Police/Security Issues & Restrictions

The two supporter marshals in front of the Bloc are pretty cool cats. GI Joe in the red was singing along to one of the chants the other night and the big man in the white just looks like he's loving life haha

So shouldn't they be enough? Why do we need to be surrounded by a billion seccos stopping us at every aisle and staring us down from all angles?
What's the law about giving cops your ID in the first place if you're not doing anything wrong?

I once got asked for ID when I was drunk and while I was getting my wallet out I dropped stuff on the ground. The cop started being a dickhead and making fun of some of the stuff I dropped, I called him a ****wit, ended up arrested and had to go to court for "offensive language in a a public place". The cop never even bothered to show up, probably too embarrassed about his collar of a 19 year old kid. The judge was annoyed his court was wasting time on crap and sent me home with no record after I apologised. ******* cops.

I think we must be too well behaved at the games these days. The children with my group were folding the Wanderers magazines into paper planes and throwing them. 4 police officers came down to tell the children to stop throwing them! 4!!

Little bastards !! Kids throwing paper planes into the back of my head really ******* annoys me , I hope it was the riot squad goons .

I think we must be too well behaved at the games these days. The children with my group were folding the Wanderers magazines into paper planes and throwing them. 4 police officers came down to tell the children to stop throwing them! 4!!

The thing is the little buggers were using the whole magazine, not just a single page. ! lol  They hurt !

If a cop asks, you must show them. That's what I was told by a copper at the cop shop after refusing the day before.

Actually that isn't true. Police do not have the power to request ID unless there is a reasonable suspicion that you've been involved with the commission of a crime.

Obviously there are a few exceptions. Driving is one. Since you need a license to drive, they can legally request to see it if you're in charge of a motor vehicle. I'm pretty sure being in a licensed venue is another one.

But if I'm just walking down the road minding my own business, police have no right to ask me for my ID and I have the right to refuse if they do.

In the link above, the man produced his Opal card without argument and then also produced the required concession card when asked to. He complied with all lawful instructions, was found to have the appropriate proof of concession, and that should have been the end of it. Police over-stepped and got done for it.

Reading the comment sections on this story has made me angry. So many people are willing to give up their rights and civil liberties just because they go by "I've done nothing wrong, so why worry..."

I've become a big advocate of protecting civil liberties since becoming a Wanderers fan. I think there's a fine line between being able to police properly and stepping over the line. I think we need to have checks and balances to ensure that the police uphold the law and not make it.

I'm pretty sure that there is a law that gives cops the authority to stop and request id, also to stop and search as well but it's at their discretion. Best to just comply without being a smart arse as some cops are angry power trippers that can ruin your day over nothing.

I'm pretty sure that there is a law that gives cops the authority to stop and request id, also to stop and search as well but it's at their discretion. Best to just comply without being a smart arse as some cops are angry power trippers that can ruin your day over nothing.

As I said above, they can request ID and do a stop and search, but only if there is a reasonable suspicion that you've been involved with the commission of a crime.

It's got nothing to do with discretion. Police don't just have unbridled discretion (although I think a lot of them like to think they do because they assume people won't argue or follow it up).

They ultimately have to be able to prove in a court of law, what evidence they had to give rise to their suspicions and whether it meets the threshold test for reasonableness. Otherwise, as in this case, the search or stop is deemed inadmissible and the case gets thrown out or a judgement is made against them.

Your statement to just comply is what justifies this type of power tripping behaviour by police. They think they can get away with it and people will just do whatever they are told because they don't know their rights.

I have no problem handing over my ID when I get stopped for an RBT or when I'm in a licensed venue. That's because I know a stipulation of me doing those things is having ID on me.

What I would take umbrage to though, is a police officer stopping me on a bus, train, footpath or outside the stadium and asking me for ID with no explanation and then detaining me until I did so even though they have no reasonable grounds for it.

Feel free to keep arguing with me. I haven't had a good old legal fight on here in ages and I need to put my law degree to use somehow ;)

Lol I wasn't arguing with you but making the point that if you be a smart arse to a cop you expect the treatment in return.

Cops know the laws but still treat people like crap if they like and growing up in my area never stopped cops harassing you on the street regardless of law.

We use to argue with them and that tell them to f off but in the end got you no were, I don't like to comply either and will be a total c*** to them if they're being one but will end up in a scuffle or so over nothing. Best to not provoke an incident as I've got plenty of cop stories of mates who have copped a good beating or slashed tyres or some sort of revenge from power trippers regardless of law, even I've had charges dropped against (ressisting arrest and assault of an officer) me because they used excessive force upon arrest caught on camera that screwed them despite I belted one of them nicely in the process.

Plus we all know the cops are power tripping at A-League games at the request of the FFA, plus it's a licensed premesis so they can kick you out, and if you complain or get hot they will **** you up, take your name and get you banned.

I guess it comes down to how you deal with the situation. 

If you interact with them calmly and without acting like a tool, you would probably get a lot further than not. If you know your rights and ask them to explain themselves and their actions, I reckon most (not all) times you'll find they back off. Again, most people don't know their rights, so when someone calls them out in a measured way, they'll think twice.

In a lot of situations I see, people start blowing up and abusing the police and then it often escalates from there. If you are getting charged with assault or resisting arrest, then you obviously aren't going about interacting with the police the right way. Not telling them to **** off, not calling them ****s and not belting them is a good way to start. 

That's why I'm a big fan of now filming any interactions with the police. They have little cameras on their vests filming me, so I'm also within my rights to film them in public. I can then make sure that everything they do is by the book, and if not, I can take it further. It also shows how I handled the situation too. 

The stadium issue is a tough one. Yes, it's a licensed premise so they can kick you out for very little and request your ID. I think filming is the way to go. But then if you did get banned anyway, there's no appeals process to present your evidence. So you're basically ****ed  <_<

Good points Jess. The thing is, it has to go to court before you can be vindicated. Also most people have little clue what the threshold is for "reasonable suspicion" etc. In my situation, after discussing it with cops at Parramatta LAC, I still don't know if I had the right to refuse. The cop that wanted it wouldn't answer me when I asked (I was told he doesn't have to).

Also restrictions on cops asking for ID go out the window in certain locations. For example, in Church St Mall, no reasonable suspicion is required.

Just go along with what they say if they single you out, you can't beat them unless you're extremely lucky.

It's naive to think you can beat them by just knowing your rights. You think they give a **** lol? Especially if you're at a big event, and even more so if it's for a protest. I remember once for some tiny student protest of 30 kids a few years ago they had a big van filled with riot police... Think they're going to have a debate about what they can or cannot do?

Edited by Valter43

If they need to show that there was reasonable suspicion that you'd committed a crime the cop will just say that you had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. They asked for ID because they suspected you were under the influence of drugs and may be possessing drugs.

I was again dismayed by the amount of police at last nights match.

Seriously, they pretty much just stand around doing nothing all night and cost our club a fortune because some twat at Auburn or Lidcombe Command Centre consider us a continual threat to society.

I walked out of gate D last night after the game like we all had to. Just outside of the gate, I noticed 4 cops standing there talking and joking amongst themselves.

Just 20 metres further on, there were another 4 doing exactly the same thing.

That's 8 cops we are paying for. For what?

The fact that another 10 metres on we were all corralled into a sheep run 100 metres long, intermingling with away fans and with no sight of trouble was of little interest to them.

There have been 3 brawls at NRL matches in the first 3 rounds of the NRL season. Have they increased security for these? I highly doubt it.

I was listening to 2SM Talking Sport one afternoon this week, and the amount of people that rang to say that they would never go to Shark Park for an NRL game again was astounding. All of them said they didn't feel safe going there, and found that the general feeling was intimidating. Of course, the League bogans that run the show fobbed such comments off pretty quickly. I've been there for Eels games myself and have also on many occasions felt the same and seen some terrible brawls.

If 3 brawls had happened at A-League games in 3 consecutive weeks, this countries media would go into meltdown. Why? Because we are wogs. The NRL people are just lads havin a larf.

It sickens me.

The protection in the media of the egg ball codes is just amazing but hardly surprising.

I would like to know the a number of incidents at WSW games that could not be resolved by security or normal cops, and required attendance from the riot squads.

If there aren't any, as I suspect, how can they justify sending 3 squads to every game and charging the club for it?

Same applies to the mounted police.

Can this type of info be obtained under freedom of information?

Walking into the twin servos Maccas westbound with family, there was a gaggle of cops.

Their chief knew we had a win and asked if we had lit flares or taken any seats.

Interesting that they already knew we had won and tried to joke with me about criminal activity.

Not sure what command they were from but I assume Blacktown

Read with equal parts fury and disbelief the directive from the English FA to supporters following the national team not to chant things that might cause offence. Spending 500 hundred quid to watch a bunch of talentless overpaid puffed up c**** pretending to represent England causes me offence, you corrupt bunch of tw@ts. Get f*****.

Come on guys our cartoon penis banner was a clear threat to national security.

People were offended = swat team justified.

That banner could have had somebody's eye out

or at least an unwanted tonsillectomy

It's not even that. They won't base their resource allocations on what they believe is appropriate. They'll base it on what they can get away with getting someone else to pay for. As long as there's a public perception that Wanderers games are like downtown Fallujah then the cops can deploy whoever they want and send us the bill. There won't be any public outrage because it'll seem reasonable.

• mack unpinned this topic