Coach and Staff Thread

It wasn't a dead rubber. We had to win 5-0 to have any chance of qualifying.

I think Carrasco has a lot to answer for too. And the entire coaching staff. We have so many staff and this season is what they come up with?

Shambles.

Not enough WSW in the squad, not enough red and black under the jerseys. Heartless/soulless/faceless lot. Looking forward to the next cull. No tears will be shed here at my end.

It's too easy to put the blame on the coaching group.

Club took a gamble to play HAL and ACL with the same squad. Didn't work.

Cheap imports to have them around for most of the pre season, and bring them up to speed. Didn't work.

Starting the season with two B-Grade goal keepers and without a proven goal scorer. Didn't work.

Sign two tall CBs to defend standards and be more dangerous at corners and free kicks. Didn't work.

The list goes on.

Too many gambles. The game plan was fine, but for at least half of the season we didn't have the players to execute it successfully. Instead we scored semi-own goals and missed sitters en masse. How many points did the Tyson/Redders duo alone cost us??

Despite all these gambles: had we held on to Vidosic and "missed out" on Jumpei instead we would have ended up just 20 points behind the Smurfs, and play a home semi this coming weekend.

Club got what they deserved. Negligence, ignorance, wishful thinking, exercising reverse economics, bordering on incompetence.

Bring on the members forum. I feel sorry for JT already.

Erebus is right. It'll be the same platitudes as always, nothing of substance.

My patience with Popa is wearing thin though, he needs to nail his recruitment next season or there will be many more unhappy people.

Erebus is right. It'll be the same platitudes as always, nothing of substance.

My patience with Popa is wearing thin though, he needs to nail his recruitment next season or there will be many more unhappy people.

On recruitment, i would give Popa a little slack as he tried to sign quality forwards in Kage, McDonald, Eduardo where was thwarted by Lederer not paying transfer fees or by the FFA.

I understand the late exit of Jamo, Bridge, Vidosic and NTS didn't help our chances.

But the Visa signings were woeful.

Popa isn't going anywhere, but if recruitment is $hit again this offseason then he's done.

Griffiths was a stop gap solution to the failed attempt of signing Scott McDonald.

In the end, he opted to use Lachlan Scott more anyway (which is a good thing)

It wasn't a dead rubber. We had to win 5-0 to have any chance of qualifying.

I think Carrasco has a lot to answer for too. And the entire coaching staff. We have so many staff and this season is what they come up with?

Shambles.

I don't blame Carrasco for attempting to promote an up-tempo, possession game. Unfortunately you can't do that successfully with the squad we have, and it has always been the same - our early successes were predicated on a defence that was as mean as cat's piss, and had authority, and an attack that had finish (minus Dino).

Personally I think Popa needs a change, but the club needs to spend a lot of the cap on a good core - striker, attacking mid, controlling mid, and another CB.

Popa the scout/recruiter 2/10

Popa the coach 8/10

He realised that the club had failed with the imports mid season, replaced them from the starting 11, changed the style of play to be more defensive and more direct to suit the new players, developed baccus and aspro, got a good season out of clisby etc.

One of the big criticisms of popa was that he never adapted his style to suit the circumstance - well he did it mid season and succeeded - second half our form  was top two. few coaches have the ability/humility to accept their mistake and rectify it the way he did this season.

I think the club itself are getting off very light in all of this. If the budget for marquees was there and not used then sure popa gets the blame. But given filled our foriegn spots with dross i suspect he was given a low budget

You can't spend CCM money and expect to finish top

Popa the scout/recruiter 2/10

Popa the coach 8/10

He realised that the club had failed with the imports mid season, replaced them from the starting 11, changed the style of play to be more defensive and more direct to suit the new players, developed baccus and aspro, got a good season out of clisby etc.

One of the big criticisms of popa was that he never adapted his style to suit the circumstance - well he did it mid season and succeeded - second half our form  was top two. few coaches have the ability/humility to accept their mistake and rectify it the way he did this season.

Indeed. People are calling for his head DESPITE the turn around in the second season. Surely that's the sign of a good coach? To take the absolute shambles that we were and turn that around into the second best team in the league, a penalty away from a semi-final? 

I'd love to know who this flawless genius people think will replace Popa is. Even people like Gombau (who I would be happy with) had poor patches, and didn't actually achieve that great of a result with Adelaide. Just an example of how people think the grass is always greener, when the facts are that over 5 seasons, Popa's record is as good as anyone's over that period of time. Good luck finding someone who hasn't made a mistake over 5 years.

Like I've said before, I don't mind people wanting him out, and most people on here who think that way are respectful about it. But on the Internet you see people saying all kinds of **** about the man who has, without a doubt, done more and put in more effort for this club than anyone else, this club that has enchanced our lives so much. It's pathetic.

• mack unpinned this topic