The Refereeing Thread

For me the biggest issue around the sin bin, as is the case with most refereeing issues is around consistency. I have played in games where players have been allowed to drop a “WTF?” after a decision without anything happening and then someone else has been sin binned for a “no way”. And this has been in games that were in no way getting heated and both teams were perplexed by the decision. 

14 minutes ago, BBB said:

For me the biggest issue around the sin bin, as is the case with most refereeing issues is around consistency. I have played in games where players have been allowed to drop a “WTF?” after a decision without anything happening and then someone else has been sin binned for a “no way”. And this has been in games that were in no way getting heated and both teams were perplexed by the decision. 

Yeah that’s my worry. I’ve never played in a sin bin league, but the inconsistency with yellows is already bad enough at amateur level.

Some refs allow a fair bit of chat, while others reach for the pocket as soon as anyone speaks. At least with a yellow it’s a clear warning to the rest of the players what you’re in for, so you know to shut up if they’re card happy.

With sin bins the first you know about it you’re down to 10 men.

8 hours ago, Davo said:

Yeah that’s my worry. I’ve never played in a sin bin league, but the inconsistency with yellows is already bad enough at amateur level.

Some refs allow a fair bit of chat, while others reach for the pocket as soon as anyone speaks. At least with a yellow it’s a clear warning to the rest of the players what you’re in for, so you know to shut up if they’re card happy.

With sin bins the first you know about it you’re down to 10 men.

I referee in competitions where temporary dismissals are used only for dissent against a match official. In the association comp, we show a yellow then use a 2 handed point to the sideline with 5 minutes "rest" for u12 to u17s and 10 minutes "rest" for adults. This has been in place for about 5 years. Usually, with a heated tone "Are you serious " or ehen a decision is made or not made to the liking of the player words like"This is sh**"). When the F*** word is used, straight red for abuse. Recorded as a yellow card on the match sheet. In its first year there was a about a 30% reduction in red cards on the year before.

In Football NSW youth competitions, no card is shown only the 2 handed point to the technical area for a temporary dismissal. It is recorded as a TD on the natchshret. But, from what i understand, it counts as yellow card for disciplinary purposes. This has been in place for about 4 years.

Works well but Stopping a promising attack is not in the TD protocols i referee under.

• 2 months later...

First weekend of Association Football.

Record following washout

Temporary dismissal (5 minutes) for one 15 year old boy who questioned my refereeing decisions. 

Red Card for Violent Conduct for an 18 year old plus 2 incident reports for the same players plus 6 yellow cards in the same game.

9 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

First weekend of Association Football.

Record following washout

Temporary dismissal (5 minutes) for one 15 year old boy who questioned my refereeing decisions. 

Red Card for Violent Conduct for an 18 year old plus 2 incident reports for the same players plus 6 yellow cards in the same game.

What did they do?

Just now, Unlimited said:

What did they do?

Red card. Tangle between 2 players, player fouled retaliated with one hand on the throat and the other on the face of the player who fouled him. Same player failed to leave the field after being given the red card and remained in the vicinity of the pitch plus another action which i won't publish

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Red card. Tangle between 2 players, player fouled retaliated with one hand on the throat and the other on the face of the player who fouled him. Same player failed to leave the field after being given the red card and remained in the vicinity of the pitch plus another action which i won't publish

You'd think they'd keep it civil for a few rounds... geez

2 hours ago, Carns said:

Does he miss the next match?

Nope. As the yellow from earlier in the game isn't carried into the shootout he technically wasn't on a yellow when he got booked in the shootout.

In saying that, he got the yellow for the way he was behaving with the crowd, then did the same thing multiple times again during the shootout so probably should have received a third yellow.