Aaron Mooy

mack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought mooy stepped up in the midfield today. Just gets abit shy in front of goal.

Yep, this was his best game for a couple of weeks (of course it was hard to make any impression last week being subbed by Popa). I recall in the first half against the Meow he was a little tentative, especially in defence. This week he was full on, happy to give his all in defence. Plus, as discussed in the WSWvAUFC thread whereas in the past spot kicks have been pretty dire he really hammered a top shot in the first half, from about the same range as the goals he scored for the Socceroos in Honkers, and was unlucky not to get a goal for his efforts. I think he's taken a little while to get over the East Asia tourney and is only now getting close to his best form again.

I read some negative comments re: Aaron's performance in the AU v WSW thread which I really don't understand. I, like Manfred, thought he had a fantastic game. He was everywhere defensively and only lost 50-50 challenges against Vidosic who is a beast on the ball. He's been my favourite since Lismore and I really hope he stays confident and gets more time to develop the ESP-connection he shares with Shinji and Mateo.

I read some negative comments re: Aaron's performance in the AU v WSW thread which I really don't understand. I, like Manfred, thought he had a fantastic game. He was everywhere defensively and only lost 50-50 challenges against Vidosic who is a beast on the ball. He's been my favourite since Lismore and I really hope he stays confident and gets more time to develop the ESP-connection he shares with Shinji and Mateo.

My only complaint of Mooy is that he seems so impatient to score his first goal in a Wanderers shirt that he occasionally hogs the ball, going for glory, instead of playing the percentages pass. Overall I think he's been brilliant as a midfielder, he just seems a little impatient.

Can't agree with that. His selection of options is what stands him out as a midfielder in the a-league. Reads a game superbly. I think on a number of occasions yesterday when he was carrying the ball, the options in front of him - primarily Dino, but others guilty too - were running in straight lines. That's one thing that Labinot does well, diagonal or lateral runs in front of the ball carrier. Always more effective as it will ensure the defenders need to make a decision.

If you could accuse Mooy of being selfish then the only hypothetical example of that from yesterday's game was late in the second half when he was in the left side of the Adelaide box with Dino and I think Appiah-Kubi to his right. Mooy held the ball up and seemed to try and take on the converging defence...Harps as commentator saw this as a lack of support from his team mates which may have been the case. For me I think he was caught a little in two minds and wasn't fully aware of especially Dino's position. So I wouldn't accuse him of hogging the ball, more not quite having at that time situational awareness.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

I cant fault Mooy. As i mentioned in game thread. He can frustrate you at times with his ball holding, but a lot of his good work goes un-noticed. He dictates a really simple and smart passing game in midfield, and is so assured on the ball. And he tireless in defence.

I think its evident that the goals are playing on his mind. He can rush his shots, but once he gets that goal he will lift to a new level again.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a good read.

Im a big fan of Mooy. Western sydney boy and a great player. He doesnt quite appeal to all our fans off the field as hes a quite lad and doesnt interact as much with the RBB as say Polenz, Hersi, Dino, NTS .. Etc.. But you can see he loves the club, is passionate about what he does am lets his feet do the talking.

Reminds me of Paul Scholes some what in being the quite talented midfield achiever.

Fingers crossed he stays with the club for not ony next season but perhaps one more, and then excells in a league like the dutch or german as he would suit it.

That is a really good article... I've been noticing recently how quiet he is and it is a bit off-putting... But to know he's just shy is a relief...

I must say though he has had a dip in form since coming back from the Socceroos. He was probably our best player (performance-wise) up until that point, but now he looks kind of average and was probably at fault for Victory's goal... Shame because he's talented, hope he gets back in to form. 

That is a really good article... I've been noticing recently how quiet he is and it is a bit off-putting... But to know he's just shy is a relief...

I must say though he has had a dip in form since coming back from the Socceroos. He was probably our best player (performance-wise) up until that point, but now he looks kind of average and was probably at fault for Victory's goal... Shame because he's talented, hope he gets back in to form. 

I agree about his reserve/lack of skill when talking to the media but that isn't a worry if his form on the pitch speaks louder. There has been however a drop off in his performance since the stint with the Socceroos, and as Shinji has grown in importance Aaron's has diminished. I'm sure he can turn it around (and he has had some good moments in recent weeks...just not consistent). When you read these stories you realise that it's not always about how good the footballer is but how good the man is.

I agree about his reserve/lack of skill when talking to the media but that isn't a worry if his form on the pitch speaks louder. There has been however a drop off in his performance since the stint with the Socceroos, and as Shinji has grown in importance Aaron's has diminished. I'm sure he can turn it around (and he has had some good moments in recent weeks...just not consistent). When you read these stories you realise that it's not always about how good the footballer is but how good the man is.

Still.......... dem crossfield switches....