Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

If Labour were in power, there is no way it would happen (a new stadium). With a Liberal government there is always a chance, especially in the current economic climate we are in where there is huge growth in and around Parramatta (and being touted as a second CBD). We might just get it now, but we will never get it in 5 years time. Therefore better to wait a year or so and see, and if not just accept the upgrade.

Interesting article about how the National Stadium of Singapore is having problems with is turf because it's a multipurpose stadium that caters for other events like concerts. Now it has employed the melbourne company that is responsible for the hybrid turf systems at ANZ stadium and the MCG.

It is replacing the Desso Grassmaster hybrid turf which it had only installed last year, which incidentally is the turf system that has been installed for the Melbourne City training pitch.

When Parramatta Stadium had its turf replaced earlier this year was it a hybrid turf system with synthetic fibers or was it just natural turf?

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/hg-sports-provide-permanent-solution-national-stadium-pitch-issues

The pitch at AAMI park in Melbourne is the best in the country. It was in mint condition for the GF and that's after having an NRL game on the night before as well

AAMI park in general is the best in the country. I'd quite happily take it if they just copied the plan and built us our own version.

Have to check with flytox but I'm pretty sure when the contract states that there can't be a 'roof', they are referring to a retractable one that completely closes to block out the elements. Surely it's not that ridiculous that a grandstand can't even have a covering structure over it... That's just completely unreasonable otherwise.

Have to check with flytox but I'm pretty sure when the contract states that there can't be a 'roof', they are referring to a retractable one that completely closes to block out the elements. Surely it's not that ridiculous that a grandstand can't even have a covering structure over it... That's just completely unreasonable otherwise.

Yeah sorry I meant a retractable roof.

Yeah sorry I meant a retractable roof.

And I didn't. Cos Aami Park doesn't have one.

That bubble roof is so stupid.

It also means it can't expand doesn't it.

No.  The issue with AAMI Park is that although the footings where strengthened to be able to distribute the load of a 50k stadium to the foundation material the architectural program above the footings has been stretched to the limit to cater for 30k and effectively needs to be demolished and rebuilt to cater for 50k.  One of the issues with doing this is the length of the site being limited by a road tunnel and other roads.  The available length is 50m shorter than the length of the 52k Suncorp Stadium and cannot fit another tier of seating unless the roads are removed.  If this cannot be done then to achieve 50k capacity requires an extra 45ish rows of seating each side of the stadium which is approximately double what is there now.  The cost of expansion is prohibitive and when preliminary costings were done for our World Cup bid it was found to be cheaper to build a new stadium on a different site.

No.  The issue with AAMI Park is that although the footings where strengthened to be able to distribute the load of a 50k stadium to the foundation material the architectural program above the footings has been stretched to the limit to cater for 30k and effectively needs to be demolished and rebuilt to cater for 50k.  One of the issues with doing this is the length of the site being limited by a road tunnel and other roads.  The available length is 50m shorter than the length of the 52k Suncorp Stadium and cannot fit another tier of seating unless the roads are removed.  If this cannot be done then to achieve 50k capacity requires an extra 45ish rows of seating each side of the stadium which is approximately double what is there now.  The cost of expansion is prohibitive and when preliminary costings were done for our World Cup bid it was found to be cheaper to build a new stadium on a different site.

You're always a fountain of information, Flytox!  It's a shame they got this wrong at AAMI, but they wouldn't demolish it would they?? To me, it's the most beautiful example of modern architecture in Melbourne, in a perfect location. And a fantastic venue to experience a game.

No. The issue with AAMI Park is that although the footings where strengthened to be able to distribute the load of a 50k stadium to the foundation material the architectural program above the footings has been stretched to the limit to cater for 30k and effectively needs to be demolished and rebuilt to cater for 50k. One of the issues with doing this is the length of the site being limited by a road tunnel and other roads. The available length is 50m shorter than the length of the 52k Suncorp Stadium and cannot fit another tier of seating unless the roads are removed. If this cannot be done then to achieve 50k capacity requires an extra 45ish rows of seating each side of the stadium which is approximately double what is there now. The cost of expansion is prohibitive and when preliminary costings were done for our World Cup bid it was found to be cheaper to build a new stadium on a different site.
Interesting. Seems like they stuffed it up big time. If Victory keep up their success they're only going to keep growing, I would say that in 10 years time they will have outgrown 30k which leaves them with a big headache. With the AFL buying Etihad in the next 12 months or whenever I can't imagine they're going to be willing to share which is gonna severely limit the growth, particularly of the derby. I suppose the MCG is always there but that's too big.

You're always a fountain of information, Flytox!  It's a shame they got this wrong at AAMI, but they wouldn't demolish it tho would they?? To me, it's the most beautiful example of modern architecture in Melbourne, in such a lovely location. And a fantastic venue to experience a game.

I don't think they got it wrong with AAMI.  The site was only ever suitable for a 30k stadium.

Interesting. Seems like they stuffed it up big time. If Victory keep up their success they're only going to keep growing, I would say that in 10 years time they will have outgrown 30k which leaves them with a big headache. With the AFL buying Etihad in the next 12 months or whenever I can't imagine they're going to be willing to share which is gonna severely limit the growth, particularly of the derby. I suppose the MCG is always there but that's too big.

The statistics in Australia show that it is very difficult to get an average attendance at a stadium above 80% capacity so if that holds for Victory they aren't far off fully utilising AAMI.  In my view as soon as City become successful new fans in Melbourne will tend towards supporting them instead of Victory because of the availability of space in the stadium.