like some others, I hope that everything about WSW support is reinvigorated when we get into a new stadium.

Not sure that it will be much different to now until that happens, though. :(

Although better results for our team might help.

:):)

Not knocking the NT, I didn’t experience what they did so if they felt the need to bail then so be it. I too hope the RBB are going strong in 6 more, but let’s be frank - our atmosphere is not as good as it was and the move is only one reason.

As for what it may have been without the flares etc (by etc I just mean the edgey feeling overall that used to be in the RBB), I can tell you it would have been ****. We’d have been just like the other half-arsed teams. Certainly of my group of mates a few wouldn’t be here now - the RBB brought what we’d been waitin for.

3 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I too hope the RBB are going strong in 6 more, but let’s be frank - our atmosphere is not as good as it was and the move is only one reason.

Sadly, there is no comparison. 

As for what it may have been without the flares etc (by etc I just mean the edgey feeling overall that used to be in the RBB), I can tell you it would have been ****.

I've heard that before - and I can understand that without the edgy feeling it would have been ****. But I don't understand how SO MUCH of that revolved around flares. To me, it's unfathomable. It was so small a component when everything else was put into the mix....well from the outside it was small....but the consequences of their use were so monumental. 

We’d have been just like the other half-arsed teams. Certainly of my group of mates a few wouldn’t be here now - the RBB brought what we’d been waitin for.

Not sure what you mean there - by "be here now".

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Sadly, there is no comparison. 

I've heard that before - and I can understand that without the edgy feeling it would have been ****. But I don't understand how SO MUCH of that revolved around flares. To me, it's unfathomable. It was so small a component when everything else was put into the mix....well from the outside it was small....but the consequences of their use were so monumental. 

Not sure what you mean there - by "be here now".

I can guess re be here now. Without the atmosphere created by the RBB they wouldn't have started attending WSW matches.  But as they did they are still going 

3 hours ago, mack said:

NT got targeted worse than RBB did by the cops, club & FFA, and had more supporters pay into the Herald Sun propaganda.

Wonder why?

Don't get me wrong - I've loved the noise they make, but I twice personally encountered scary Victory supporters. Some out for trouble for sure.

But I totally appreciate what the NT achieved, I missed hearing them last season, and I hope they'll be back.

37 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Sorry my english is poor so, I've lived here in Sydney for nine years migrating from Porto Alegre and still celebrating our libertadores final victory :shout:  "dale dale tricolor dale dale tricolooooorrrrrrrr!!!!"

Don't worry about your English being poor amico, , there's only wogs n Westies in here anyway!   :P 

23 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Thanks amico, and yeah  I am a wog through descent though my father is of Italian heritage and mother is are brown skin brazilian of Portuguese Lebanese descent :xnod: 👍

Wow , great mix! What part of Italy? My parents were Italian , Veneto father , Abruzzo mother

16 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

My fathers mother is from Sicilia and father from Calabria and Napoli it's a pretty good mix. A lot of Brazilians are of Italian descent especially in cities like São Paulo and Porto Alegre,  Grêmio were founded by Italians and Germans so my father supported Grêmio but every Grêmio fan definatly  hates internacional I have big family in Brazil but also love western Sydney Wanderers I will always support Wanderers whether we win or lose but problem in Brazil is there a lot of trouble especially traveling on bus to cities like São Paulo, rio where other firms are waiting to ambush you but that's how we do it in Brazil :xbop:

Yes we're lucky in this country that football is safe! 

Lol it's amazing the difference from Bozza & Slater talking about WSW and CCM in this A-League hour show.

WSW & Gombau are getting crucified, Bozza saying that Gombau will get sacked, meanwhile CCM are "playing okay" and "creating chances" even though they have lost 3 games in a row, haven't scored, without Izzo having a blinder they would've lost 5-0 against Adelaide and one of those losses was against Gombau's Wanderers. :rofl: and Wellington, it's a positive they are "fighting for the fans" having only won a single game.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Lol it's amazing the difference from Bozza & Slater talking about WSW and CCM in this A-League hour show.

WSW & Gombau are getting crucified, Bozza saying that Gombau will get sacked, meanwhile CCM are "playing okay" and "creating chances" even though they have lost 3 games in a row, haven't scored, without Izzo having a blinder they would've lost 5-0 against Adelaide and one of those losses was against Gombau's Wanderers. :rofl: and Wellington, it's a positive they are "fighting for the fans" having only won a single game.

We aren’t the Central Coast the level of expection is completely different (as is the wage bill)

They are still wrong to the say the coasties are playing well they aren’t

But and I can’t belive I’m agreeing with the Ginger Kopite, but they were pretty spot on about us. 

Our play against the jets was idiotic asking a back 4 that includes Thwaite aspro and Hammil to play out. It not working so carrying on and on and on with it 

Bozza said he was gombau in and thought if given time he’ll come good, but he won’t get given time if we keep getting snotted 4 and 5 nil. He may be right on the first bit (hope so) but he’s definitely right on the second bit, if we continue to get snotted in the way we are he’ll be gone and so he should (see point 1 we aren’t the Mariners) 

Edited by StringerBellend
20 hours ago, mack said:

Izzo plays for Adelaide.

19 hours ago, bombagol said:

Not sure if this has been posted already.

Michael Lynch of the SMH is talking some common sense, especially in his last half a dozen paragraphs:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-to-make-attending-aleague-games-special-again-20171229-h0bb4n.html

You could piece that article together with various posts from here.

One thing I disagreed with though:

The move over the past few years to sanitise the match-day experience has not worked. 

I think it's worked very effectively. 

By Philip Micallef 

Australian football is running the risk of destroying itself once and for all if each member of its family fails to accept that we have a huge crisis on our hands and start a salvage operation to save what's left of our game.

There are no two ways about it. Our game has become a basket case and we are doing bugger all to fix it.

And as the custodians of the sport Football Federation Australia must take most of the blame for the precarious state of our game that looked so promising four or five years ago.

If the game succumbs to the multiple fiascos that have distanced it from the people who matter most - the fans - there will be no one else to blame but FFA who have shown that they are incapable of running Australian sport's sleeping giant.

The football family at large has no confidence left in the game's governing body.

Too many non-football people are making decisions that show their lack of knowledge.......... 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.a...

An article from Sebastian Hassett about the recycling and merry go round of A-league players. Vidosic with his 5th A-league club. Then there are other guys like Nichols, Reddy, Burns etc. It does detract a bit from the league as it is just a bunch of players switching clubs once something doesn't go right for them at whatever place they happen to stumble into.

Don't know what can be done about it though.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2017/12/30/why-leagues-transfer-carousel-cant-go

Just adding transfer fees alone won't really solve anything because the value of a player is derived from their form (or potential for younger players), their contract value, the length of their contract and supply/demand for the type of player they are.

Adding an open transfer market won't necessarily push the clubs to start handing out 3+ year contracts, because the underlying reason they don't give long contracts is still far more important to clubs who literally lose millions of dollars a year. That reason is A-League players are not highly valuable in the first place.

"First 11" quality players are also generally unwilling to accept long deals because it reduces their potential for pay increases or extending their careers, which often comes by moving clubs on free transfers.

At least half the league is made up of players on minimum wage contracts who are either youth prospects who haven't proved their ability or attitude to perform in the A-League or experienced players who flirt around from club to club filling gaps because the managers all know what they will get from them.

Using Vidosic as an example. Say the Nix gave Vidiosic a 3 year $200k contract. And 6 months in his father has a blow up with the coach and gets fired, and then Dario wants to leave because they treated his father poorly.

What's he done recently in terms of form? Nothing.

Are there alternatives in the market? Sure. If you have a foreign spot left you have the entire world to look at.

If you're looking mostly toward next season's squad you can find free agents that will cost nothing to sign.

He is such a good player your team can't function unless you get him? No.

Even if he is a good player, is City willing to look toward next season thereby being able to find new players in the free agent market? If the cost is too much, then yes of course.

Is Wellington on the hook for the remaining $500,000 of his contact if they don't let him go? Yes.

So tell me what Dario Vidosic's value is in an open market?

Nil.

Wellington also arguably gain a benefit from his release. They have "earned" back $500,000 over their future expenditure by letting him go for free.

This is the main issue I have with that article, and the ongoing commentary from Bosnich around this issue of "oh this player isn't happy at his club there should be transfer fees so he can join a new club with his old club getting something in return". In these particular situations (ie, unhappy player), there is no value. Dave Carney was effectively unusable by Newcastle when Sydney FC wanted to sign him, so he was released to join Sydney FC. Newcastle wouldn't have got a transfer fee from SFC because he wasn't worth anything any longer.

• mack locked this topic