Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

Where is Cejudo for Perth

Western Sydney Wanderers FC Squad: 3.Jack CLISBY, 4.Josh RISDON, 5.Brendan HAMILL, 6. Marcelo CARRUSCA, 7. Steve LUSTICA, 8.Roly BONEVACIA, 9.Oriol RIERA, 11.Brendon SANTALAB, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 16. Jaushua SOTIRIO, 19.Mark BRIDGE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (Gk), 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 24.Raúl LLORENTE, 25.Chris HERD, 33.Michael THWAITE, 40. Nick SUMAN (Gk), 42.Keanu BACCUS (returns from international duty) 
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 5.Brendan HAMILL (returns from suspension), 16. Jaushua SOTIRIO (promoted), 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS (returns from international duty), 42.Keanu BACCUS (returns from international duty) 
Outs: 23.Lachlan SCOTT (not selected), 35. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS (not selected)
Unavailable: Nil 

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Where is Cejudo for Perth

Western Sydney Wanderers FC Squad: 3.Jack CLISBY, 4.Josh RISDON, 5.Brendan HAMILL, 6. Marcelo CARRUSCA, 7. Steve LUSTICA, 8.Roly BONEVACIA, 9.Oriol RIERA, 11.Brendon SANTALAB, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 16. Jaushua SOTIRIO, 19.Mark BRIDGE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (Gk), 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 24.Raúl LLORENTE, 25.Chris HERD, 33.Michael THWAITE, 40. Nick SUMAN (Gk), 42.Keanu BACCUS (returns from international duty) 
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 5.Brendan HAMILL (returns from suspension), 16. Jaushua SOTIRIO (promoted), 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS (returns from international duty), 42.Keanu BACCUS (returns from international duty) 
Outs: 23.Lachlan SCOTT (not selected), 35. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS (not selected)
Unavailable: Nil 

Look on the bright side - Scott (aka Franklin, the slow-moving turtle) is out.

32 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Only winger out there really is ikonemidis who wants out of Lazio I've seen some of his highlights he is fast and can finish he's very similar to borrello I reckon we will get him as there are not many wingers out there who would leave there club for a struggling aleague team:nea:

Seen him play for young roos and socceroos. 

Look hes a good player, hes not the fastest, probably Robbie Kruse speed. His finishing hasnt translated to first grade football yet. Similar type of player to Cejudo i think. For me hes more the type of player you would as your second best winger (in Bridges place) just as Cejudo should be really. What were desperate for is pretty much our "new best player" on the other wing and with a new point of difference, that being speed and good wing play.

Edited by DeeDee
52 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Still waiting for our flood of gombau-ball ready signings to materialise.

Tick-tock........

Stop worrying man it’s all under control 

Check this out 

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/hal-ins-outs-sundays-game-against-perth

Despite the loss, the Wanderers still have a solid foothold on their 6th place spot, sitting three points above the 7thplaced Central Coast Mariners, and with a game in hand to play against”

See firm foothold clear of the Mariners!

The ambition of this club comes thru in everything we do 

Oh Icarus lest you fly too close to the sun and melt your wax wings 

Or something along those lines 

It will be fine, just look at Adelaide, building a team capable of losing in the first semi final 4-1 at Allianz doesn’t happen overnight does it?

Edited by StringerBellend
3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It will be fine, just look at Adelaide, building a team capable of losing in the first semi final 4-1 at Allianz doesn’t happen overnight does it?

That team managed to do something we haven't done yet, win the FFA Cup, and then the next season more than half the starting squad from that losing semi-final was in the game where they beat us in the Grand Final. I'd take a trophy next year and the Grand Final the year after wouldn't you?

28 minutes ago, mack said:

That team managed to do something we haven't done yet, win the FFA Cup, and then the next season more than half the starting squad from that losing semi-final was in the game where they beat us in the Grand Final. I'd take a trophy next year and the Grand Final the year after wouldn't you?

better than nothing I guess

But basically I’m not too bothered about us winning a preseason cup, I’d like it sure.

Amor won the grand final, admittedly off a strong base.

I would think the aim should be finals football this year, and a GF next year and be capable of winning it.

As for writing this year off I’m not down with that, he will have had 21 games out of 27 and a transfer window to make changes in he needs.

If he can’t get this squad (win jan tweaks) to finish above the likes of Mariners, Phoenix, Brisbane and Perth this year and he can’t fix the the omnishambles at the back, then I don’t see that his record (one FFA cup win, and highly competitive Hong Kong league) and performance for us is  strong enough to earn the trust he is getting. 

Like I say I’m  not gombau out, half of what I post is for comedy value (admittedly dubious value).

But I don’t see what he has done to earn a free ticket to abandoning this season as it will be all ok next. 

I would expect that the club have set him a target to achieve this year and I would doubt its 

To be fair to the big man, the club need to back him in this window and ensure that we bring in the best we can to give him the best shot at finals football. that doesn’t look like it’s happening though we have burned three games already (about to be 4)  in the post Jumpy era

I really want you all to laugh at me at the end of season and say I told you so. 

We aren’t the Mariners 

Edited by StringerBellend
20 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Stop worrying man it’s all under control 

Check this out 

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/hal-ins-outs-sundays-game-against-perth

Despite the loss, the Wanderers still have a solid foothold on their 6th place spot, sitting three points above the 7thplaced Central Coast Mariners, and with a game in hand to play against”

See firm foothold clear of the Mariners!

The ambition of this club comes thru in everything we do 

Oh Icarus lest you fly too close to the sun and melt your wax wings 

Or something along those lines 

Never mind about next season, or the season after! What the **** is wrong with people? 

Coming third has to be the rock bottom goal - this season!!

The next three games are cruical. Winning at home is cruical. We need to get in a position were we can pip City, VIC and Reds in the final three rounds. 

Mack,

you omitted the minor technicality that it was Amor who won the double with the Reds, not Gombau. And he did so with a far more defensive approach than Gombau.

57 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Yeah smurfs have written off more seasons than our existence 

im happy to write off next season as well if it means 100% we are in parra in for season stating October 2019

thats how much i despise sop 

Gunner, writing off seasons? You are sounding like an Arsenal supporter...

3 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Only club I reckon would go for him would be us as we need a defender so I reckon we would be talking to him but other clubs I don't think would have the money to buy him off another club as we got cap space to easily fit him in along with a winger

More likely Victory. If Milligan leaves to the UAE, Broxham would move to the centre of the park again, freeing up the LB position for a Melbourne born Aussie.

Though Gombau does like attacking minded, 'modern centre backs'. 

I think Davidson has a contract that ends on 15/06/2018, with his club having the option of adding 2 years. Technically his club would be happy to let him go to avoid paying his wages and not utilising him for 6 months.

Edited by torcidaSI
More info added
1 hour ago, torcidaSI said:

More likely Victory. If Milligan leaves to the UAE, Broxham would move to the centre of the park again, freeing up the LB position for a Melbourne born Aussie.

Though Gombau does like attacking minded, 'modern centre backs'. 

I think Davidson has a contract that ends on 15/06/2018, with his club having the option of adding 2 years. Technically his club would be happy to let him go to avoid paying his wages and not utilising him for 6 months.

Why would being Melbourne born be a draw for him? He’s 26 and used to playing where ever the football is, it’s not like he’s looking into semi retirement close to home. I don’t know many players at all that give a crap about which city they play in, nor do coaches care which city Someone was born in. Fans might care, but players and coaches are worried about $, game time and outcomes.

As far as Brox replacing Milligan in the middle, I’d be shocked if that was their solution for a whole season. They’re far more likely to head out to market to find someone capable of replacing Millsy.

Most teams are going to be left with holes all over the park with a monstrous amount of players off contract. 

• mack unpinned this topic