Football Media Discussion 2

7 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Good read looks like its gonna be a interesting series.

I think football suffers from two main areas that are unique to football that is infastructure and investment. 

We do well at the local levels because the need for infastructure is low, really its just goalposts and park areas. As the game moves higher up the ladder we start to struggle and in the end we need to use the infastruture of rugby.  I think this is partly because we came late to the game, NRL, AFL and cricket  were able to build these in the "good old days" when buying and building were much, much cheaper.  We're just coming into itprobably at the worst time to build infrastructure.  I hope in the future all the clubs will own their own boutique stadiums, we need to have a different concept of the game than AFL and NRL.  

Right now I dont think we have the intelligence in the FFA ranks to create a successful system.  The governemnt doesn't seem interested in investing anything into the game partly I suspect this is because of the 35mil wasted on the WC bid and fallout with Lowy.  We need significant investment and shouldn't be afraid of seeking it from overseas. 

19 hours ago, wengerboy said:

Good read looks like its gonna be a interesting series.

I think football suffers from two main areas that are unique to football that is infastructure and investment. 

We do well at the local levels because the need for infastructure is low, really its just goalposts and park areas. As the game moves higher up the ladder we start to struggle and in the end we need to use the infastruture of rugby.  I think this is partly because we came late to the game, NRL, AFL and cricket  were able to build these in the "good old days" when buying and building were much, much cheaper.  We're just coming into it probably at the worst time to build infrastructure.  I hope in the future all the clubs will own their own boutique stadiums, we need to have a different concept of the game than AFL and NRL.  

Right now I dont think we have the intelligence in the FFA ranks to create a successful system.  The governemnt doesn't seem interested in investing anything into the game partly I suspect this is because of the 35mil wasted on the WC bid and fallout with Lowy.  We need significant investment and shouldn't be afraid of seeking it from overseas. 

In the "good old days" much like today, I think you'll find that none of those administrations or teams affiliated to them built their own stadiums, bar maybe 1 or 2. They used public land and public funds back then and more so today.

In the NSL, there were a handful of teams that did build their own stadiums but alas, even back then the cost was too great as it was generally the members that put their hands in their pockets or it was a rich benefactor.

It would be great to have our own boutique stadiums but you're right, the government won't invest but I doubt it has anything to do with the money that was given to the WC bid. NRL and AFL have wasted far more tax payer money and they are still getting millions of dollars in handouts. All you have to do is read up on what money the AFL is getting for stadiums in Victoria and what they are asking the government for with regards to docklands, princess park and other grounds. Unbelievable waste.

Football just has a sh*t lobby group unlike the AFL and to some degree the NRL.

Lastly, I very much doubt the government will allow private investors to build a new stadium or stadiums unless of course it doesn't interfere with existing stadiums and whatever agreements are in place. We saw all the crap come out about Parramatta stadium due to agreements with Stadium Australia but who knows. If there are potential investors and they grease the palms of the politicians, anything is possible. 

yes, definitely. as long as they're smart and build the new stadiums with the ability to be upgraded in the future relatively easily and cheaply. be also great if they could do their own ticketing and avoid the crap that is ticketek and ticketmaster.

Edited by theguyyouwishyouwere

The US approach has been bigger, simply due to larger population centres and more money. Here, there's nothing wrong with somebody like Melbourne City having a basic 10,000 stadium in the south-east of Melbourne. Or Brisbane with one that holds 12,000... or something like that. Have them in areas where expansion can be made to at least 20,000. We're always obsessed with attendances, but I'd rather see 10,000 sold out every week than average 12,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium.

2 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

yes, definitely. as long as they're smart and build the new stadiums with the ability to be upgraded in the future relatively easily and cheaply. be also great if they could do their own ticketing and avoid the crap that is ticketek and ticketmaster.

I don't think anyone around the world does their own ticketing. It just wouldn't be cost effective, these functions are nearly always outsourced otherwise you need staff constantly on hand to deal with queries, maintain your own DB etc

Boutique stadiums would be great. Maybe there are some around already that could be upgraded. Unfortunately land in Oz is so prohibitive and building costs astronomical. CCM apparently are tying to buy theirs off the council but for some reason this doesn't seem to be progressing at all.

Edited by beatsurrender
4 hours ago, Gazmon said:

Question is for me, would we rather some A-League teams try and build grounds like Hindmarsh, or even smaller and have them for ourselves? Sacrifice crowds of around 15,000+ for stadiums of 8-10,000?

Wellington, Jets, Newcastle, Mariners & Perth (I'd include City in this but they want to play at AAMI Park no matter the cost or how stupid it looks) would be better off in their own stadium around 10k to 12.5k if it would improve their financial situation. Adelaide could use a similar sized stadium, but one they own.

It won't happen though. Unlike AFL with things like the gifting of the Gold Coast stadium, or GWS getting multiple stadiums & training facilities built for them, the FFA are awful at lobbying, and I wouldn't be surprised if our new stadium (which probably doesn't happen if we don't have an NRL team who also play there) is the only major investment into the A-League in the next decade.

12 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

I don't think anyone around the world does their own ticketing. It just wouldn't be cost effective, these functions are nearly always outsourced otherwise you need staff constantly on hand to deal with queries, maintain your own DB etc

Boutique stadiums would be great. Maybe there are some around already that could be upgraded. Unfortunately land in Oz is so prohibitive and building costs astronomical. CCM apparently are tying to buy theirs off the council but for some reason this doesn't seem to be progressing at all.

I don't think they got anywhere with trying to buy it. I read an article the other day about Charlesworth buying the remaining share of CCM to own all 100% and there was mention of lobbying for a greater value rent deal. The whole thing went very quiet after they announced their intentions. Who knows what's happening?

Charlesworth wants to own the ground so that if/when he sells the club itself, he can retain the rights to the ground and make money without having to do anything. Owning their training ground/COE is the same angle with a different set of assets. He won't get the ground because the Council aren't going to give it to him for free.

They could have made the COE stadium a decent small venue for Mariners games... except that's backed right up next to a sewage facility. Not sure that'll get the little kids wanting to go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/19/wanderers-club-not-doing-enough-to-fight-homophobia-matildas-striker-says

Michelle Heyman says the continued online display of the fan group’s offensive banner ‘kind of breaks my heart’

The failure of Western Sydney Wanderers to tackle online homophobic material among fans is “a joke”, Matildas striker Michelle Heyman has said, as images of an offensive banner continue to be shared from the club’s supporters’ social media accounts.

The banner’s resurgence online “kind of breaks my heart”, Heyman said.
At the inaugural Pride in Sport awards on Friday, the vice-captain of the Australian women’s cricket team, Alex Blackwell, called on sponsors and football’s governing body to be tougher on homophobia.

It needed “action not words”, she told Guardian Australia.

Blackwell called on the club to do more to combat homophobia and said it was up to its sponsors, such as the NRMA and National Australia Bank, to demand greater action.

The AFL won most of Friday’s Pride awards, including sport organisation of the year. Former player Jason Ball won best out role model, and St Kilda won most inclusive club. Rugby union player David Pocock won the ally of the year award.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE ARTICLE.

Heyman said that while the FFA had always supported her, they could learn from the AFL.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Be more like the AFL.

Capture.PNG.8b2057981bcc596e7a8893549fa08115.PNG

The AFL will now find the pictures of the bananas offensive as It is a representation of the male reproductive organ and by posting them in a public forum you are suggesting all people who follow the AFL are a bunch of yellow d*cks.

'll write to the wanderers and ask them to have all images of bananas removed from the internet.

Brisbane Roar legend Thomas Broich reflects on his A-League career

AFTER seven glorious years, Thomas Broich’s status as a Brisbane Roar legend was cemented when he was the first inductee into the club’s Hall of Fame.

He reflects on his A-League career:

What are favourite memories from your Brisbane Roar career?

I loved the 2014 grand final win against the Wanderers.

Why that one over the other two grand final victories?

Because of the atmosphere, and how competitive and how intense it was. We had to work so incredibly hard to get back and then win it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/brisbane/brisbane-roar-legend-thomas-broich-reflects-on-his-aleague-career/news-story/cae7c852e45ddd5b15477be419fc0309

Still my favourite Grand final even though we lost the match. The oppositions best player on that day even acknowledges how close we were to winning that match. 

BTW, not sure if the right thread, but it's 'media' in a way... was browsing YouTube last night and found the Futsal Women's World Cup in Spain, Australia v USA... wonder if YouTube, Facebook or Twitter is a way to stream our 'FTA' game moving forward?

1 hour ago, Gazmon said:

BTW, not sure if the right thread, but it's 'media' in a way... was browsing YouTube last night and found the Futsal Women's World Cup in Spain, Australia v USA... wonder if YouTube, Facebook or Twitter is a way to stream our 'FTA' game moving forward?

I don't see why not.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/10/facebook-scores-a-deal-to-live-stream-major-league-soccer-matches/

On 2017-5-19 at 7:32 PM, btron3000 said:

Nah she's right. The club should spend all it's time checking random facebook accounts and asking anyone who might be a Wanderers fan to remove anything that she deems homophobic.

**** me, they can't even get our members packs out to us on time, and she wants them to chase down pictures on the internets.

Michelle Heyman is one of the crusader types. On the pitch she is a wonderful footballer and I enjoy watching her play but **** me dead off it she is annoying. 

What's the point bringing this up months after it happened. She's just still mad we thumped her at Campbeltown last season. 

• mack locked this topic