Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

We don't have the budget or the room to have a stadium with different height stands, not without sacrificing thousands of seats, a situation which as a group we already believe may not be big enough even with a single height stand design.

I still don't understand how something like Pride Park (Derby) can be built for £28 million with a 32,900 capacity while ours will cost $300 million and have a smaller capacity.

We don't have the budget or the room to have a stadium with different height stands, not without sacrificing thousands of seats, a situation which as a group we already believe may not be big enough even with a single height stand design.

I still don't understand how something like Pride Park (Derby) can be built for £28 million with a 32,900 capacity while ours will cost $300 million and have a smaller capacity

Both Pride Park and the Riverside are getting on for 21 years old now. The Riverside was built 1995 and Pride Park a few years later, but essentially exactly the same off the self IKEA flat pack stadiums. I don't expect anything too fancy with the budget and functional if a little bland is fine with me, rail seating would go a long way to negating that blandness.

During the Riversides construction we would go down on an evening and climb the perimeter fence and walk around the construction site, climb up and around the half built stands. Until security chased us off anyway.....

Edited by WSWBoro

I still don't understand how something like Pride Park (Derby) can be built for £28 million with a 32,900 capacity while ours will cost $300 million and have a smaller capacity

Both Pride Park and the Riverside are getting on for 21 years old now. The Riverside was built 1995 and Pride Park a few years later, but essentially exactly the same off the self IKEA flat pack stadiums. I don't expect anything too fancy with the budget and functional if a little bland is fine with me, rail seating would go a long way to negating that blandness.

During the Riversides construction we would go down on an evening and climb the perimeter fence and walk around the construction site, climb up and around the half built stands. Until security chased us off anyway.....

Can someone bring a ramp? :lol:

Can someone bring a ramp? :lol:

item code name 'fotbollsplan', aisle 8 collection point.

Hotdog on the way out optional...

Edited by WSWBoro

Similarly I was just taking in the general, about older style stadiums.

I am assuming our new stadium will be symmetrical. I'm probably in the minority debate on here. But this stadium will be a focal point for the club and the west, hopefully they can do better than a flat pack bowl (like Bolton, derby). I'm not looking for lasers and pointless arches, but hopefully it will be a stadium that is recognisable

I am assuming our new stadium will be symmetrical. I'm probably in the minority debate on here. But this stadium will be a focal point for the club and the west, hopefully they can do better than a flat pack bowl (like Bolton, derby). I'm not looking for lasers and pointless arches, but hopefully it will be a stadium that is recognisable

Bolton's ground is VERY recognizable and far from the Pride Park / Riverside flat pack design.

250px-Reebokstadium_inside.jpg

When you drive on the motorway near Bolton it doesn't even look like a sports stadium from the outside.

Edited by WSWBoro

Bolton's ground is VERY recognizable and far from the Pride Park / Riverside flat pack design.

250px-Reebokstadium_inside.jpg

When you drive on the motorway near Bolton it doesn't even look like a sports stadium from the outside.

Maybe I am being harsh on Bolton then

I'm sure I drove past it years ago, is it out of town on an industrial estate?

Anyhow might point holds, the stadium will be a focal point for parramatta, home of western Sydney Wanderers. It should reflect that even it costs a bit extra.

The best thing about rebuilding parra is that it is on same site, in the city with pubs, resteraunts etc about.

They nearly moved Everton to a retail park in Kirkby that would have beyond depressing.

I am confident the architects will bring something into the design, hopefully nothing ugly.

It will be nice if the stadium and the surrounding areas have a simple and easy design but with a touch of WEST.

What does that mean? I am not sure myself. I don't think a modern state of the art stadium is NOT what we need. I want a nitty gritty stadium that teams, home or away fans feel like **** is gonna go down we they approach the stadium. Intimidating is what I want the stadium represent. A wall of red and black is what I want to see and a deafing atmosphere.

Looking the design brief I believe they will provide that.

I think they should take advantage of the river and use that to influence the stadium design will be great too.

^^^  There was "stuff" from the documentation that accompanies the application for approval of the demolition of the existing stadium and swimming pool.  It gives concepts and design considerations for what will replace it.  The application is currently on public display for a month.  It will be interesting to see the public submissions that come in.

^^^  There was "stuff" from the documentation that accompanies the application for approval of the demolition of the existing stadium and swimming pool.  It gives concepts and design considerations for what will replace it.  The application is currently on public display for a month.  It will be interesting to see the public submissions that come in.

So I assume the FOPP will get a chance to make submissions now, and then again once the actual designs go in?

I also assume that given that this one is showing concepts and heights etc, they won't have much of a leg to stand on should this go through, and that the only thing they could really complain about at the next stage is anything new that is outside the current concept and specs?

EDIT: forgot to add, I also like asymmetrical stadiums, but Levi's is a massive joke. The Niners fans HATE it, and hate their owner who paved the way for it. The way it was funded squeezed out the average joe, the stadium caters to the corporates over atmosphere, the sun issues, the grass has been ripped up at least half a dozen times because it is dangerous, the parking and traffic is shite, and it's an hour from San Francisco! Absolute farce.

Edited by btron3000

^^^ The FOPP can make submissions on the matters covered in the application.

Western Sydney Stadium Western Sydney Stadium (Concept & Stage 1 Demolition)
Staged development application for a concept proposal for a new 30,000 seat stadium, comprising: 
> building envelopes for future ancillary facilities on O’Connell Street (within land owned by Venues NSW); 
> provision of approximately 500 car parking spaces on site, including retention and re-location of existing at grade car-parking for the stadium; and 
> demolition of the existing Parramatta Pool and related buildings and structures. 

Detailed approval for Stage 1 works is also proposed, comprising: demolition of the existing stadium and related structures; demolition of the existing pool and related buildings and structures; and subdivision and enabling infrastructure works.

All submissions are considered and will result in an approval with matters to be considered in the final design listed.  The successful consortium will be responsible to get the approvals required for their design and again anyone can make a submission then.

KC Stadium in Hull is asymmetrical.  We could have the western stand have an extra tier like that.  http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-aerial-view-of-hull-citys-kc-stadium-hull-62028666.html

Edited by Flytox

A few people asked for the link

https://twitter.com/pablofootball/status/757438479437475840

A few comments on the above:

Safe Standing:

- Acknowledge that others are against it

- Have been told that we will be getting safe standing but it just depends on which of the 8 different scenarios we will get. Hopefully once they will actually start to see some examples, it will put there mind at ease.

Car Park

- See there is some on site parking but Mack/Marron/Pablo, do you remember them talking about building a multi story car park where the pool parking was? I don't see that in the sketches?

Capacity

- As Marron highlighted, 30k is just what government used in press releases. It will be 30-35k depending on how far the architects can stretch the 300m budget & the site footprint

- NB WSW & Pirtek stadium management commissioned a design to show that 35k could be accommodated on current footprint. Now that the pool will be removed, this will no longer be an issue.

- The Eels were against increasing the capacity beyond 30k (27k + 3k corporate) as they were inclined to move big games to ANZ. Venues NSW were against because they were under the impression that if games reached capacity, games would be moved to other Sydney stadiums.

Roof

- It looks like we are getting the roof which will cover all seats but hopefully they are still able to maintain a steep rake.

- Anyone know why we would have to sacrifice steep rake for a roof? FFA realized that there was never the budget to get a retractable roof right?

Tailgate area

- Looks like no walkway or path from road to stadium. That correct?

- Does anyone know how the "ticketed tailgate area will work based on the drawings/pictures provided?

Stadium Outside

- Remember they want to make this a landmark for Western Sydney but also realise that they haven't got much money to play with

- I'm hoping they'll go for the LED lighting display on the outside of the stadium but unsure whether cost will be a factor.

Stadium Height

- Based of the diagram/picture posted last few pages, remember that the stadium was built to the height of the trees x years ago. The trees have grown over the past 30 years, so there is scope to increase the height of the stadium to the current height of the trees but no further.

- The trees used in the diagram I don't believe are to scale, so don't worry. Just hope there is enough room to go high enough to get the stadium we want without sacrificing anything.

Good luck Gaz!

In all seriousness, in regards to the new Wanderland, I seriously hope this Govt and its tenderers get this design right.

It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a stadium that is specific for the rectangular football codes.

It's also the best chance we will have for a long time to have a so called suburban ground surrounded by high population growth areas be given a stadium that encompasses a true European atmosphere if designed properly.

Any one of Gaz's designs would be adequate. I just fear that this country doesn't truly understand the benefits of such a design, and I'm therefore wary of what they come up with.

I hope that those that went to the stadium forums had an input that will give the designers enough ideas to put such a project in place.

As wonderful as the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium looks, it just still doesn't cut the mustard. It's good, but it could have been so much better without the wanky roof and curved side tiers, which seems to be a popular design these days.

Keep it simple. Keep it practical. But at least make it something that works in maximising atmosphere and game day experience.

Maybe some of those people who attended those stadium forums can tell us their gut feelings whether they think this may happen.

Marron, Mack & a few other Wanderers fans have made sure that our views have been properly voiced in this area. Hopefully they will listen ;)

Compadres.

Gutted. Our team didn't get shortlisted for RFT.

Hopefully one of the other bids has an architect that is a foundation member and can be a voice for the club.

:sorry:

Can you give us any more on why you didn't get picked? From an outsider looking in, it looks like the experience of the other bidders is what cost you?

Re: future proofing, it's more or less not doable on the site for various reasons. What it will be will be.

Future proofing nor possible due to inefficiency that needs to be built in to design to accommodate future expansion.

Safe Standing:

- Have been told that we will be getting safe standing but it just depends on which of the 8 different scenarios we will get. Hopefully once they will actually start to see some examples, it will put there mind at ease.

8 different scenarios?

Does this include different types of seats or lack thereof, or just different layouts? I can't think of 8 different layouts. Whole north end, just the middle bays, the north end but only across the bottom half, just middle bays but only across the bottom half. That's 4 options. Any others?

Safe Standing:

8 different scenarios?

Does this include different types of seats or lack thereof, or just different layouts? I can't think of 8 different layouts. Whole north end, just the middle bays, the north end but only across the bottom half, just middle bays but only across the bottom half. That's 4 options. Any others?

Close, in all honesty I was told that there was 8 different options. I also thought it might be related to the types of safe standing but unsure at this stage.

Safe Standing:

8 different scenarios?

Close, in all honesty I was told that there was 8 different options. I also thought it might be related to the types of safe standing but unsure at this stage.
If the 8 different options consist of some of the different types of seating they installed and trialled in the north terrace, they consider flip seats to be safe standing...

Safe Standing:

8 different scenarios?

If the 8 different options consist of some of the different types of seating they installed and trialled in the north terrace, they consider flip seats to be safe standing...

Anyone know why we would have to sacrifice steep rake for a roof? FFA realized that there was never the budget to get a retractable roof right?

Only reason I can think of would be the height of the stands. The steeper the rake, the higher the stand will be (if you had the same number of rows), so therefore the roof will be set higher.

Hughsey - that would be incredibly disappointing if they did but I don't think so. In all honesty flip seats can't be considered safe standing because the seats aren't high enough to stop a crush from happening. That is why they have bars in front.

Anyone know why we would have to sacrifice steep rake for a roof? FFA realized that there was never the budget to get a retractable roof right?

Only reason I can think of would be the height of the stands. The steeper the rake, the higher the stand will be (if you had the same number of rows), so therefore the roof will be set higher.

Roof would be set higher? I think this is the whole C-value thing all over again & I have no idea what you're talking about :lol:

Hughsey - that would be incredibly disappointing if they did but I don't think so. In all honesty flip seats can't be considered safe standing because the seats aren't high enough to stop a crush from happening. That is why they have bars in front.

Roof would be set higher? I think this is the whole C-value thing all over again & I have no idea what you're talking about :lol:

Well..

If the average row depth is 0.80m and we have 20 rows then we go back 16m from the fence. That won't change with the rake.

If the rake was shallow, say 0.30m per riser (from one row to the next) and we went back 20 rows we'd go up 6m (20 x 0.3). If we have a steep rake, say 0.48m per riser we'd go up 9.6m (20 x 0.48). If the roof is a standard height of say 3m above the last row, then the roof would be 9.0m on a shallow rake, or 12.6m for a steeper one.

Edited by Gazmon
To commemorate Pirtek Stadium and celebrate the future Western Sydney Stadium, you are invited to a special open day on Saturday 6 August.

Wanderers’ players will be attending the special open day where all members of the community will have access to the playing field and extremely rare access to the players’ dressing room.

The Pirtek Stadium Open Day is free of charge but you need to register to attend by clicking here.

As well as incredible behind-the-scenes access to the stadium, the open day will also include:

• Mini-football games
  • Jumping castles
  • Face Painting
  • Live music
  • Food trucks

You will also get the chance to learn more about the future Western Sydney Stadium.

For more information about the Western Sydney Stadium click here.

- See more at: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/farewell-pirtek-stadium-at-open-day/2dpxcxfaios41cn8d4cm8tvdc?camefrom=EMCL_1198777_46016142#sthash.qifJQ2Z4.dpuf
Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/farewell-pirtek-stadium-at-open-day/2dpxcxfaios41cn8d4cm8tvdc#gOIGw1yka2C845sj.99

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/farewell-pirtek-stadium-at-open-day/2dpxcxfaios41cn8d4cm8tvdc?camefrom=EMCL_1198777_46016142

Parra Leagues club got approval to build a 3 storey car park already? That won't affect the site as it is adjacent.

Based on the documents, looks like the DA has been approved. Won't affect site but looks like the new stadium will have its own parking.

If you were referring to my post, was talking about a separate car park where the pool car park is currently.

DEMOLITION PHASE

The NSW Government is planning development of the Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta in two stages. During stage one, the existing stadium will be demolished and a concept proposal for the new stadium will be developed. The stage one plans also consider possible impacts during operation of the stadium as envisaged in the concept proposal. During stage two, the Western Sydney Stadium will undergo detailed design and be constructed.

Demolition

A specialist contractor will be engaged to undertake the demolition of the existing stadium. Demolition works will start in early 2017, and the contractor will remove the buildings in stages within the site boundary. Demolition works are expected to be complete by mid-2017.

http://www.insw.com/media/54345/western_sydney_stadium_fact_sheet_-_demolition_phase.pdf

From the Infrastucture NSW webpage for the Western Sydney Stadium and the series of fact sheets linked above.

Edited by FCWanderers

DEMOLITION PHASE

The NSW Government is planning development of the Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta in two stages. During stage one, the existing stadium will be demolished and a concept proposal for the new stadium will be developed. The stage one plans also consider possible impacts during operation of the stadium as envisaged in the concept proposal. During stage two, the Western Sydney Stadium will undergo detailed design and be constructed.

Demolition

A specialist contractor will be engaged to undertake the demolition of the existing stadium. Demolition works will start in early 2017, and the contractor will remove the buildings in stages within the site boundary. Demolition works are expected to be complete by mid-2017.

http://www.insw.com/media/54345/western_sydney_stadium_fact_sheet_-_demolition_phase.pdf

From the Infrastucture NSW webpage for the Western Sydney Stadium and the series of fact sheets linked above.

Can't think it would take long to demolish, not much of a structure compared to some old stadiums. 6 months demolition, don't think so.

They ripped apart Ayresome Park within weeks and that was all kinds of stands and high banking terraces that had been there for over 100 years.... all gone and leveled within a month.

DEMOLITION PHASE

Demolition

Can't think it would take long to demolish, not much of a structure compared to some old stadiums. 6 months demolition, don't think so.

They ripped apart Ayresome Park within weeks and that was all kinds of stands and high banking terraces that had been there for over 100 years.... all gone and leveled within a month.

i heard i dont know how true this is but the stadium has asbestos i dont know how true that is but if it is then it complicates demolition