FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

I'd be curious to know whom the forum would employ into the role?

There's an entire world of football people.

Ask around the Bundesliga & DFB and see if any of their top people want to come to Australia and be promoted to running a Federation. Ask around Japan or the USA and do the same thing.

Someone from Germany would be ideal. I'm recalling this from memory but in DFB does the youth scouting, when they find talent they alert the local club.

nah man, japan is the go. what that country did for football over there in 20 years is more than anything done in australian football in 100.

check this out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.League_100_Year_Plan_club_status

Ask around the Bundesliga & DFB and see if any of their top people want to come to Australia and be promoted to running a Federation. Ask around Japan or the USA and do the same thing.

Someone from Germany would be ideal. I'm recalling this from memory but in DFB does the youth scouting, when they find talent they alert the local club.

nah man, japan is the go. what that country did for football over there in 20 years is more than anything done in australian football in 100.

check this out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.League_100_Year_Plan_club_status

Wow! You could wait another 100 years and Gallop still couldn't come up anything close to it.

Its amazing what you can do when total club revenue is 10 times what it is here and the even J2 revenue is over 3 times what it is here and those figures are before factoring in their latest broadcast deal.

Its amazing what you can do when total club revenue is 10 times what it is here and the even J2 revenue is over 3 times what it is here and those figures are before factoring in their latest broadcast deal.
OK, so why is revenue lower here than in Japan? And what could the FFAil have done to increase it?

Lots. It may not have equaled Japan, but if they got off their arse to do something, it surely would be a lot closer than what it is today.

How about insread of stifling active support which is supposed to "power the game", support it and let it grow which would bring in more people and more revenue. Look at the Japanese clubs' active support - they're sensational!

How about marketing and promoting our game? Or at least standing up to and rebutting journalists who spew cr@p about it in the media? Look how much the NRL and the AFL market their game.

How about not ruining our product by idiotic scheduling of HAL games around international and ACL games? Or playing in stadiums a day after a rugby game cut it up?

The list is endless. The gap between the two countries shouldn't be as big as it is if the FFAil were doing their job properly.

Some good thought provoking reading in this thread.

I think that pressure will mount after whats happened this week with the no expansion yet message and the floggings in the ACL. I did read that they will consider scheduling next year, so thats a plus, but given you dont know the ACL draw until half way through the season will be a challenge.

As far as running the sport, it needs to be some one that understand the challenges of running a game that inst number 1 in the country. Has to be an Aussie with football back ground next in my view.

Some good thought provoking reading in this thread.

I think that pressure will mount after whats happened this week with the no expansion yet message and the floggings in the ACL. I did read that they will consider scheduling next year, so thats a plus, but given you dont know the ACL draw until half way through the season will be a challenge.

As far as running the sport, it needs to be some one that understand the challenges of running a game that inst number 1 in the country. Has to be an Aussie with football back ground next in my view.

john didulica is man to replace David Gallop.

Former NSL player.

Former Melbourne Heart official

Former FFA employee.

Current CEO of the PFA.

You were doing alright until that last line...

You were doing it all wrong until the last line.
The first 3 were acceptable in that they have some connection to football. Which instantly beats Gallop.
Tell me why experience as head of the Professional Footballers Association is a disqualification.

He just came up with the new strategy for 60 professional Australian female footballers.

I'm trying to think of the positives that the FFA have achieved in the last 12 months. This is all I have come up with:

- New A-League logo; and

- New 4+1 visa player rules. 

I'd say the TV deal would be a positive but it's diabolical at a measly $346m over 6 years. 

And even the positives can be picked apart.

The new logo was released midweek, two thirds of the way through the season with zero fanfare or promotion, with Gallop saying "This is the perfect time to update our look". They also claimed that "for the first time in Australian sport, the brand of a professional league will become fluid an incorporate the colours of clubs competing as part of the league", ignoring the fact that the rugby league did it with Superleague years ago and that the idea is basically a direct copy of what they've previously done in America. They also made the youth league logo identical to the A-League one and the W-League an orangy-red as opposed to a redish-orange.

I'm trying to think of the positives that the FFA have achieved in the last 12 months. This is all I have come up with:

- New A-League logo; and

- New 4+1 visa player rules. 

I'd say the TV deal would be a positive but it's diabolical at a measly $346m over 6 years. 

And even the positives can be picked apart.

The new logo was released midweek, two thirds of the way through the season with zero fanfare or promotion, with Gallop saying "This is the perfect time to update our look". They also claimed that "for the first time in Australian sport, the brand of a professional league will become fluid an incorporate the colours of clubs competing as part of the league", ignoring the fact that the rugby league did it with Superleague years ago and that the idea is basically a direct copy of what they've previously done in America. They also made the youth league logo identical to the A-League one and the W-League an orangy-red as opposed to a redish-orange.

Very good point!

The first 3 were acceptable in that they have some connection to football. Which instantly beats Gallop.
Tell me why experience as head of the Professional Footballers Association is a disqualification.

He just came up with the new strategy for 60 professional Australian female footballers.

Look, it isn't a disqualification but neither would I say it is an automatic box tick for the what is essentially a corporate role (whether we like it or not). The drama with the CBA left a bit of a bad taste. My opinion (which may or not be based in fact) was that the PFA would have sent more than 1 club to the wall in search of terms they found acceptable. I think the W League was a big plus, and I acknowledge that. Eminently more suitable than DG for sure.

Every PFA strategy involves throwing millions upon millions more dollars directly at the players only.

Every PFA strategy involves throwing millions upon millions more dollars directly at the players only.
Ok on that. But at least he has a football pedigree which is more than can be said of Gallop

Here's another failure.

Just saw a slick ad for AusKick (AFL).

Where's the slick ads for MiniRoos and football in general

The PFA have no concept of anyone else around them. They're patting themselves on the back for securing a 30% increase of the new tv deal which is leaving hardly any money in the kitty for the rest.

Its an interesting thread .... while a lot of whats said is true to varying degrees its equally true not every single problem facing Football today is the fault of the FFA..

Just hang with me for a few lines I also have issues with FFA....

Inept and hopeless  is how many strongly argue FFA is. Yet  today we enjoy media we could ever only dream about even 4 years ago, revenues of 102 million last year and expected to grow to between 130 and 150 million soon. Further at least 14 bids maybe more to get in.

What we do by lumping the cause of all our issues at the feet of Gallop we mask faults others make.

Hand on heart not the other thing does anybody believe only FFA have ****ed up.

I also doubt there is a one size fits all fix like P & R as some argue .

FFA identified a massive issue in 2014 and have done little to correct it.

Revenue or more revenue will solve many issues .... revenue will come with ratings ... ratings to improve have needed a connection and marketing to the district associations  ... IMO the single issue that will increase ratings is talking directly to the local park teams, their committees and their regional associations. 

The mantra everything FFA do and say is flawed...is way to simplest... many issues raised have two sides and I ask again in every single issue have FFA been 100% wrong and the answer IMO is no.

By ignoring problems other cause will result in the same mistakes happening again. 

We certainly need new structures but we need to get them right 

Edited by Midfielder

"We could've only dreamed of this X amount of years ago" is the go-to excuse in Australian football to sugar coat poor outcomes and make ourselves feel better about mediocrity.

Yep.

Just because things are better than they were does not mean the FFA have been successful. A blind monkey could have achieved most of what they have given the inherent leg-up from Uncy Frank and the government.

Their inability to plan for the future is killing the league. It's 4 months since they announced they would be delivering a criteria for expansion and talking up 16 teams etc, and only now they've realised the model is wrong. Gallop in particular has been asleep at the wheel for so long he must be on medication.

Timmy was right - #novision - it's just that his solution - #payme - was wrong.

"We could've only dreamed of this X amount of years ago" is the go-to excuse in Australian football to sugar coat poor outcomes and make ourselves feel better about mediocrity.

Yep.

Just because things are better than they were does not mean the FFA have been successful. A blind monkey could have achieved most of what they have given the inherent leg-up from Uncy Frank and the government.

Their inability to plan for the future is killing the league. It's 4 months since they announced they would be delivering a criteria for expansion and talking up 16 teams etc, and only now they've realised the model is wrong. Gallop in particular has been asleep at the wheel for so long he must be on medication.

Timmy was right - #novision - it's just that his solution - #payme - was wrong.

Both are very easy to say and to say a blind monkey could have achieved what they have done IMO is beyond silly nay its stupid. 

I am in no way trying to make excuses for FFA they have ****ed up badly on a number of issues ..

Equally they have done some excellent things.

A client of mine many years ago told me a line I have never forgotten .. he said ... you take a brick and float it in the river ... it went on and a house would be built down stream.. Issue was the assumption the brick would float in water was flawed ...

If the answers to Footballs challenges were as simple as many make out someone or some group over the last 60 years would have worked it out.

People on forums state as fact many assumptions they make as if what they are saying has no chance of being wrong..

I still maintain many groups i.e clubs, media, broadcasters associations have all contributed to errors of judgement.

So if by saying its not all the fault of FFA makes me  In symphony an apologise for to the dictatorship  is IMO not wanting to face simple facts....  

Not every thing FFA say and everything they do is wrong.... others have also made mistakes ...

I say the  new structures need careful consideration, and all stakeholders involved including fan groups to determine the best way forward.... shouting slogans is both foolish and lets those who have made some huge errors escape and we run the risk of remaking those errors.

FFA under Gallop made a huge mistake in their TV negotiations in opening up the expansion debate with no clear plan to move forward on how they would manage expansion. It was as I see it a negotiation tactic in the media deal.... Issue was it has taken off .... everyone grabbed the chance to join... I don't think FFA expected this and they have been caught totally out and off guard ... this is and has been a massive error ... it looks like they are trying to correct it ... 

So I accept and don't try to excuse what errors they have made ... equally to ignore were we are today and the health of the sport and were we are headed could not have been achieved by a management team as inept and incompetent as many make out.

In truth we need new leadership and I don't think either Gallop nor Lowy will be reappointed when their contracts run out ... however to lay the blame of every single issue as 100% their fault is beyond crazy IMO. 

Timmy was right - #novision - it's just that his solution - #payme - was wrong

Bt3000 - post of the year contender there, i was on the floor for good 30 seconds

Midfielder frank lowy still runs the ffa from his bedroom.

He did the game a favour and 'saved' it when no one else would, but he refuses to let go we need someone to save it again.

The FFA are a cluster of fools. They make (attempted) grand announcements with little to no detail (thought?) then change direction shortly after. It's a ridiculous way to run ANY organisation and shows a complete lack of purpose and vision.

Sure, others in the football world make mistakes but the FFA get paid great money to sort **** out but they don't. They can't.

I shudder to think how much this organisational elephant man spends on consultancy and red tape.

FFA spend over $23 million a year on staff wages. Keep that in mind when giving them a pass on anything.

Really??

Man the last place I worked for a long stretch was a few mill less than that and had like 250 staff, and did a LOT more than the FFA. A LOT MORE. Like writing about 50 curricula for doctors. Fifty. Compared to one.

• mack locked this topic