Squad Development 2017/18

Realistically Baccus is an 'NPL Pickup' having played for Blacktown City after he tried his luck in France. I had written him off as an A League regular prior to his airport altercation but he improved significantly following that incident. Towards the end of the season he maintained that level of energy but ball security dropped off. IMHO he needs another season at the Wanderers before trying his luck elsewhere (Europe?) as there is still improvement required.

He's a Western Sydney youth product but not a Wanderers one !!

13 hours ago, BenchRiotSquad said:

Not sure where his body is at and that will be the telling factor with wage offers I reckon. Last couple of runs for Ange have not looked 

34 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I look forward to mistaken identity and them each getting a yellow instead of 1 getting 2 yellows

Joined by Abraham Majok

Please, no Robbie Kruse! He is still a wimp and a waste of time. If he maintains his spot in the Socceroos it is because Ange doesn't haven't the guts to try someone new.

Our club deserves someone bigger and better than Robbie Kruse. Signing him would be little better than the signing of Griffiths in the just concluded season.

I'd take the risk on Robbie Kruse if we as a club hadn't tried so many risks/experiments before. I think Popovic needs to invest in a tried and true solution.

I feel bad for Kruse - going to China was the wrong move. He'd be better off back at Fortuna (:xnod:) than in the CSL. Had a great time there and obviously impressed enough to be picked up by Bayer. I hope it turns around for him in a world cup year. I see Victory picking him up. 

I'm shocked ;)

Abraham Majok signs Hyundai A-League deal

Majok

1/1

Abraham Majok has signed with the Hyundai A-League side for the next two seasons

Friday, 19 May 2017 -

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today announced the signing of striker Abraham Majok for the next two Hyundai A-League seasons.

The Blacktown local will make the step up from the Wanderers’ Foxtel National Youth League/Playstation 4 NPL 2 sides having first donned the Red & Black in the Foxtel National Youth League 2016/17 season after stints at Spirit FC and Mt Druitt Town Rangers.

The 18-year-old made one Hyundai A-League appearance this past season, as well as taking to the field twice in the AFC Champions League.

Majok

It marks another chapter in what has been an incredible journey for the teen, who was born in a refugee camp in Kenya to South Sudanese parents and first came to Australia as a five-year-old.

Majok says inking his first professional contract is one of his proudest ever moments.

“It means everything to be honest,” Majok said.

Majok

“I’ve wanted this for so long and for it to finally happen is just a dream come true. I couldn’t be any more grateful than I am.

“I count it as a blessing. For me to jump from where I was playing to being here, I’m really grateful for that and I thank my family for pushing me and for giving me this opportunity that I have today."

Majok is signed on as a Scholarship Player.

NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers contracted Hyundai A-League squad:

Goalkeepers: Vedran Janjetovic, Jerrad Tyson
Defenders: Jonathan Aspropotamitis, Keanu Baccus, Jackson Bandiera (Scholarship Player), Aritz Borda, Jack Clisby, Robert Cornthwaite, Brendan Hamill, Josh Risdon, Michael Thwaite 
Midfielders: Roly Bonevacia, Steven Lustica, Jacob Melling 
Attackers: Jumpei Kusukami, Abraham Majok (Scholarship Player), Brendon Santalab, Lachlan Scott, Jaushua Sotirio

1 hour ago, spectacular291 said:

I'd take the risk on Robbie Kruse if we as a club hadn't tried so many risks/experiments before. I think Popovic needs to invest in a tried and true solution.

I feel bad for Kruse 

Good point re: risk. We need some definitive quality in the front third and, while Kruse has that when fit, he always seems to be returning from injury and takes a while to get his confidence back.

I don't feel bad for him, however. He's had a stop-start career because of injury and he chooses to go to Asia to a club with a record of not paying wages. Stupid. He more than anyone should be picking a stable club, especially one that knows how to look after their players' bodies. We'd be a good fit for him but not sure if he'd be good for us.

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

If Borda agrees to move on, I suspect we sign Nebojša Marinković  

Beats random rumours of random South Americans substantiated with random youtube videos

Read today smurfs are also looking to use the 'Vision rule' next season. Quite prepared to spend big on a guest marquee. Make no mistake we have to match them in the dollar stakes next year too. Can't let them run away with it again. I'm hoping we can have a strong aussie contingent., excellent visa players AND a guest marquee.

Over to you JT & Big Paul. .

Edited by beatsurrender
1 hour ago, beatsurrender said:

Why was Baro released? I didn't take much notice of them/him during the season, but I thought he stood up in the Grand Final. What's his issue? Not consistent? Asking too much coin? 

I think Khalfalla would run riot for us.

I think he's the type of player who might  thrive under a stricter manager like Popa.

I'd take him on board.

Tunisian international and played for Bordeaux in the top flight in France.

I also like that he has a bit of mongrel about him.

Edited by WanderingToqui
Add more

I've no idea if he's still a player that's of interest to WSW but given that you've been in for him the past 2 transfer windows I thought I'd mention that's it's reported that (to the surprise of no one over here) Scott McDonald's indicated he won't be taking up a contract option with Motherwell next season. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdonald-quits-motherwell-only-10450142

The reporting there is pretty sensationalist and suggests he's "quitting" the club truth is he's out of contract and him not taking up the option isn't in any way unexpected especially after WSW's interest in the January window. He's contributed hugely to MFC (75 goals in 219 appearances) and has been a massive influence on the side over the past couple of seasons and kept us safe from the relegation play-off this year.

It was clear to everyone that he'd been asked by the club to see out his deal then he'd be free to move and if he does end up over in the A-League with you guys he'll go with pretty much every Motherwell fan's best wishes I'd have thought.

All the best for the coming season guys.

20 minutes ago, mack said:

We're looking at an un-named La Liga forward, so McDonal would be a 'backup' option if that potential deal falls through.

Rodri looks good with contract expiring. Currently team mate of Piovacarri at Cordoba.

Stats 12 goals in 39 games this season plus 2 assists.

Edited by Paul01
Added info
Celtic-v-Motherwell-Ladbrokes-Scottish-P

Australian striker Scott McDonald is set to leave Scottish Premier League club Motherwell, according to the Daily Record.

Thirty-three-year-old McDonald had a one-year contract extension embedded into his contract, but the Daily Record‘s report indicates he has opted not to activate that clause.

McDonald’s exit will make him a free agent in the forthcoming transfer window.

McDonald has played an important role for the Steelmen in the 2016-17, helping them stave off relegation.

McDonald was close to moving back to Australia with Western Sydney Wanderers earlier in the A-League season, but the move fell apart.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic