Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

20 minutes ago, HillsPanther said:

I was hoping that my sarcasm was a bit more obvious.😁

Sorry I maybe a little drunk and my sarcasm meter not so accurate after a bottle of whiskey.

Imagine Mullen and Hammil cb combo with both pushing up the field in attack leaving no one at home.

18 hours ago, Stokz said:

Only players that you could say are having a good season are Janjetovic and Riera.

Llorente is having a decent season.

Everyone else is below average.

Bonevacia, Cejudo and Risdon have been massively disappointing.

No not riera no way no how id compare riera to Blackwood, bobo is on less money then riera FYI

Edited by JayZko
On 18/01/2018 at 5:22 PM, WestSyd said:

Antonis and Janjetovic are what saved Popa last season. His strengths in coaching relate more to what he can get out of his players and making them fight hard. His tactical nous is average at best. 

We would have been on the Smurfs heels if he was here? Nah, I don't think so. Probably 4th or 5th if everything went right for us. SFC, Newcastle and Adelaide are clearly better teams than us, and their coaches could easily outsmart Popa in any game situation. 

Tactics have little bearing in the A-League. Lets be fair - most players here struggle to adapt to the tactical and technical superiority of European leagues.  

Structure & discipline > style. The history of the league shows it wins championships. Not everyone can afford the time and patience to get it right with 4 foreigners on the one teamsheet. Especially when the moment it does go right, the bigger fish come calling with "business expenses + administrative costs" outside the terms of the players' naked contracts. 

On 19/01/2018 at 9:48 AM, wendybr said:

Arnie has run rings around  Popa every time we played his teams - well mostly.

Arnold has also had a stronger playing squad on most occasions, so it's exactly not a fair comparison. There's a similar approach from both of them - play to the strengths of the resources available. Both have been highly successful in their own right.

Gombau doesn't have the squad that he wants to make his system work. That probably means adding a winger who won't panic in possession of the ball, and a central defender that can not only read the game, but win the ball and dispatch it to a teammate. Both those areas are where we lose possession and momentum. The speed of attacks halt when you have cogs in the team that hesitate for a touch or two long.

2 hours ago, JayZko said:

No not riera no way no how id compare riera to Blackwood, bobo is on less money then riera FYI

Looking beyond goals, Riera has actually been considerably more productive than Bobo this season in a lot of areas statistically. It just so happens that Riera has been given inferior service and the telling statistic, shots on goal, is skewed by Bobo having more sitters.

It's got nothing to do with Bobo being able to find space better. It's that our attacks are too slow and forced, whereas Sydney often counter very quickly.

Edited by torcidaSI
Typo

Agree with above if Reira has the service Nobo is getting he’d have similar amount of goals.

added to the frustration is we have a player who is able to win long balls and bring others into play, yet we choose to aimlessly play the ball around the back line

in short Oriol is ace and the least of our problems 

The other marquee I haven’t writing off but look at is output next to Adrian and see how far he has to come 

tFttr-lN_8SSMqV6T6zEteazN1-XXf1uMSX47WBu

Id only keep santa 

because of hes

youth baby baccus aspro Vedran Tyson the rest are ****

Don’t know what you guys see in Oreo vidosic is a better striker more suited to the a league

Edited by JayZko

Nlqtz4O3R_QNUXh9ir_6d9IARievSa2xhSEzayYN

You need to run and shoot ****en in the a league ****en “not wait for  service” we just sign absolute donkeys anyways that’s our problem we’ll get the wooden spoon this season then jayzko will be coach and I’ll smash lederer in the face if I can’t sign the hottest a league talent 

sometimes i think reria must have slept with your woman :P

how you can not see he is a talent is beyond me. holds the ball up, wins it in the air, presence in box, creates havoc for the defence... yes not enough goals but you try playing up front for us this season waiting 4 hours for the ball to come

lol this guy still going off that Riera isn't good?

FFS he is one of the best players we have atm if you actually pay attention to his entire game. He has to drop deep to receive the ball because everyone else is lacking. He played 90min in all 3 games last week and did again against MV.

Riera is not the problem in the squad.

Let's wait until off season and see who JG brings in.

5 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

sometimes i think reria must have slept with your woman :P

how you can not see he is a talent is beyond me. holds the ball up, wins it in the air, presence in box, creates havoc for the defence... yes not enough goals but you try playing up front for us this season waiting 4 hours for the ball to come

Agreed he does not get the service and he has quality, not convinced he is the best finisher out there and sometimes he does just drift out of position a little himself, but he is indeed a good player for the HAL.

50 minutes ago, Erebus said:

lol this guy still going off that Riera isn't good?

FFS he is one of the best players we have atm if you actually pay attention to his entire game. He has to drop deep to receive the ball because everyone else is lacking. He played 90min in all 3 games last week and did again against MV.

Riera is not the problem in the squad.

Let's wait until off season and see who JG brings in.

What about now? Two squad spots left one foriegn, I’m interested in who Large Josep brings in now to run a salvage job on the season. 

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

What about now? Two squad spots left one foriegn, I’m interested in who Large Josep brings in now to run a salvage job on the season. 

Maybe the ATB guys can Interview Tsatsimas again about the season thus far and potential January transfers.

Add to that discussion the NYL and W-League performances as well as the fact that the Roar are doing $0 Academy placements. 

6 hours ago, JayZko said:

You guys get excited over anything though lol we could have Michael mifsud you guys would make him sound like Ronaldo I don’t understand the love

A brief diversion...

Lol -  Midsud got plenty of "love" from the guys here when he played for the Heart! :lol: :lol:

BTW - I checked to see what he was doing now - "He is the captain of the Maltese national team. " according to Wiki ??

Carry on...

We need a Leroy George clone. Fast, dynamic and sets them up. We need it now.

If we had a starting front 4 of Riera, George, Cejudo and Marcelo it would work wonders for us. 

Baby Baccus and Herd in behind.

Cejudo has been a letdown and is certainly no marquee, but he would be more of a threat playing with better players like Marcelo and another top notch winger. And if he doesnt show improvement we improve on him in the offseason.

I was sceptical about Marcelo Carrusca but damn he is a breathe of fresh air. He is head and shoulders above every midfielder we have in the creativity and passing department. Really shows how bad our squad is for a possession styled game considering he was surpluss at Adelaide and City. If he stays injury free i would definitely give him another season.

Players like Bridge, Roly, Baccus Snr, Sotirio and Lustica are not the worst players (ok sotirio is..) but they should be sitting on the pine and playing the our best starting 11 players off the park with good form. They 100% should not be in our best starting 11, let alone all be a part of our starting 11.....unless we are happy to be outside the 6. 

bring in the signings!!!

Edited by DeeDee

I’m actually surprised that we didn’t have a replacement for Jumpy lined up when we let him go. I shouldn’t be surprised should I? 

Even Twitter is quite the only rumour that is about is Cha Du Rhi is coming out of retirement to play for us.

Im only across that rumour because I made it up just now 

Edited by StringerBellend
15 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m actually surprised that we didn’t have a replacement for Jumpy lined up when we let him go.

That wasn't point all along. Regardless of how good/bad he was he was a starter in our team. We let him go almost 3 weeks ago and no replacement. At least with Melling we got Carusca but nothing for Jumpei.

On other threads I see some are perplexed that we let our captain go. Frankly, did Cornie really provide that much leadership other than a hashtag? I just find it strange that he was the first to get out of dodge. Really didn't see him beinging a backbone of defence or pulling team together. Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

On other threads I see some are perplexed that we let our captain go. Frankly, did Cornie really provide that much leadership other than a hashtag? I just find it strange that he was the first to get out of dodge. Really didn't see him beinging a backbone of defence or pulling team together. Thoughts?

He’s replaceable, but we haven’t replaced him.

As per Jumpy surprised (but not surprised) we don’t see to have anything lined up. 

2 hours ago, thefairy said:

But we will replace him down the track. Right? 

I expect JG to bring in the players he needs next season. I won't be surprised if alot more players leave.

This season hasn’t finished, still 10 rounds to go

• mack unpinned this topic