Foxe's Men Hunt Down Glory

Was a great first day and finally a nice solid win to start the season the first 60 odd minutes was as good as we have played in a long time. 

What I really enjoyed was seeing the numbers of times we played one touched passes just over half way into the attacking third and the effectiveness for which we did it. You would have thought it was round 15 not round 1. 

All the players look ready to go which is fantastic and exactly what we all hoped for and shows the importance of getting your recruitment done early on. 

It was a little displeasing to see us 'turn off' somewhat to end the game and let them back in so there is some room for  improvement there for sure. Also the way we conceded was unacceptable, Keogh completely lost all defenders in the box by simply holding back no one stayed with him, I hope Pizza boy is giving it to them this morning! 

Promising start now let's set the standard next 3 games all in NSW - so we can't ask for better platform to setup the season. 
5 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:
What I really enjoyed was seeing the numbers of times we played one touched passes just over half way into the attacking third and the effectiveness for which we did it. You would have thought it was round 15 not round 1. 

Totally agree with this, we were creating chances with ease and Perth aren't a bad team. Although they didn't play very well.

Still early days, but promising signs.

Great result, played well against a team most will struggle against. The only downer I thought was the crowd at 12,200. Oh and Andy. I thought if ever there was an bad omen to the season that was it. Not so as it turned out.

Its only one game, and on what we saw on the weekend we should handle the sea bogans easily enough...but we said that last season didn't we. Going to the derby on 6 points will be a real positive.

I have to say I'm a bit over WDYSF, but last night I think most of the crowd appreciated what was going on. Great stuff.

Spot on with the crowd 12000 is crap for opening match

if we keep winning though people will come back

as crap as spotless is, if we play decent football and win it will be far better atmosphere than last year (it’s not that bad a ground)

shame is the all the big games (eg melbourne)  are at ANZ 

11 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Can anyone elaborate on what the WST guy said on the capo stand to wild applause?

I was just above but industrial deafness is kicking in.

The gist of it was "we are all here for the same reason. Everything we do is to support the club and the players"

I know talks have been going on behind the scenes between the 2 groups to put differences aside, but dare I say it...Popa leaving may have helped the situation. Everyone had to stand up in this trying time for the players and support them as one voice.

So good to be back. Felt a sense of relaxation and peace as soon as I got to the seats.

As with everyone else, absolutely loved our new imports. Jumpei wasn't bad either but I'd say yesterday was him at his best.

• Riera works so hard, he brought down so many long balls on his chest and showed he is also a clinical finisher.
  • Cejudo spent the first 15 minutes just kicking chunks out of Glory players. I thought he would definitely get a yellow. Works incredibly hard, always encouraging team-mates and has an awesome delivery from set-pieces.
  • Roly will work as our #10 simply because he's got a great ability to take the ball and turn with it. Great combination of touch and strength and a lethal outside shot.
  • Raul was the standout for me. I'd never seen him play before but I'd struggle to name a better fullback in the league right now. As many have mentioned maybe it's the comparisons to Polenz but I had a feeling of assurance with him. Never out of position and no winger will get past him this year 1v1. So comfortable on the ball and has a good delivery as well. Can not speak highly enough about this guy.

Kudos to the RBB and WST for patching up their differences.

Minor concern was that after 60 minutes, our fitness levels dropped off the cliff. Hopefully we have a different schedule to try to peak towards the end of the year but our entire front 4 + Herd (he will play for the socceroos again while at the Wanderers) just stopped running which let Perth back in. Credit to Andreu too, his substitution seemed to allow Castro much more freedom on the ball. Add in Nichols and Perth have a pretty formidable team.

WST capo. ...bygones be bygones one team one love come together right now kinda speech. Much appreciated around stand and many hugs of reconciliation. Doubt whether all between everyone has been forgiven forgot and interesting to see new capo RBB first game up. Oh yeah now I get it fox hunts down glory. ..

We were very good even though our warm up on the park looked shaky as with Crook not knowing what to do with some of the drills and off the park with Andy P not knowing wtf was going on.  Real positives for me were Raul (Im here to clean zee pool) Llorente having a blinder, Roly and Cejuda were dominant in midfield, a striker that looks the goods, a keeper you feel safe with, Cornthwaite looks like a captain should and leads well even though his ability is limited and the result of a deep squad puts pressure on guys like Hammil and Jumpei to actually play.  Even though it was only 2-1, last year we go on to lose or draw that game.

• We looked strong but Alvarro and Herd really started getting heavy legs and were cooked by 70 mins. Not sure on the Spaniards track record but Herd has a very problematic history regarding staying fit. Not a good sign as they were both key in our dominant first half.
  • As we all know you live or die on your foreign contingent.
  • Andreu looked the goods (as we well know) when he came on and started pulling the strings for The Glory.
  • Jumpei is still crap. Over elaborates and can't shoot. Happy to be proven wrong but if I remember correctly he started OK last year too and then melted like a chocolate teapot
  • Defence looks no nonsense strong.
  • Very impressed by Baccus and Roly. The latter has an excellent engine.
  • Crowd was par for a Sunday evening timeslot bearing in mind a first game bounce. Hoping for 14K at least next Saturday.
  • Bring on the Smurfs. Should be a cracker.
Edited by beatsurrender
9 minutes ago, scarcev said:

We were very good even though our warm up on the park looked shaky as with Crook not knowing what to do with some of the drills and off the park with Andy P not knowing wtf was going on.  Real positives for me were Raul (Im here to clean zee pool) Llorente having a blinder, Roly and Cejuda were dominant in midfield, a striker that looks the goods, a keeper you feel safe with, Cornthwaite looks like a captain should and leads well even though his ability is limited and the result of a deep squad puts pressure on guys like Hammil and Jumpei to actually play.  Even though it was only 2-1, last year we go on to lose or draw that game.

That's the point ....last year we would have drawn or lost the game. 

4 hours ago, FCB said:

Regarding the game:

• All five imports were excellent, as was the whole team
  • as much as I love Jamo: Raul may just have produced the best LB performance for WSW ever; Jack Clisby ain't going to play much this season
  • should have finished off the game in the first 15 mins of second half; but were lucky that Keogh missed a sitter in the first half
  • The West of WSW were excellent especially once Andreu came on; with Nichols they'll be a handful
  • compare our GK and CBs performance with that of Redders, Cornflakes and Borda same time last year - a different league

Keep em coming, boys! 

Totally agree, especially with the GK/CB combo - Vedran/ Cornflakes/ Thwaite looked a far more settled & competent trio compared to early last years...

Can we hope for a Thwaite pants down this year?

16 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Can anyone elaborate on what the WST guy said on the capo stand to wild applause?

I was just above but industrial deafness is kicking in.

Also, the call and response WDYSF between the RBB and WST received applause from the rest of the crowd while it was proceeding. A nice touch

Basically said that whatever differences were had they have all been quashed now and we will work together in supporting the team.Hopefully this means a unified away days contingent! 

P.S. That WDWSF with WST FULLY ACROSS the pitch was stuff erections are made of.

8 minutes ago, nicknova said:

Basically said that whatever differences were had they have all been quashed now and we will work together in supporting the team.Hopefully this means a unified away days contingent! 

P.S. That WDWSF with WST FULLY ACROSS the pitch was stuff erections are made of.

Or tears in eyes. There were people next to me who gasped in disbelief when the WST responded.

A unified terrace in the NSW away games would be quite something. Test run in less than two weeks.

11 minutes ago, nicknova said:

Thanks Nick, DU and Erebus for the replies.

I thought it was a great day for the club that our active supporters united.

The applause the WDYSF between the two active groups received from the casuals confirmed my feelings as well.

Lets hope that when we return to the new WSS we can build the largest and most vocal active supporter group of any sporting code in this country. The dynamics of the stadium will also ensure it is the noisiest, and this can and will be the best thing ever for our sport.

16 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Also, congrats to the new capo (replacement or fill-in?), who brought the same pumped up fun attitude from la banda to the capo stand.

And also to Baccus who started that second goal. He could have sent a long ball up, and was looking for one, but as soon as a bit of space opened in front of him he surged into it and then played a nice ball to get the counter-attack going.

John Paul (original La Banda). He's the new old kid in town and **** me, does he pump everyone up :clapping: 

It was great. The team was very direct in attack and disciplined in defence and wow the Spaniards are all class. Roly was epic as well he was throwing himself everywhere and moments of class from Cejudo working a great combination with Reira. Chris Herd was immense in midfield as well it was amazing to watch hoping for more of the same for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

It was great. The team was very direct in attack and disciplined in defence and wow the Spaniards are all class. Roly was epic as well he was throwing himself everywhere and moments of class from Cejudo working a great combination with Reira. Chris Herd was immense in midfield as well it was amazing to watch hoping for more of the same for the rest of the season.

The best is yet to come. Once the players get a bit of game time together and are used to each others style of play, other teams will have to watch out.............going to be great to watch.

Great start to the season! We bossed them in the first half and i see a lot of positivity from our plays and how quick we are in transition from defend to attack.

Pros:

Rieras goal 
- Cejudos assist
- Hamils assist
- Jumpeis goal
- Llorente... probably will be our best signing this season. Showed so much class in both defence and leadership.
- No Sotorio

Cons:
- Foxe mistake was taking Herd off and Perf started dominating our midfield. 
- Hamil's defence at RB