Wanderers ACL Appearances: 5
Wanderers ACL Goals: 0

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 1
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances: 0
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Total Appearances: 20
Wanderers Total Goals: 1

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2016/17: 20 (1)

International Team: Spain
International Caps:
International Goals:

Club Exit Date: 29/07/17

Individual Awards:

Team Honours:

Highlight: Got sent off in his first A-League match, against Sydney FC in Round 1 of Season 2016/16
Highlight: Scored his first goal for the Wanderers in Round 3 Season 2016/17 against Newcastle Jets
Highlight:

Description: A journeyman central defender, the Basque-born Artiz has played for a raft of clubs in Europe, as well as a stint for Muangthong United in Thailand. His first season for the Wanderers was dreadful, being sent off on debut, and giving away multiple penalties and being generally an awful defender.

View full record

Who is Wanderers' new Spanish signing?

2/2
Records were smashed. New champions were crowned. Take a look back at some of the beautiful moments this season produced.

Thursday, 7 July 2016

-

John Duerden @JohnnyDuerden

Asian football expert John Duerden assesses the signing of Aritz Borda, Wanderers' latest acquisition, with one Segunda Division coach predicting the Spanish defender can be as successful in Western Sydney as compatriot Diego Castro in the Hyundai A-League.

Given the success that Spain has had in the international football arena over the past decade at club and country level, it is not a surprise that Spanish players are welcome pretty much everywhere they go.

That does not mean that Aritz Borda is going to be a success at his new club Western Sydney Wanderers but those who know the central defender are confident that he has what it takes to settle and then star at the 2014 AFC Champions League winners, saying he is a mixture of silk and steel in the backline.

Your Hyundai A-League club’s contracted players

Borda has played in his homeland for Recreativo de Huelva, Real Sociedad B, Bilbao Athletic and Mirandes before moving to Cyprus and APOEL. 

The 31 year-old then had a short spell at Thailand powerhouse Muangthong United before a return to Europe and Rapid Bucaresti and then back to Spain and Alaves.

Ricardo Rodriguez is a Spanish coach, a former assistant at Malaga and head coach of Girona. 

He has also spent the last three years in Thailand, taking Ratchaburi to a record fourth place before taking Bangkok Glass to a top four spot when he left four games before the season end.

Rodriguez, 42, believes that his compatriot's short spell in Thailand was due to a lack of time with the club before making his debut.

“I remember that we played against him when I was in Ratchaburi and he was in Muangthong for the second part of the season,†said Rodriguez. 

“He had just come from Cyprus without a lot of time to adapt and then there was a very intense schedule without time to train. Maybe that was the reason that his performance was good but lacked consistency.†

The talent as well as the pre-season time is there to be a success in Australia, according to Rodriguez. 

“He is a central defender that has a very good aerial game. He is strong in the challenge and passes well with both feet. His building up process is interesting as well and he has a good capacity to score goals in set pieces in attack.â€

The player's specialty is, according to coaches at his most recent close Alaves, incisive diagonal balls from defence that can be sprayed using left or right feet in order to start quick attacks.

Rodriguez tips Borda to impress in the Hyundai A-League. “He can be successful like Sergio Cirio at Adelaide United, Diego Castro at Perth and also Dimas at Western Sydney Wanderers.â€

It is no surprise to Rodriguez that Australian clubs are in the market for Spanish players. “I think because Australia supporters want to watch good football then the Spanish style is something that most people like. 

"These kind of players can add to the process and to the spectacle.â€

Rodriguez, a former assistant at Saudi Arabia, also wouldn't mind the chance to face Borda on the pitch. 

A job in the Hyundai A-League is something he would seriously consider. Compatriot Josep Gombau was so successful in his time at Adelaide United that he was appointed to take over the country's Under-23 team, the Olyroos, last month.

"I have worked two and a half years in Thailand and two in Saudi Arabia and I would like to continue improving as a coach in a league like Australia.

"I think my style of attacking football and a high press is something that can adapted perfectly to Australian football culture. Improving young  players to make a team in order to make supporters happier is something that I always try to do with my teams."

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/who-is-western-sydney-wanderers-new-spanish-signing-aritz-borda/1v90xx8xkplfz1ie7520wlvjtc#sthash.e8Dmw7sb.dpuf

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/who-is-western-sydney-wanderers-new-spanish-signing-aritz-borda/1v90xx8xkplfz1ie7520wlvjtc#0qFVfaJhO0665xKD.99

• 3 months later...

Please don't compare him to Topor. Topor has been a club legend and while he's been poor, don't discount him working his way back and playing a role this year.

Borda has spent most of his career in the spanish 3rd division. We saw why last night

Yeah I was referring to recent perfromance not his status. We all know Topor is a legend.

Borda is journeymen like Pio. Speaks volumes.

Was it a red card offence? I thought there was other defenders close by, or was it a result of the new interpretation.

Looked pretty clear to me. I don't even our players complained he was last man, none of other players had any chance of getting across

Edited by StringerBellend

Was it a red card offence? I thought there was other defenders close by, or was it a result of the new interpretation.

If you are inside the penalty area and deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity you only get a yellow card if the offence was a genuine attempt at a tackle.

Outside the box the usual rules for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity apply. Borda was outside the area = red card.

And then of ******* course just as I predicted to the guy next to me, top corner, goal.

If you are inside the penalty area and deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity you only get a yellow card if the offence was a genuine attempt at a tackle.

Outside the box the usual rules for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity apply. Borda was outside the area = red card.

And then of ******* course just as I predicted to the guy next to me, top corner, goal.

You and about 62000 other people, the only guy in the stadium that didn't predict that was going in the top corner was Redmayne.

It really was a low point wasn't it?

Edited by StringerBellend
  • 2 months later...

Popa was a CB. He has a history of signing good CBs. How we ended up with such a poor defender like Borda, wasting an import spot, I will never understand.

I do not understand how the VIC signed Baro and we ended up with this guy. Are we really paying so little? Or are we naive enough to throw money at a - at best - mediocre overseas player?

• 1 month later...

Rodriguez, 42, believes that his compatriot's short spell in Thailand was due to a lack of time with the club before making his debut.

“He had just come from Cyprus without a lot of time to adapt and then there was a very intense schedule without time to train. Maybe that was the reason that his performance was good but lacked consistency.†

The talent as well as the pre-season time is there to be a success in Australia, according to Rodriguez. 

“He is a central defender that has a very good aerial game. He is strong in the challenge and passes well with both feet. His building up process is interesting as well and he has a good capacity to score goals in set pieces in attack.â€

The player's specialty is, according to coaches at his most recent close Alaves, incisive diagonal balls from defence that can be sprayed using left or right feet in order to start quick attacks.

Rodriguez tips Borda to impress in the Hyundai A-League. “He can be successful like Sergio Cirio at Adelaide United, Diego Castro at Perth and also Dimas at Western Sydney Wanderers.

LOL

Maybe he was inconsistent because he is ****.

His build-up play "interesting" alright.

"Spraying balls" is certainly on the money.

In hindsight there should have been warning signs when this guy was just randomly comparing him to creative players because of his nationality.

Whoever scouted this guy should be sacked. In the likely event that they don't get paid and are just a contact, they should never be listened to again.

Rodriguez tips Borda to impress in the Hyundai A-League. “He can be successful like Sergio Cirio at Adelaide United, Diego Castro at Perth and also Dimas at Western Sydney Wanderers.

LOL

Maybe he was inconsistent because he is ****.

His build-up play "interesting" alright.

"Spraying balls" is certainly on the money.

In hindsight there should have been warning signs when this guy was just randomly comparing him to creative players because of his nationality.

Whoever scouted this guy should be sacked. In the likely event that they don't get paid and are just a contact, they should never be listened to again.

Yep, whoever scouted Borda needs to be dealt with lol Going to have to rip his contract up, I couldn't stand another year watching this chump run around the field!

Is positioning is questionable (he's not alone there) but at least he appears safe under the high ball.

This passage of play led to Hulk having an unchallenged shot on goal

C5wPtipVMAAKCQV.jpg