The Refereeing Thread

Love the analysis.

Would you have awarded the penalty?

Hmmm. Tough one. The reaction was a little over the top, but probably yes.

I would have done the same as the referee. That said, he could have consulted his assistant, taken some time and reached a decision. Sometimes it's also good to let things cool down. Could even walk over to the 4th official, talk to him, tell the coaching staff what the outcome was/is. Rarely see that. Look at the Ice Hockey. The officials will often skate to the benches and explain a call. They might not agree, but it seems to alleviate issues sometimes.

Thanks Gaz

I did see Gillett do that in the Melb Derby when Cahill was sent off.

I will have to double check more often with assistants before awarding a penalty when appointed for a centre!

Depends on the circumstances. If there's a post-incident fracas then sure, take the time. Especially if there's multiple incidents or significant protestation. If it's a clean cut foul in the penalty area, no need.

I often took time out after a match to talk to the coaches, but always after the paperwork was done. Let me finish that and I'll talk. Coaches often didn't bother. I can see why sometimes though (now as a coach myself). You just want an answer straight away and it can come across as being dismissive or 'closed-minded', but in reality the referee just wants to the boring paperwork done first.

The other thing is mention in regards to the Theo incident is that Lucas did not see the initial pull on the keeper which is why he thought that the two fouls occurred at the same time.

As you said Gazmon, had Lucas consulted with the linesman he would have realized that the two incidents didn't happen at the same time.

I understand what you were saying about grey area because at what point does do you say that one happened first and both happened at the same time?

Had Lucas blown his whistle earlier maybe you could say that one happened earlier than the other but the holding was technically happening at the same time as the elbow? No?

Lots of law changes and funny how the majority still don't understand the old laws let alone the new changes. Lots of clueless people out there and instead of trying to explain things, the FFA would much rather confusion rein.

Apologies if posted before.......Referee banned for life............South Africa V Senegal

Joseph Odartei Lamptey officiated in game between South Africa and Senegal

• Ball hit defender Kalidou Koulibaly on the leg, but referee pointed to the spot

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/20/ghanaian-referee-banned-life-fifa-south-africa-senegal-2018-world-cup-qualifier

........“Further information concerning the South Africa v Senegal match in question will be provided once the decision becomes final and binding.

But do the points stand?

Apologies if posted before.......Referee banned for life............South Africa V Senegal

Joseph Odartei Lamptey officiated in game between South Africa and Senegal

• Ball hit defender Kalidou Koulibaly on the leg, but referee pointed to the spot

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/20/ghanaian-referee-banned-life-fifa-south-africa-senegal-2018-world-cup-qualifier

........“Further information concerning the South Africa v Senegal match in question will be provided once the decision becomes final and binding.

But do the points stand?

I think FIFA may order the match be replayed...........http://ghanasoccernet.com/fifa-to-order-south-africa-to-replay-senegal-in-world-cup-qualifier-after-referee-manipulation

From the Roar website...

"Brisbane have suffered a 2-1 defeat to Adelaide United with FFA Director of Referees acknowledging that a referee mistake in second half stoppage time cost the Roar a vital point..."

Where are the multiple apologies to us?

• 2 weeks later...

We were told they would review penalty appeals and players who asked for reviews would get booked.

In one round we saw the players constantly asking for reviews without cards and two blatant handball penalties not reviewed.

You'd think the FFA were trying to show FIFA how bad the VAR concept is, but being the FFA I'm just going to assume it's incompetence.

I thought they dealt with it pretty well. They didn't get involved unless it was clearly a mistake. That's the way that the video should be used, if you are to use it.

I still think it'll hit bigger problems later. At some point one of the things that they don't check will be let go and have an impact on the game, or they'll miss something obvious, and people will start calling for more intrusive use. It's happened with every other sport that uses video, I think it'll happen here too.

I absolutely hate that offsides and the like can be checked later. The first time that happens, all the commentators will say it's great but the fans that were jumping for joy will then change. The next time their team scores they will wait to see what happens. And then you've lost the best part of the game - that explosion of joy that comes from a goal. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Fornaroli won't be going to Scotland then.

Or England.

Match ReviewCommittee can charge a player with "Successful Deception of a Match Official" and overturn red or yellow cards for opposition players for such deception IF UNANIMOUS.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Or England.

Match ReviewCommittee can charge a player with "Successful Deception of a Match Official" and overturn red or yellow cards for opposition players for such deception IF UNANIMOUS.

so if its introduced in australia there's no chance of a smurf or a city player betting done.

7 hours ago, mack said:

The A-League already has retrospective punishment for diving.

But it's never used especially on Berisha or Fakeroli 

this will hopefully force the various Match Review Committees to Review diving 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

At our local Branch meeting last night, we had James Tesoriero (A-league AR) present. Very genuine and passionate about refereeing which is refreshing to hear.

Yes! Took me a little while to warm up to him, but it was good to hear what he had to say. The few small insights he indirectly shared into the world of the FFA / national referees and some of the politics that are in play was also quite interesting I thought.

He'd be a prick of an assessor, that's for sure.

35 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Yes! Took me a little while to warm up to him, but it was good to hear what he had to say. The few small insights he indirectly shared into the world of the FFA / national referees and some of the politics that are in play was also quite interesting I thought.

He'd be a prick of an assessor, that's for sure.

Haha sounds like things haven't changed then... politics and the like was the reason I dropped out of the national set-up.

On 15/05/2017 at 9:35 AM, SomeGuy1977 said:

My eldest and I took up the challenge of referring this season (her idea, but I was happy to support her). I said to her at the start that I look forward to the day I get to run as her assistant. Well, on Saturday, it happened. She had her first game as the referee, taking control of an U12 game, with me running as one of her assistants. An easy game for an old guy like me, but for her, she was very stressed about it. 

I'm sure there's plenty of parents on the sidelines who would disagree with me, but I thought she did well for a first outing. Her confidence grew as the game progressed, and she held her nerve on a couple of big calls.

The moment we entered the field and she blew the whistle for the first time, I don't mind admitting I had to keep my emotions in check.

Good work kiddo :good:

Great story, not enough young referees in our country. She is going to cop a lot of **** and is going to need plenty of guidance.

Great and heart warming story to hear :)

On 10 June 2017 at 2:41 PM, Prydzopolis said:

Great story, not enough young referees in our country. She is going to cop a lot of **** and is going to need plenty of guidance.

Great and heart warming story to hear :)

Lack of guidance / support in how to deal with that kind of thing was the reason I dropped out when I was her age. I had better things to do with my life. Completely different now which is great. The **** will continue to come but I reckon she'll be better equipped to deal with it. And the confidence it will give her in general is invaluable (especially for her). I can't wait for her to give a mouthy coach / manager the "don't argue". Watching a small young girl put a loud mouth in his place (in my experience it's almost always males who feel it necessary to let officials know their opinion on the decisions they make) will be a sight to behold.