Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

Expiring End 2017/18
Alvaro Cejudo (Foreign, Marquee)
Brendon Santalab
Brendan Hamill 
Jack Clisby
Jacob Melling
Jerrad Tyson
John Hall (Injury Replacement for Jerrad Tyson)
Jonathan Aspropotamitis
Jumpei Kusukami (Foreign)
Michael Thwaite
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Raul Llorente (Foreign)
Robbie Cornthwaite
Steven Lustica
Vedran Janjetovic

Expiring End 2018/19
Abraham Majok (U21)
Chris Herd
Keanu Baccus (U21)
Kearyn Baccus
Lachlan Scott (U21)
Marc Tokich (U21)
Mark Bridge
Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee)
Jaushua Sotirio
Josh Risdon
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign)

Special Player Limitations (As part of overall squad cap)
5 of 5 Foreign Players - 0 Available
2 of 2 Marquee Position (Wage not included in Salary Cap)

A-League squad comprised of up to 20 First Team players, with a requirement for 3 players aged 20 or younger (U21).
20 of 20 First Team Contracts - 0 Available
5 U21 Contracts - Minimum 3 required

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

its going to be really interesting to see who leaves and who stays come end of the season with Gombau now at the helm.

It's come to looking at the January transfer window for salvation or resignation that naught will be okay till we get back to Parra. Come what may take Active out of the skeletal support and you ain't got much in the terraces. 

No to Smeltz, stop with the rumours.

Barring a miracle improvement I would consider releasing the following:

Alvaro Cejudo (Foreign, Marquee) - Has done little to be worth marquee status. Also, our gameplay will be better off with a high quality foreign central defender or midfielder instead of a winger.
Brendan Hamill - If he has a good season he'll probably leave to some other club for more cash, if he doesn't have a good season then we don't need to keep him.
Jacob Melling - Trifiro Mk2. Without the Asian Champions League Man Of The Match Award. Also, Gombau released him at Adelaide right? Done nothing that a youth player couldn't do.
Jerrad Tyson - He's been incredibly injury prone with us, twice he's sign a new contract for the season after then got a long term injury. I think it's time for Nick Suman to step up.
Jumpei Kusukami (Foreign) - Japanese Sotirio.
Michael Thwaite & Robbie Cornthwaite - Two old central defenders who haven't really kept the shop shut like we need. 
Steven Lustica - Too many injuries.
Vedran Janjetovic - Popa signing, has been average. If we can find a better keeper, go for it. His distribution is pretty poor as well.
Sotirio - Don't care that he has a two year deal. Get rid.

And keep:
Brendon Santalab - Time's arrow never goes backwards, perhaps this might be his final season? I'd leave it up to him if he wants to stay on another year.
Jack Clisby - Australia is historically light on fullbacks.
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - He's had a rough patch but that's not enough to get rid of him. Long term contract imo.
Nicholas Suman (U21) - Re-sign
Raul Llorente (Foreign) - I would be more likely to give him one more year unless he has a bad injury run or really drops in quality.

Definitely keep Llorente, he has been the only foreigner that has been consistent and gives a 100% every game.

Just now, StringerBellend said:

I still think cejudo will come good

Yeah I'm not giving up on him just yet. The guy played in La Liga last year (yeah yeah I know, Pio), it's too early to write him off. He's shown glimspes of his potential and had a few setbacks...the wrist, the red card meaning him being subbed off. 

He's barely had a chance to put a run of games together, and when he has he's been playing with a massive cast on his right hand.

I know Vedran is hot and cold, but I still believe he’s one of the leagues best keepers when he’s on his game.

Having a good defence helps too. Look at Redmayne, has had **** all to do and now he’s perceived as being a good keeper lmao. 

Edited by xxBrandonxx

Yeh.

I don't get that anyone would want to get rid of Vedran. Salary capped league means we have to get the best of what is available. He goes ok.

There's not been many goals scored against us that we can solely blame on him. Occasional howler he is good for, but geez, he's made some incredible saves as well.

I'm happy to keep him.

Really don't know any longer why we keep seeing these mass culls if we lose key players and with them momentum. On paper at least this is the best squad we've seen so far, but poor results and performances regardless.

Spend the money on the starting 11 and the four bench players. Fill up the rest with juniors. No point in having 20 odd players if too few of them stand out. Of our five imports only one or two have been a consitent performers. Not good enough. 

As long as we keep Llorente. Lucked in on a real winner there. What about Burns or Duke or both. Back end load some marque deal. Let’s contend......

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Really don't know any longer why we keep seeing these mass culls if we lose key players and with them momentum. On paper at least this is the best squad we've seen so far, but poor results and performances regardless.

Spend the money on the starting 11 and the four bench players. Fill up the rest with juniors. No point in having 20 odd players if too few of them stand out. Of our five imports only one or two have been a consitent performers. Not good enough. 

this squad is an attacking number 10 short and lacks a winger with pace who also can shoot and cross 

Roly ain’t a number 10

sotirio and Japanese sotirio arent good enough 

Jury is out on cejudo 

Then there is the question of do you play the system that suits your players or do you force the players into your system?

Gombau is doing the second one 

Arnold stirringly things up ore derby but he has a point. Not the best way to motivate your current back 4 by going shopping to buy the opposition back 4 

whos clever idea was it to do that pre derby

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Arnold stirringly things up ore derby but he has a point. Not the best way to motivate your current back 4 by going shopping to buy the opposition back 4 

whos clever idea was it to do that pre derby

Bossi the smurf.

1 hour ago, hawks2767 said:

Bossi the smurf.

Our club should ban Bossi from home games. And Gatt claims he is WSW fan. Utter nonsense.

On 08/12/2017 at 7:50 PM, Paul01 said:

Our club should ban Bossi from home games. And Gatt claims he is WSW fan. Utter nonsense.

Gatty is rusted on Mariners. He might say he likes WSW, but there’s never been any doubt where his heart lies. He’s quite open about it. 

3 hours ago, smp said:

Gatty is rusted on Mariners. He might say he likes WSW, but there’s never been any doubt where his heart lies. He’s quite open about it. 

I think he meant that Gatty claims that Bossi is a WSW fan!

10 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

I think he meant that Gatty claims that Bossi is a WSW fan!

Oh right. If that’s the case then yes, clearly a load of bollocks. 

Here's a question to the more experienced. I've witnessed Jumpei on multiple occasions drive right into the box then simply blind pass to no one! Is this the attackers fault for not looking up to see that the set play is not on, or the supporting players fault for not getting forward or reading the play?

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

Here's a question to the more experienced. I've witnessed Jumpei on multiple occasions drive right into the box then simply blind pass to no one! Is this the attackers fault for not looking up to see that the set play is not on, or the supporting players fault for not getting forward or reading the play?

The answer lies in how the really strong teams convert chances. If you roll the tape on Jumpei's unproductive pushes into the box, more often than not there is nobody within cooee. How many times have you seen other teams do a simple tap in from these situations? 

Jumpei has poor vision for support options, but the options are not often there anyway.

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

Mack posted a revealing video in the Jumpei thread last month. 

Edited by FCB

Our players are some of the most static and flat footed players in the competition. I would only rate Santalab as one of the few players in our club who anticipates things well. Bridgey in his day was good. But these guys are getting on in years now. Sotirio also is good in this sense, but the end product just isn’t there.

2 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

It's bit of both.

He can make a break but his finishing is terrible. I've lost count of the number of times he has made a break but leaves it too late to pass to his support, either ignoring someone following through on the inside, or when he does pass he is not giving his striker a chance.to run into space and the defense gets there and the chance(s) is blown. Pull your hair out and scream type stuff.

Edited by sonar

5 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's bit of both.

He can make a break but his finishing is terrible. I've lost count of the number of times he has made a break but leaves it too late to pass to his support, either ignoring someone following through on the inside, or when he does pass he is not giving his striker a chance.to run into space and the defense gets there and the chance(s) is blown. Pull your hair out and scream type stuff.

Don't disagree, but he has another weakness (but I do enjoy watching him run with the ball so I am conflicted) Jumpei doesn't shoot, the other teams know this, he is amazing on the ball, he glides past them gets in around, kids should watch how he does that.  BUT when he gets into the box, defenders know he won't shoot so they stand off and look for the cut back, look for the cross and clear.  If he mixed it up, if he did take shots, I suspect that when he didn't he would find my gaps to pass into

5 minutes ago, Posthoc said:

Don't disagree, but he has another weakness (but I do enjoy watching him run with the ball so I am conflicted) Jumpei doesn't shoot, the other teams know this, he is amazing on the ball, he glides past them gets in around, kids should watch how he does that.  BUT when he gets into the box, defenders know he won't shoot so they stand off and look for the cut back, look for the cross and clear.  If he mixed it up, if he did take shots, I suspect that when he didn't he would find my gaps to pass into

I think of him as a poor man's Castelen. Romeo could make a break, was lightening quick, but his finishing or lack of at times was annoying for a player of his abilities. He is is different to Jumpei in that he could actually "shoot *****".

Biggest problem with our squad is our defensive spine. Might sound ridiculous but we need supreme confidence in our defence not only to stop leaking goals but to score them also. 

Also agree we should look to keep as many regular first teamers on for team continuity and for certain players to get over the "new league transition phase" and really kick on.

Id release fringe players, oldies and the perennial let downs such as:

Brendon Santalab - too old, dont want to start hating the bloke for simply being too relied on saving us. 
Brendan Hamill 
Jack Clisby - Sorry but simply really average tacticaly and defensively 
Jacob Melling
Jerrad Tyson - need a better younger understudy to put janjetovic under pressure
John Hall (Injury Replacement for Jerrad Tyson)
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - Sorry but not sorry, has to go. 
Jumpei Kusukami (Foreign) - adios
Michael Thwaite - The only old timer i would consider re-seigning if we were desperate, but should be backup.
Nicholas Suman (U21) - Probably keep him.
Robbie Cornthwaite 
Steven Lustica

I would keep the following:

Raul Llorente (Foreign) - borderline, but we really need to consider team continuity 

Vedran Janjetovic - would only consider not keeping him if we lured Lawrence Thomas over.

Alvaro Cejudo (Foreign, Marquee) - Have faith in him getting over his first year transition syndrome

Abraham Majok (U21)
Chris Herd
Keanu Baccus (U21)
Kearyn Baccus
Lachlan Scott (U21)
Marc Tokich (U21)
Mark Bridge
Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee)
Jaushua Sotirio
Josh Risdon
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign)

In terms of a-league off contract players i would be interested in:

Nikola Mileusnic - Classy young winger, end product needs a little work, bu his output is miles ahead of all our wingers at a very good price. Gombau style of player. 

George Blackwood - Good hard working backup, having a productive season minus the goals.

Liam Rose - Western Sydney boy and simply needs to be in our line up. 

Bruce Kamau - Gombau's old player and quality

Thomas Deng - Quick, ball playing defender with versatility. Should throw the bank at him.

Andrew Nabbout - Kind of a weird winger, but always seems to be a game changer. Offers speed and unpredictability. 

Shane Lowry - Always been a fan. Might be a little out of form but offers some much needed mongrel in the a-league yet still has speed and experience.