The Inner West Wanderers Hipster Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'll make an effort

Also we should organise a inner west pub for away games.

Any ideas where they will but the a league on and not the AFL which seems to be fashionable amongst the newer inner west types

Gonna be having a pre game drink with Alexander at the Railway Hotel in Lidcombe around 6:15 if any fellow IWHs are keen to join.

Royal Oak is where it's at :drinks:

Much closer to the lift at Station also

That's been my usual pregame this season, it's good

Cheap cold beer, and football on the TV

• 1 month later...

In good news

The Lansdowne seems to be opening up again, that's one from the past

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/live-music-returns-to-the-iconic-lansdowne-hotel-defying-sydney-lockouts-20170411-gvj62q.html

Bad news newtown social is being turned into a mini golf bar

Came in here to post that. Band room will be upstairs and hold 250. Bookings by the Rule brothers from The Annandale. Disappointing to see NSC go, but this may be a suitable replacement. It'll be hipsterfied, but at least it's a live music venue.

I miss the Annandale. I can't think of a better gig than You Am I tearing up the Annandale

Good to see Rule brothers involved, I think they book Vic on the Park too.

Shame about NSC, was a good room seen some great shows there

Good to see the Lansdowne back, the kids need a proper ******* band pub to hang out at. Seeing local bands at uni bars themselves would be best, but this is the next best option.

Not sure if this has been posted, but it does a great job of evoking the feelings of the time pre-NSC. Loved a good Front End Loader gig. 

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/the-wonder-years-of-the-sandringham-hotel

I can't think of a better gig than You Am I tearing up the Annandale

You weren't at uni in the 90s if you didn't see Rogers windmilling it at a small gig. I remember one epic one at Macquarie Uni, **** they tore it up. Sound As Ever - what a riff.

Long necks on king street was how I spent many a Friday or Saturday night. :lol:

The thing that ALWAYS pissedme off about the whole late 90s pokies witch-hunt was why none of the dickheads in a whitlams shirt had ever set foot in a dive to see any real local bands (i generalise of course). If they weren't too busy listening to triple j they might have helped things a bit. But even then - some of the best live shows i ever saw were in warehouses or living rooms or outside or in a pub with (shock horror) a pokies room AND a stage. Or a corner. Pokies never killed live music here. Triple j just killed a truly local culture - and then all talk pre-hipsters did **** all to rescue it.

Long necks on king street was how I spent many a Friday or Saturday night. :lol:

The thing that ALWAYS pissedme off about the whole late 90s pokies witch-hunt was why none of the dickheads in a whitlams shirt had ever set foot in a dive to see any real local bands (i generalise of course). If they weren't too busy listening to triple j they might have helped things a bit. But even then - some of the best live shows i ever saw were in warehouses or living rooms or outside or in a pub with (shock horror) a pokies room AND a stage. Or a corner. Pokies never killed live music here. Triple j just killed a truly local culture - and then all talk pre-hipsters did **** all to rescue it.

The second death of the annandale came from lack of a late license and having to spend a truckload fighting off the council due to nosie complaints from people who had just bought new apartments next to a pub or lived so far away they couldn't hear it but complained anyway.

Yeah, I remember. I was loading a van once and got yelled at by one of them. :lol:

Thing is, it needn't be a big deal. If there was a market a new place would open to serve the need. The reason these places shut down was never pokies. It was nobody going, and not one ****er in a whitlams t-shirt attempting to find another solution or support any kind of scene.

(Just enjoying getting my rant on apologies to any passers by).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hey fella's, any good pubs Ashfield way on Saturday afternoon to watch WSW away? My friend has his engagement that afternoon (such poor form but what can you do??).

Yep, pretty much.

The Crocodile Farm they did up but I don't remember what screens they had (not many though).

You could go to Wests of course.

Or hop down to the Summer Hill, they will have it on. Kitchen's alright there if you are after a feed.

information may be a few years out of date