Wanderers Scrape Past Blacktown Into Cup Semi-Final

8 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Well grass doesn't grow on Teesside right.. ;)

Lol i played on pitches with hardly a blade of grass and mostly mud. The advice from the ref after a two footed slide tackle ' get the fook up and stop being a fooking pussy' 

Those were tough games those under 10 age school games.

Edited by WSWBoro
29 minutes ago, JayZko said:

We're all bagging sotiro roly melling and aspro ffs wake up and blame that thing that scored an ordinary penalty and an easy as header **** if Santalab was on not only would he be up front not ******* around in the midfield some were but we were that dominant we should of been 5 up at half time watch we'll get smashed against Adelaide all because of Oreo 

lol

4 goals in 3 games and he's useless.

He needs service, and the final ball was lacking. When he finally got a good cross

a) he should have scored if not for the keeper

b) he actually scored.

37 minutes ago, Erebus said:

lol

4 goals in 3 games and he's useless.

He needs service, and the final ball was lacking. When he finally got a good cross

a) he should have scored if not for the keeper

b) he actually scored.

Or almost broke the crossbar with a left footed drive

Yep, Ori is NFG & should be sent home immediately #DOH

IIRC, he's found the net on 8 occasions (2 x pen) during the pre-season 

Played:
Wanderers v Blacktown City 2-0 Not in country
Wanderers v Olyroos 2-2 Late sub on - Scored 1 (Pen)

Arsenal v Wanderers 3-1 Late sub on

Wanderers v Sydney United 4-1 Scored 1
Wanderers v Wellington Phoenix 1-0 (FFA Cup) Scored 1
Edgeworth Eagles v Wanderers 0-4 Late sub on 
Wanderers v Brisbane Roar 4-0 Late sub on 
Wanderers v Bankstown Berries 2-0 No goals
Bentleigh Greens v Wanderers 0-4 (FFA Cup) Scored 1
Brisbane City v Wanderers 1-3 Didn't play?
Moreton Bay v Wanderers 0-2 Scored 1 
Wanderers vs St George 5-0 Scored 1
Blacktown City v Wanderers (20th Sep) 2-2 (2-4 penalties) (FFA Cup) Scored 2 (1 x Pen)

Upcoming:
Melbourne City v Wanderers (22nd Sep)

A-League begins 6th Oct

Ah my god do you guys **** me in the ******* ass with my grandmothers leather dildo

watch the game Soft goals when if we had a real striker we'd be like 5 nil up he's ****

hey if I was in that starting eleven in the Wanderers and carried that prick all game I'd quit

Edited by JayZko
2 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

Hmmm possibly, certainly has an impact on bounce and speed of ball of course, which you have to adjust to. I have played on synthetic and normal, although admittedly not since high school but don't remember the physical impact being all that different other than adjusting your timing and so on.

Synthetic definitely has an impact. Puts a lot of strain on tendons and muscles as I've been told it has something to do with the way the studs leave the surface. Don't imagine the boys would have worn AF soleplates last night.

21 hours ago, Pup55 said:

We were missing

- our first choice CB and captain (Cornthwaite).
- our first choice left back (Llorente).
- our first choice winger (Cejudo).
- our first choice central midfielder to partner Baccus (Herd).

Of the starting 11 tonight, there were 5 that won't be there when we are full strength.

Throw in Bridge and Santa off the bench and we'll be right.

Just relax ffs

I'm unsure that those players would have done much at the end of the day:

Aspro got done for the first goal, (I believe it was a double deflection so a touch unlucky). I thought he did well for the rest of the game but can only see Corny add something more at set pieces.
Llorente, is he actually our first choice left back? Does he have a big enough engine? We will soon find out.
Herd will not play every game, he will need to be managed. I didn't think the Baccus/Melling combination was too bad considering we are in still pre season.

From my perspective. Yes, the gap between the A-League clubs and top NPL sides is not that great but I feel that our poor first half let Blacktown into game.

11 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Frustrating night in many ways but a decent cup tie to boot. We started positively and really should have been 3 up in the first 30 minutes as Blacktown never got a look in. Lack of finishing in that period then lead to sloppy play for much of the rest of the game which let Blacktown right back in it. It had that Blacktown v Mariners look about it. It was almost as if we were treating it as a training game from the 30 minute mark. 

11 hours ago, FCB said:

Kudos to City, but Blacktown are at the end of their season, fully match fit, at their peak, motivated up to their eye balls. We are still in pre-season, played a sub strength squad, and were probably underestimating them.

Have the same game played in four weeks time with the same squads and it will be a different story.
Play the same game in four weeks time with the WSW at full strength and it will be a very different story.
Play the game in April when the WSW are at their peak, and Blacktown in pre season, and the gap between HAL and NPL will be very obvious.

6 hours ago, Taurus said:

That was our 13th game of the pre-season .

Me thinks it's time we saw a confident & assured performance. 

11 hours ago, 2549_1494053217 said:

We always been slow starters.

You have to give it to Mark Crittenden. He deployed his tactics to a tee and he nearly pulled off a huge upset. The first 60 minutes were all about limiting the damage, after we scored our first we should have scored a few more before half time but were wasteful. I didn't think it was a clever decision to press so high with four attacking players which we easily exploited but he got to half time at 0-1 so I'm sure he would have been confident. I really hope this year we are not ruing missed points because of poor finishing, one season of that was enough. Give credit to the City keeper, some fantastic saves nonetheless :good: 

At 60 minutes I thought the whole team looked gassed. This is where my dilemma regarding conditioning comes in:
- We have traditionally been slow starters and with Popa's training plus the preseason loading it should be no surprise that the legs would be heavy. There is no point in aiming to peak now for the season, we want to be aiming to be peaking a week or so into the season
- The last thing we want is a repeat of ACL season when we hit January and the team is cooked mentally and physically. 
- We have had a full squad in preseason, with 13 preseason games you'd hope that when we hit 60 minutes that everyones legs don't run of gas. Most games, players play 45 minutes but you'd hope they'd be further along than they were last night. Struggling in ET no issue but so early in the second half?
- Perfect timing for BC, a few weeks rest after the season and peak time fitness wise to play us and unsure how much of an advantage the synthetic field would have played into their favour. The fields at BSP are pretty much as solid as concrete slab anyway :lol: 

Am I being too harsh or expecting too much? Perhaps the goal of last night was to do enough win the game without sacrificing the preparation for the season?

At 60 minutes, MC changes the tactics and goes for the game. Huge risk to leave another attacker up the field but he had to roll the dice to go for the game by being more exposed but boy did it pay off. The substitution and tactical change worked a treat for Blacktown City as that was when our legs went. The timing of the goal for Blacktown City was absolutely perfect. In the three upfront, they had much joy exploiting the room left by our marauding left & right backs and we just let them keep on exploiting our weaknesses. Madly frustrating. After the goal it was pretty much all Blacktown City, with a bit of luck and Vedran magic we somehow managed to make it to full-time 1-1.

Another frustrating aspect was when we went from moving the ball slowly up to 60 minutes, to moving the ball so quickly that their tired legs and minds could not keep up. We lost our composure after that goal and were trying to force things on the field. I was hoping with more pre season matches than we have had ever before, that we'd gel better as a team. My biggest issue was the slow transitions and not moving the ball quick enough allowing the defending team to get behind the ball yet not being able to put away the clinical chance (as in the first half) or not being able to create enough chances (as we did in the second half of the match).

In ET, thought Blacktown City were the better side and it seemed only after the goal that we really stepped it up a gear to level it up at 2-2. An urgency that I hadn't seen in the second half. In penalties, I feel it is the ultimate leveller but by city missing the first two penalties it really ended up being one sided and gave us what we needed to get through to the semi finals.

I ask myself, am I expecting too much? Preseason, surface, cup competition, stage of opposition season and expectation all play a part. It is hard not to read too much into the game.

4 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Synthetic definitely has an impact. Puts a lot of strain on tendons and muscles as I've been told it has something to do with the way the studs leave the surface. Don't imagine the boys would have worn AF soleplates last night.

These are the boots that Thwaite wore last night

DKPs8lwVYAArStX.jpg

9 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Llorente, is he actually our first choice left back? Does he have a big enough engine? We will soon find out.
Herd will not play every game, he will need to be managed. I didn't think the Baccus/Melling combination was too bad considering we are in still pre season.

Well I hope Llorente is first choice, otherwise why are we spending a foreign spot on him? So many times the ball went to Clisby in ACRES of space the other night, and he did nothing with it. He's no good at intricate passing movements/1-2s etc, and his crosses are just hit and hope. Where a good winger/fullback will get their head up and try to weigh the cross, he just bangs it across. More often than not Risdon, for example, is aiming for someone. Clisby's just aiming in the general direction.

I also can't see why Herd can't play all games except around FFA Cup ties etc. It's only one game a week.

On 20/09/2017 at 11:08 PM, Pup55 said:

We were missing

- our first choice CB and captain (Cornthwaite).
- our first choice left back (Llorente).
- our first choice winger (Cejudo).
- our first choice central midfielder to partner Baccus (Herd).

Of the starting 11 tonight, there were 5 that won't be there when we are full strength.

Throw in Bridge and Santa off the bench and we'll be right.

Just relax ffs

Well said Pup. It was also the basis of some of the ATB group chat yesterday. 

In saying that, plaudits should go to Crittenden in how he managed to change his tactics and push us. Something that I think Popovic lack on Wednesday night. 

The biggest issue for me is that we didn't create enough chances in the front third, due to lack of quality crosses to Oriol. I'm hoping this will improve if we start Bridge or Liorente in the left, and Cejudo on right. Also need more overlapping from Clisby and Risdon. 

Fitness is not an excuse. Our movement and passing looked light years behind Smurfs who are at the same stage of preparation. 

I can see issues if we don't get our wings working. 

12 hours ago, Taurus said:

These are the boots that Thwaite wore last night

DKPs8lwVYAArStX.jpg

They look like Opus II. But didn't think they made them low cut with a AG stud. Anyway, I'm sure this is for a different thread. I spoke to a physio mate of mine last night whom said he treats a lot of players who play AG during the week and field on weekends. Biggest issue is attacking players that persist in wearing a bladed stud on both surfaces.

9 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

They look like Opus II. But didn't think they made them low cut with a AG stud. Anyway, I'm sure this is for a different thread. I spoke to a physio mate of mine last night whom said he treats a lot of players who play AG during the week and field on weekends. Biggest issue is attacking players that persist in wearing a bladed stud on both surfaces.

Theres a stack of research on the relationship between injury and type of playing surfaces. America is a big focus as there are a lot more synthetic surfaces than other countries across their sports. 

I play 5 a side at Lily's and wear my normal studded boots that I use during the 11 a side season on grass. They're only half hour games and nowhere near the pace or intensity of a proper team but I always find the arches of my feet are sore afterwards. Other than that (and the fact you get shredded if you go to ground) I don't really notice any difference.

15 minutes ago, Davo said:

I play 5 a side at Lily's and wear my normal studded boots that I use during the 11 a side season on grass. They're only half hour games and nowhere near the pace or intensity of a proper team but I always find the arches of my feet are sore afterwards. Other than that (and the fact you get shredded if you go to ground) I don't really notice any difference.

Agree with you Davo. I play 5aside at fraser park, and thought not to bother and wear bladed superflys. Lots of recovery time needed. Switched to conical stud and immediate relief. Will say that at 43 playing against 20 year olds in a cage might add to recovery needed. :xnod:

2 hours ago, MajorMelons said:

The biggest issue for me is that we didn't create enough chances in the front third, due to lack of quality crosses to Oriol. I'm hoping this will improve if we start Bridge or Liorente in the left, and Cejudo on right. Also need more overlapping from Clisby and Risdon. 

Fitness is not an excuse. Our movement and passing looked light years behind Smurfs who are at the same stage of preparation. 

I can see issues if we don't get our wings working. 

In the first half anyway, Clisby constantly made himself available but his linking with Jumpei was so often poor by either ignoring Jumpei's run and turning inside or play the pass when Jumpei stopped or didn't run.

2 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Can anyone elaborate on what Hird's 'fitness issues' are anyway?  Have we signed a crock or something (face plant if we have, especially in a small squad league)??

Remember what happened with Perth last season, guy comes with a dodgy record.

Wouldn't be surprised if something has happened already. 

I think a few people (and the commentators) were wondering what Risdon was doing for the Blacktown goal in extra time. I just went and reviewed it, looked to me like Risdon was moving into the middle of the goal as a Blacktown player (Arujo I think) had made a run into the penalty spot and Risdon would've have wanted to defend against a cutback. I imagine he also didn't expect the ball to get rolled slowly past three other defenders and the keeper for a tap-in at the back post.

Sotirio deserves a clip over the ears for not tracking back far/fast enough. He saw Arujo making the run but jogged back to the edge of the area, not really doing anything to help man mark or to cut off a passing lane. Risdon may not have made his movement if Arujo had been manmarked on the penalty spot.

19 hours ago, mack said:

I think a few people (and the commentators) were wondering what Risdon was doing for the Blacktown goal in extra time. I just went and reviewed it, looked to me like Risdon was moving into the middle of the goal as a Blacktown player (Arujo I think) had made a run into the penalty spot and Risdon would've have wanted to defend against a cutback. I imagine he also didn't expect the ball to get rolled slowly past three other defenders and the keeper for a tap-in at the back post.

Sotirio deserves a clip over the ears for not tracking back far/fast enough. He saw Arujo making the run but jogged back to the edge of the area, not really doing anything to help man mark or to cut off a passing lane. Risdon may not have made his movement if Arujo had been manmarked on the penalty spot.

Exactly what I saw, it was obvious what Risdon was thinking - pretty poor if the commentators didn't pick it up

FMD

Toony's GK pulled off some seriously good saves particularly in the first half, with the WSW XI on the pitch almost all second stringers, and the usual suspects are shitting themselves?

Okay, it wasn't the most polished performance and it would've been better if Shotirio and Jumpei did more than look like cut and paste jobs from FIFA 2009. I was a little disappointed with Roly's work, but at the end of the day we did what Snakes said in the post penalty shoot out interview...'the win is all'.

Plus, BCFC aren't mugs. They were coached well and some of their guys (Mallia, Gibbes, Prendegast) would push for selection in a few clubs if the HAL was expanded to 12-14 clubs. 

Much rather we get this shitty stuff done now in pre-season and win, than serve it up mid-HAL and lose.

I think some concerns are justified. 

My concern, for example, is we don't seem to have changed anything tactically, that worries me. Of course with a few first eleven players to come in, we'll improve but we don't seem to have moved forward at all tactically, that's a worry for me. 

We were one dimensional and lacked  a plan B. I'm not throwing my hands up but to not have built on last season (seemingly) and for general play to appear almost identical - good and bad, I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned. 

Edited by matty