Nikolai Topor-Stanley

mack

I guess it makes sense he loses all the hair 

:(  :(

Deserved a proper farewell from us.

Would have liked him to play in front of us one last time before he left and give him a proper goodbye.

He did get a 30 minute run with the seconds, against the Jets at Cessnock. T'was the perfect send off  :flag:

Sad lol!   :(  :(

NO, the way he repped our crest, on the Wednesday night prior against Heart, was sad.

HOME NEWS

​Club farewells departing captain

image: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/5a/63/nikolai-topor-stanley-anz-stadium_pwysgztbz4eh1v6sq0roubzxr.jpg?t=-723389481

Nikolai Topor-Stanley ANZ Stadium

Farewell, legend.

Tuesday, 18 October 2016 -

@wswanderersfc

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today officially said farewell to departing captain Nikolai Topor-Stanley who has signed with a club in the United Arab Emirates.

Following four incredible seasons in the Red & Black, two as captain, which saw him play in three Grand Finals and win a Champions League and Premiers Plate, Nikolai leaves with the blessing of the club.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/b2/a3/nikolai-topor-stanley-celebrates_j3zc04awhllt1jkguzlmbzwy7.jpg?t=-1510303761

“Nikolai was a consummate professional on and off the pitch. His dedication did not just exist at the training ground and on game days, but to the philosophy at the core of our club,†said Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas.

“He was a core part to our successes both domestically and internationally and his efforts earned him wide praise including a Socceroos call-up and many plaudits from our members and his peers.

“While he leaves us at the beginning of our season, his attitude has been flawless and we commend him on his time with us and wish him well for this next chapter in his career.â€

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/37/1/brisbane-roar-semi-final_j9bu6m6vvn1c1epxfdd41nyqy.jpg?t=-1149583513

With 125 appearances for the Wanderers including 103 Hyundai A-League, 14 AFC Champions League, five Westfield FFA Cup and one FIFA Club World Cup appearance, Nikolai was an ever present for the Wanderers and was selected in the PFA Team of the Year in the 2012/13 & 2015/16 seasons as well as winning the Wanderers Medal in 2015 and Members Player of the Year in 2013.

In 2013 Nikolai was also selected in the FFA’s maiden Foxtel A-League All Stars side that took on Manchester United.

In his farewell message from the UAE, where he has already begun training, Topor-Stanley reflected on his time at the Club.

“In football, opportunities such as this rarely come around and when it was presented to me I knew that it was something I had to explore,†said Topor-Stanley.

“I would like to express my upmost gratitude to the Club for allowing me to pursue this opportunity both from a personal and professional level. I have always wanted to test myself overseas and this is a great chance for me to experience a different culture in life and in football.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/e4/a5/nikolai-topor-stanley-who-do-you-sing-for_hu7x2byh7xqz1s22efimn4qdl.jpg?t=698110073

“Firstly I want to thank all my teammates, coaching staff, backroom staff and volunteers past and present that made the last four and a bit years the best of my career so far. The Wanderers is a special club that in so little time has captured a nation and I'm sure it's only the beginning of more great times ahead.

“It has been an honour and a humbling experience to be able to say I was and am a part of the history of this Club and I will always hold that close to my heart.

“I consider myself fortunate to have played one game for this club, but to have made over 100 appearances and being given the responsibility to lead the team for the past two seasons was the highest honour.

“While I won’t list and gloat about the achievements this Cub has made, I can truly say that every year the expectation was to win everything in which we competed.

“He might not like me saying this but a huge part of the whole Club’s success is down to the vision, drive and leadership of Tony Popovic that has spread throughout everyone at the club to strive for the highest achievement. For this I want to thank him for believing in me and giving me the chance to join this Club.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/5e/af/nikolai-topor-stanley-afc-champions-league-trophy_1sbqzen112ycc1k454jptsbru3.jpg?t=-720013121

“The standards off the pitch are just as high though. Engaging with fans has and always will be the lifeblood of this Club and together we have all created something magical. Anyone who has been to a Wanderers match knows the feeling and the energy that is created on a match day is difficult to put into words.

“This Club belongs to anyone who wants to be involved. It transcends gender, racial and cultural background and to me epitomises what Australia is all about. To all the members and fans that support this team I would like to thank you all for everything we have shared. You made my time a very special one and we will always be connected.

“Football has an unpredictable nature and although it is goodbye for now you never know when our paths might cross again.â€

Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/club-farewells-departing-captain/k1agck4ktxcn1b79u8m7broo7#8CkZzZaXjDtIAGru.99

This Club belongs to anyone who wants to be involved. It transcends gender, racial and cultural background and to me epitomises what Australia is all about.

Got a bit choked up at this. I don't think I've ever seen it put so well.

You'll be missed, Nikolai. Thanks for everything and best of luck on the new adventure.

Would have liked him to play in front of us one last time before he left and give him a proper goodbye.

He did get a 30 minute run with the seconds, against the Jets at Cessnock. T'was the perfect send off  :flag:

NO, the way he repped our crest, on the Wednesday night prior against Heart, was sad.

the fact that is what you will remember him for is even sadder

Only thing that was sad about the game up at Cessnock was those of us who went to the Kearsley pub didn't get a chance to see the lingerie waitresses and the $3 schooners...

I've made multiple comments on social media about his slack attitude at both training & in games, during the pre-season. 

I was never comfortable with Popa's decision to continue to play him in trial & FFA Cup games, whilst trying to offload him.

Had NTS done the honourable thing & found himself a new home during the off-season, as Fathead did, I may have better memories of his contribution to WSW, over the last 4 years. 

I've made multiple comments on social media about his slack attitude at both training & in games, during the pre-season. 

I was never comfortable with Popa's decision to continue to play him in trial & FFA Cup games, whilst trying to offload him.

Had NTS done the honourable thing & found himself a new home during the off-season, as Fathead did, I may have better memories of his contribution to WSW, over the last 4 years. 

so this pre season and a game or two this season wipes out everything he has done for the club??? 

to say a run with the seconds is the perfect send of for him is a complete insult against every thing he has done for us, i dont really give a **** about his attitude this season, he gave us everything he had for 4 season and was a huge part of our success. you remember him how ever you want but i feel sorry for you if that is the way you choose to remember a great servant to our club.

Great words from Topor. That's a player who was invested in being a Wanderer, regardless of a less than stellar performances in his last games.:

The way he spoke about the club, the fans, his colleagues & perhaps the most surprisingly Popa (who by all accounts forced him out) was pure class. Love this guy, what he did for us & everything about him. Legend!

I won't be shedding any tears following the departure of NTS.

Others can please themselves.

Yes he has been completely below par but this excuses the way that he was treated in season 5? Not treatment befitting of a WSW club legend.

together we have all created something magical.

the feeling and the energy that is created on a match day is difficult to put into words.

This Club belongs to anyone who wants to be involved. It transcends gender, racial and cultural background and to me epitomises what Australia is all about.

we will always be connected

:wanderturtle:  :wanderturtle:  :wanderturtle:

I don't care how his time here ended. Anyone that writes words like these is a WSW legend.

Edited by btron3000
  • 7 months later...
“I have had a good history of playing football in this region and I know the passion that the people have for their team,” Topor-Stanley said. “I know that the people are very proud people here and the fact that they haven’t had that much success recently means it will be even sweeter when we do reach that.”

“There is a long road ahead and I am really looking forward to getting out on the training track. Hopefully I can add my experience of what I have learnt both here and abroad to help bring winning times.”

Topor-Stanley said that he believes new Newcastle Jets Head Coach Ernie Merrick has the know-how and expertise to help the team excel, and added that he’s more than willing to convey key learnings from his time under another of the competition’s most successful managers, Tony Popovic, to his teammates if called upon.

“His (Ernie Merrick’s) track record speaks for itself,” Topor-Stanley said. “I know that he is capable of getting the job done, but this is only the beginning.”

“I learnt some very valuable lessons during my time under Tony. You have to leave no stone unturned, especially in the pre-season, to really set yourself a platform for success. I lived five years of that and I have seen first hand what hard work and dedication brings you. So I have no issues with passing on my experience and giving 100 per cent,” he concluded.

20 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Can't wait to see an NTS clearance again 

I have a very fond memory of my sister and niece yelling at NTS to " hoof" it anywhere, during the closing stages of our semi final win against the Roar at Parra. 

How many players are left he still played with in 15/16? Santa, Sotirio, Aspro, Baccus, Hamill - that's it. Quite incredible, really. 

It will be interesting to see both Cornflakes and NTS on the pitch and compare them, if that is at all possible.

Topor's last game at Parra was the epic semi against the Roar. The game were the ground shook, according to Castelen. He'll be, well, amazed when he rocks up at Spotless with the Jets.

• 1 year later...

Q: "Topor-Stanley looked pretty fresh, considering he's played the last three games."

Merrick (shakes his head): "I think he is a machine, I don't know how Topor does it, he is just incredible. [...] He never is on the phisio's bench. Never. He just looks after himself, he is a true professional. [...] He's just so reliable, he never complains. And the same with Nigel [Boogaard]. If I say "how are you guys feeling?" - "Great!". If he had a broken leg, Topor would say "I am fine as well."

In retrospect, when he moved on after S4 (together with Bridgey and Jamo), we lost three leaders on both the pitch and in the locker room, NTS arguably being the most important one out of the three. His departure left a hole behind which is yet to be filled.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Q: "Topor-Stanley looked pretty fresh, considering he's played the last three games."

Merrick (shakes his head): "I think he is a machine, I don't know how Topor does it, he is just incredible. [...] He never is on the phisio's bench. Never. He just looks after himself, he is a true professional. [...] He's just so reliable, he never complains. And the same with Nigel [Boogaard]. If I say "how are you guys feeling?" - "Great!". If he had a broken leg, Topor would say "I am fine as well."

In retrospect, when he moved on after S4 (together with Bridgey and Jamo), we lost three leaders on both the pitch and in the locker room, NTS arguably being the most important one out of the three. His departure left a hole behind which is yet to be filled.

NTS had become a liability when we let him go. Good for him on his resurrection though.