Football Marketing/PR Thread

Their twitter account has pretty been non existent over the past few days, besides just RT'ing stuff from other clubs. Maybe 'they know' that the game will sell out on Sunday? They think it will generate the excitement itself???

I think they're just lazy and don't care. 

Their twitter account has pretty been non existent over the past few days, besides just RT'ing stuff from other clubs. Maybe 'they know' that the game will sell out on Sunday? They think it will generate the excitement itself???

I think they're just lazy and don't care.

If us rusted on/obsessed/fantatical members are feeling like this, then how would the general public feel about these games? How would the casual football fan that needs a bit or marketing, PR or MSM coverage to let them know about the game or at least interested be feeling about these games?

To be fair.. sunday's game should have sold out already. 18k members, plus woder interest by word of mouth potentially plis gf qualifier, etc etc. Thats a qn more about some of our fans, plus the ticketing debacle that makes it impossible to know whether its sold out or not sold out.

However, to not even market to finals is a disgrace. Turn tv on and watch half empty eggball stadium vs pumping vibe of finals football.. nobody would know.

Captain Jess, help me out here...

The build up to this week's semi final has been minimal, I know the FFA have pretty much zero marketing budget left but could be done differently to help build up the coverage/excitement/tension leading into this weekend's games?

Yeah it's really disappointing. I personally think everyone's feeling a bit lacklustre because of the lack of hype.

I can see why the FFA wouldn't bother throwing any money at ticket sales this week. Both venues were always going to sell out without it. No point wasting money on "traditional marketing".

I think this is more a lack of PR more so than marketing. If you look at finals weeks in other codes, there are stories all over the media leading up to games. Stories on players, coaches etc. You can't escape it. That's all good PR.

There will always be some media interest by virtue of it being the finals. However as a media team, you need to be proactive as well. As a rule, all publications and stations are usually desperate for content. They love it even more when you spood feed them stuff so they don't actually need to do any work coming up with a story.

My organisation do it around all our big events. We call up regional networks and papers with stories on people from their particular area. We provide everything they need like photos, replays etc. We also go so far as to actually write stories for them sometimes so all they need to do is publish. Again, the less work for them the better.

If I was doing the PR, I would be teeing up players and/or coaches every day to go on radio. Stations like Triple M, Sky Sports Radio, SEN down in Melbourne. I'd be doing the same TV wise. I'd be setting up press conferences and interviews. Getting players on things like the Back Page, Offsiders, Sunrise, Today etc.

I'd also be hyping stories to all the newspapers. You've got some amazing stories like Fornaroli, Santa, all the Spanish players, Adelaide coming from the bottom of the table, all the Wanderers success in only four years. You need to get them writing about these things.

With the media contacts the FFA have, this should be more than easy. They also have a great opportunity for wide spread coverage across the country given the fact the four teams left are from four separate states.

As an organisation, you can have some control over the conversation going on in the MSM. You just have to want to do it. It's a rolling thing too. The more the MSM talk about it, the more the public will talk about, then the MSM will talk about it even more if there's lots of engagement. This will all in turn help social media engagement too which is also important.

It's not hard by any means. It just takes some effort.

Great post Jess  :good:

If I was doing the PR, I would be teeing up players and/or coaches every day to go on radio. Stations like Triple M, Sky Sports Radio, SEN down in Melbourne. I'd be doing the same TV wise. I'd be setting up press conferences and interviews. Getting players on things like the Back Page, Offsiders, Sunrise, Today etc.

I'd also be hyping stories to all the newspapers. You've got some amazing stories like Fornaroli, Santa, all the Spanish players, Adelaide coming from the bottom of the table, all the Wanderers success in only four years. You need to get them writing about these things.

100% this. This season has been full of tales like the Adelaide comeback and the amazing performances by Fornaroli among other things. There really is a lack of engagement with some of the more quality players that we have with the media. Fornaroli is the one that really sticks out for me, but we also have people like Maclaren, Santa, Mooy, Castro etc. that really should be appearing more in the media. Same with the coaches, especially Popa and Amor. Loads of opportunities that the FFA could latch on but haven't.

How much can the lack of advertisement be attributed to the lack of budget? We all know the FFA is incompetent but with such short funds it would be difficult for any association to manage the marketing stuff well.

There's a difference between "advertising" and "marketing" and PR.

Your traditional stuff like newspaper, radio and TV ads obviously cost money but for a short-term campaign around finals, it honestly wouldn't break the bank. They could do it.

But PR and media coverage doesn't have to cost you a cent. And if done right, has more impact than your traditional marketing. You just need a good PR team or out source to an agency.

There's no excuse for not getting as much MSM attention as possible. It's not hard.

Jess you are on point :good:

Someone in the FFA please hire her to whip the marketing department into shape!

Just because it's not on the front page doesn't mean it's not there.

I count 5 articles on WSW in the last 24 hours in the SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer). All positive including one by Cockerill of all people!

Fantastic but where has that been all week? As in the other thread, it's only when you flick about 5-10 pages back through the sports section that you found the articles. It needed to be a week long build up not an explosion of articles on Saturday
  • 2 weeks later...

All about visitors and page views.

Thats how we make money in the digital marketing field.

I've done a lot of galleries.

Well stop it!

Blame the advertisers. They continue to put emphasis on that.

But in saying that, HAL is taking things to new levels with galleries. I haven't seen anyone use it as much as them, now even media releases / interviews are being delivered in this matter.

That JT interview example is horrible.

• 3 months later...