David Squires Cartoons

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Funny..but also remarkably close to the truth of that day :lol:

Love the frame of the gulls looking up at the ball :lol:

He has such a gift in bringing his drawings to life!! The seagulls have so much personality:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, sonar said:

Really gives it to Cancar here.......

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/picture/2024/apr/12/david-squires-a-league-cartoon-robert-mak-red-card-suspension

.....makes we wonder if he is a smurf fan. Ngbakoto got red carded against the smurfs for the same thing.

:D

Others on here have mentioned he is.

Slater gave a serve on Back Page the other night, and gave the panel the opening to laugh at the ludicrous decisions in soccah.

Trouble is, whenever you touch the head or face, it has been established that is a red, regardless of how hard... I have no problem with the red. Don't touch, flick, hit... anyone in the face. Simple.

According to IFAB “In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.”

He struck Cancar’s face with his arm, and knew where he was so the contact could be considered deliberate. My understanding of “negligible” force is if they were to give them a pat on the cheek or something similarly innocuous. If it’s aggressive or a striking motion they’re not going to consider it negligible.

Cancar made a meal of it, but per the letter of the law I can see how they upheld the red.