ACL Semi-Final Evenly Poised After 0-0 First Leg

An enthralling Asian Champions League Semi-Final contest between Seoul & the Western Sydney Wanderers finished 0-0 tonight.

The scoreless draw sees the equation for the return leg at Parramatta a simple one. For Seoul, any score draw or a win will see them through to the final, while the Wanderers will progress with any victory, while penalties loom large should the 0-0 scoreline repeat in Sydney.

The visiting Wanderers had the better of the opening stages, Labinot Haliti, who was replacing the suspended Tomi Juric up-front had a surging run in the 7th minute, despite being drawn wide he fired a shot in that Sang-Hun Yun was able to comfortably handle. Seoul were content to absorb early pressure and hit on the counter and with the Wanderers failing to find the right passes, the Koreans hit back with several chances on the quarter hour.

The first was a goalmouth scramble after Koh escaped a raft of attention, the ball bobbling to the advantage of Escudero. His shot deflected from Antony Golec who was lucky to only concede a corner. Minutes later a disastrous mixup between Hamill & Topor-Stanley, who both failed to heed the golden rule of defending by letting the ball bounce, saw Escudero clean through on goal, only for Hamill to race back and get a toe on the ball.

Saba had the best shot of the half for the Wanderers when he was given acres of room to launch a rocket from well outside the area that sliced off the boot and went wide.

Right before the interval Ante Covic had a heart in mouth moment when he allowed the ball to squeeze out from under him, thankfully the onrushing Korean striker was attacking the near post and not the far, otherwise he would have had a tap-in.

Seoul looked to press Western Sydney, making a double switch at the break. With precious little to split the two teams, the Wanderers began to lose control of their passing range, wastefully giving away possession in dangerous areas from multiple players. Cha Du-Ri and Kwang-Min Ko menaced the flanks but their delivery quality was lacking.

Vitor Saba showed his class as the clock ticked to 10 minutes remaining, after gliding past several challenges he launched an audacious lobbed pass that floated into the penalty area, and had Mark Bridge been in a better body position, it could have lead to a shot on target.

Into added time, Everton Santos blazed a fierce strike that had Covic at full stretch to turn over the bar. It was the last major action of the game, an absorbing contest between the two evenly matched and equally resolute semi-finalists. While the Wanderers controlled the early stages, Seoul turned the screws late on and were unlucky not to create another golden chance after Escudero fluffed his lines earlier in the night. Both teams will feel they have what it takes to win through to the Final, and there is still everything to play for.

The Wanderers next match is the second leg of the Asian Champions League Semi-Final against FC Seoul, at Parramatta Stadium, 7:30pm on Wednesday the 1st of October 2014.

Follow the @WestSydney twitter page and our Facebook Page for A-League news & discussion.

To vote on the Player of the Match visit this page and select your best and second best Wanderers players.

Click here to view the article

No Cole, Santa or Juric.... looking good for the return leg. I know we have to trust in Popa and we have ended up on many occassions with egg on our faces but gee it's so frustrating trying to pick his thoughts. Tonight about the 65min mark I was screaming for fresh legs but no Popa cool, calm and collected, chooses yet again to ignore me... :crazy:

saba seems to be the sort of player id rather like to see come of the bench for now. can be that late xfactor, still hasn't blended with the rest of the squad yet.

This shall be revisited mid way through the season. In time combinations will form.

Saba was killing it today - no other player could 'read' his moves hence why Bridge, Haliti and others got caught out cold. I think if the team wisens up to his play we they will kill it

saba seems to be the sort of player id rather like to see come of the bench for now. can be that late xfactor, still hasn't blended with the rest of the squad yet.

This shall be revisited mid way through the season. In time combinations will form.

Saba was killing it today - no other player could 'read' his moves hence why Bridge, Haliti and others got caught out cold. I think if the team wisens up to his play we they will kill it

Haliti and Bridge aren't target men in the way that Juric and Santa are. The Saba - Juric combo could be really good. 

Bridge looked a bit isolated and I love Haliti but he is a bench player for mine and is usually at his best coming on with 20 mins to go, nothing new in that view, I think we have all known that for a couple of years.

Edited by WSWBoro

Seoul reminded me of Arsenal lots of ball in the attacking 3rd  not many chances created.

For all that time sitting up there Covic had pretty much no hard saves to make except last one near the end.

Topor apart from mix up with Hamill was beast mode repelling everything. He's be an absolute rock through the knockout stages.

Saba were looked good in patches, more time with team will help.

Like FCB said in match thread all the players out or ineligible and no big marquee and we just got a massive result away from home. 

Can't wait for 2 weeks gunna be massive!!!

Obviously a really good result, so we now have destiny in our own hands for the second leg.

Well done to Logan (forum post name "hojuhanguk"), Peter etc - our fans in Seoul - for raising the flag for the team and on behalf of everyone back home.

Edited by Pablo

Semi-finals   

d)  If the same number of goal or no goal is scored during these periods of extra time, penalty kicks shall be taken to determine the winner (cf. Art. 10). Away goals do not apply in extra time. 

http://www.the-afc.com/en/component/jdownloads/finish/182-acl/271-afc-champions-league-2014-competitions-regulations.html
Edited by Flytox

Semi-finals   

d)  If the same number of goal or no goal is scored during these periods of extra time, penalty kicks shall be taken to determine the winner (cf. Art. 10). Away goals do not apply in extra time. 

http://www.the-afc.com/en/component/jdownloads/finish/182-acl/271-afc-champions-league-2014-competitions-regulations.html

cool, as I mentioned earlier today, I have a gut feeling this one is going all the way to pennas

I thought both teams were quite ordinary tonight, slow movement and many inaccurate passes.

But 0-0 is not bad away from home.

Remember, at the same stage of the tie against Hiroshima we were down 1-3 and still made it through with a 2-0 home win.

I reckon we can get a win against Seoul at Parra.

COYW!