..............Mooy.

........juric......leckie

Or 4-3-3

.................Ryan

Degenek..Sainsbury...Wright...Behich

................Jedinak

.........Mooy............Luongo

...Leckie.......Juric........Troisi

Gotta say I'm really worried of Ange does the unthinkable and actually plays Grant. The opposition will be smart enough to target him. I'm even worried about Rhys Williams I mean the guy has not had a great season what happened to Mrcela? or even choose Wilkinson. I'm a little nervous about the defence

Edited by Sithslayer1991
  • 1 month later...

Well it hasn't producerd much over recent history

No viduka but i think Caletti came from there and there are a smattering of guys that have gone on.

What it does mean is that the u17s national team coach has to pick the best from around Australia instead of picking favorites from the COE (as Tony Vidmar did for the last u17 AFF and AFC tournaments)

The NYL will need a rejig as well as they were the 5th team in our conference.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my tickets and arranging all my travel arrangements to go see the Socceroos in Adelaide. Organised it so that I have a decent view of the pitch (Eastern Stand), plus am heading in with a big mob of relos. Throw in the visit the next day to the West End Brewery, maybe a visit to a local NPL match and the chance to return home with a boot filled with SA beer & wine & mettwurst, I'm a happy camper

Seems like something tha both player and the NT would benefit from 

Few strikers in the German Bundesliga had a worse conversion rate than Matthew Leckie this season, but that hasn't stopped other clubs from queuing up for his signature, with pen in hand and their chequebooks open.

The Australian international forward has at least two big clubs hovering over his head - despite failing to put any of his 46 shots on goal into the net this season as his club Ingolstadt suffered relegation to the second division. FC Koln and Hertha Berlin are reportedly leading the race for the 26-year-old forward when the transfer window opens in the European summer and neither are put off by his unenviable goal ratio or his relegation release clause of approximately $5.2 million.

According to German media, Koln are considered the frontrunners and, if "The Billy Goats" get their way, that sum will be an investment for what could be a rewarding renovation job.

Leckie played six games at centre forward this season, 21 on the wing - but that could be the last time we see the Australian in the forward line for some time, with Koln looking to turn Leckie into a fullback, according to German reports.

Hertha Berlin reportedly see his future further from goal as well. Fairfax Media understands Leckie is set to re-skill and drop into the defensive line and will likely accept the chance to remain in the Bundesliga with a significantly bigger club, even if it means the end of his attacking days.

There is also a big push within Australia to begin Leckie's transition into a mobile fullback, with sources close to the player suggesting he's targeting becoming one of the country's best-ever wing backs.

Socceroos' coach Ange Postecoglou has acknowledged nearly as much, with his new-look back three formation one that will require Leckie to operate more as a wing back than an out-and-out forward. It's a role he will likely retain for the upcoming qualifier against Saudi Arabia, friendly against Brazil and upcoming Confederations Cup in Russia all next month. Sydney FC's Rhyan Grant is the man most likely to challenge Leckie for that role.

Leckie's transition is one that could rid one of Australia's brightest prospects from a barrage of criticism over his finishing, though Leckie eased the pressure with the national team, having scored twice in his last two games.

His conversion rate in Germany hasn't gone unnoticed, but nor has his pace, agility and work rate. It's earned him the nickname "Rakete" (Rocket). He regularly hits speeds of 35km/h when in full-flight sprinting down the flanks and it's that velocity that raises his chances of not only remaining in the Bundesliga next season, but also of earning a lucrative move to a bigger club.

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

despite failing to put any of his 46 shots on goal into the net this season

Lol. As soon as I read this I thought "they should just turn him into a fullback."

I'm surprised it's taken this long, his finishing and decision-making in the front third is horrible.

4 hours ago, mack said:

The Australian National Team right fullback is going to be either Rhyan Grant or Matt Leckie.

We're screwed.

Has Leckie ever looked even remotely decent as a defender?

He'd better off switching to AFL where everyone is fast but can't shoot.

In the modern game right backs do not defend they just have to  have a huge engine . 

Leckie will be the best right back Australian football has ever had , it is destiny .

Sotirio will be the best right back WSW has ever had ,  and when leckie retires he will be the 2nd best Australian right back of all time . 

Anyone that hasn't figured this out already has no idea . 

1 hour ago, TheSweeper said:

In the modern game right backs do not defend they just have to  have a huge engine . 

Leckie will be the best right back Australian football has ever had , it is destiny .

Sotirio will be the best right back WSW has ever had ,  and when leckie retires he will be the 2nd best Australian right back of all time . 

Anyone that hasn't figured this out already has no idea . 

No chance of that happening.

Popa will play Soririo as an inverted Left Wing Back to harness his strengths

Can't really argue with the squad announced, except for Grant's presence obviously. I think Santa deserves to be in there but you can understand why he went with McLaren.

What you can't explain, however, is how Birighitti gets in ahead of Brad Jones who just won the ******* Eredivisie! I know it's unlikely to matter either way, but he must hate Jones.

On 18/05/2017 at 11:48 PM, Paul01 said:

That experimental German team looks bloody strong.

Young, not as experienced, but one would hope for the Socceroos sake that the Germans won't gel/care too much. 

There have been calls for quite some time to give the first grade players a break. A Thomas Mueller for example has played eight years without injury, and this year it showed. Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Schweinsteiger - their bodies felt the strain and drain.