Sign in to follow this  
Prydzopolis

2017/18 EPL & F.A Cup thread

New season, new topic required! The home for discussion of the 2017 and 2018 season!

Community Shield Tonight

Season starts next week

EPL can be streamed on Optus (must have an Optus product) for $15 a month

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

On 17/07/2017 at 11:11 AM, pseudonym said:

First set of SBS matches for Premier League (SBS ONE)

Saturday 12 August

Watford vs Liverpool

Kickoff 9:30pm

Saturday 19 August

Swansea vs Man. United

Kickoff 9:30pm

Saturday 27 August

Chelsea vs Everton

Kickoff: 12am (Sunday)

Saturday 9 September

Man. City vs Liverpool

Kickoff: 9:30pm

Saturday 16 September

Liverpool vs Burnley

Kickoff: 12am (Sunday)

Saturday 23 September :woah:

West Ham vs Tottenham 

Saturday 30 September

Huddersfield vs Tottenham

Forgot they have the Friday/Saturday game with arshital beating the foxes 4-3 this morning, looking forward to tonight's games.

Top four predictions this season

1- Manure

2-Liverpool

3-arshital

4-Chelsea

Davo   

I think it'll be between United and City for the title. I think it'll be close and whoever goes out of the Champions League first will probably win the prem.

United have replaced Zlatan with Lukaku, who is proven in the prem and should score as many goals as Zlatan while requiring less compromises to fit with the rest of the team (plus it sounds like Zlatan could be coming back in January anyway). Matic is a good signing as United haven't got a proper destroyer in the midfield, which will also free up Pogba and Herrera to play roles more suited to them. Only real question mark is left fullback.

City have improved in a few of the areas they were weak. They didn't have the wingbacks for Pep's system so he bought all of them. He also swapped Hart, who couldn't use his feet, for Bravo, who couldn't use his hands. Now he has a new keeper who can apparently do both (although the way he came out of his box and conceded against Lukaku in preseason was a worry). They're still light on at CB if they're playing 3 and relying on Kompany to stay fit for a full season.

Chelsea have taken a risk on Morata being as effective as Costa plus Conte seems like the angriest man in world football right now and they have European football to contend with. Bakayoko coming in for Matic could be a good move if he works out but again it's a risk as Matic has proven he can do it in the league.

Spurs haven't signed anyone, lost Walker and are relying on Trippier as his replacement, who's now injured. Plus they're moving to Wembly, which as WSW fans we can relate, it won't make things any easier.

Fox are reporting that Coutinho has put in a transfer request and wants to go to Barca. If he goes that added with them having to deal with Champions League football and not really fixing their depth issues could see them out of the top four all together.

Arsenal look like they've picked up a couple of decent players although a lot depends on whether they keep Sanchez, but even if he stays I can't see them challenging for the title. Also as United found last season, backing up from Thursday night games in the Europa League is tough.

Everton have signed some great players although they haven't replaced Lukaku. As Liverpool found when they sold Suarez, replacing one top class player with several good players doesn't always improve the starting XI. I don't think they'll make the top 4 but they should be the best of the rest again.

Jose's mindgames fool himself more than others these days. He's lost it.

It's between Chelsea and City.

Arsenal will do better than previous years.

Man U might sneak into the 4 if Tottenham fall away.

Liverpool I think will fall as well.

All this is based on basically taking no notice of player movements haha

Lmao Liverpool 

oh well at least we didn't have listen to their fans saying they are gunna win the league for one week 

mooy on all accounts played great, nice to see 

Carns   
50 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

"Remember the name Wayne Rooney..."

Didn't see the second half as I was too tired. Thought the team were a bit scrappy in the first half (besides the goal). Did they improve in the second?

First home game, 3 points and a clean sheet. Can't ask for much more.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

Didn't see the second half as I was too tired. Thought the team were a bit scrappy in the first half (besides the goal). Did they improve in the second?

First home game, 3 points and a clean sheet. Can't ask for much more.

I'll admit I don't know either I must have fell asleep around be 55min. I make a terrible eurosnob I fall asleep after midnight.

By all reports we were a bit better going to 4 at the back

Ill try and watch it tonight 

5 minutes into Newcastle- Tottenham and Newcastle have played at least 5 long balls, Spurs have played at least 3, as well as 2 mini-long balls over the top. Spurs have gone up the park on the ground once.

The Newcastle striker has hit a shot way over the bar and a ball out to his winger was way over hit and went out for a goal kick. 

I'm sure it'll settle but this is no better than the A-league.

Sime11   

First game of the season and Newcastle already have a player sent, Shelvey has no discipline- absolute tosser

Ridiculous. Playing a top team, 0-0, looking like they could get a point, 2 subs already made through injury, stomps on a dude. What a clown.

Went to bed at 0-1, figured it'd be 0-2 or 0-3.

Sime11   

Yeh pretty much became what was predicted with spurs looking dangerous with the extra man. Both teams looked pretty flat become Shelvey's madness.

39 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Interesting read on the start of the Premier League. Doubly interesting given the current scenario in Aus football.

Also, Everton were one of the Big 5!

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-a-secret-dinner-changed-the-face-of-english-football-20170810-gxtq3t.html

What's with the explanation mark?

Carns   
3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

What's with the explanation mark?

The fact that we've done **** all for the majority of his lifetime? :P

Another thing from last night's game: England players are crap.

Kane had a one-one with Elliot where the ball lobbed over slowly from the left hand side and bounced up in such a way that he could have easily knocked it to the goalie's left or even swivelled and hooked it past his right hand, and he hit it straight at him. Hopeless.

And not too long later Dier gets the ball on the right sideline, in an advanced position. A simple square ball would have had Newcastle in all sorts as the receiver of the pass would have been in space as he moved straight inside the 18 yard box. Dier overhits a cross that goes out on the far sideline! The left winger couldn't track it down. Hopeless as well.

Carns   
14 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Another thing from last night's game: England players are crap.

Kane had a one-one with Elliot where the ball lobbed over slowly from the left hand side and bounced up in such a way that he could have easily knocked it to the goalie's left or even swivelled and hooked it past his right hand, and he hit it straight at him. Hopeless.

So, the guy who has scored +25 goals in the last two seasons (including 29/30 last season) is shite, good to know.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

The fact that we've done **** all for the majority of his lifetime? :P 

Fair point majority of my life too

Edited by StringerBellend

Carns   
8 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyway, if England players are crap, surely it's easier for someone to score 25 goals against them...:P

Almost 70% of players in the EPL are foreigners, so the percentage of English players in any squad (particularly the big teams) is relatively small.

Carns   
13 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

So English players are crap! :P

English players are overpriced and (often) overrated.