Squad Development 2016/17 Part 2

I cannot fathom why Autralian players won't just bite the bullet and come home. Kruse would be a marquee for us so he would still earn a decent wage and more importantly would have a coach whose main concern is his wellbeing because he would be a star player not a squaddie. The A-league provides a great environment to improve and get consistency. He's never going to cut it in europe without coming back. But he won't. He'll go on a footballing holiday to China or a small european nation before returning to the a-league in 2 years time at the age of 30 and be like Holman or Cahill.

........because coming home early to the players is like admitting failure and the money is not comparable to overseas,

Member when Bruno had a bad game? Everyone wanted him gone. Now its happening to borda.

Both quality foreigners', I believe borda will come good abd close the border to goals

I admire your optimism, and hope you are right. So far he has been largely dreadful. He started looking a bit better against the Jets but that game against Victory was awful.

Contrast that to Alberto who was sexual

I recall that everyone was creaming about Andreu, and that Dimas was viewed pretty favourably from the outset, but that Alberto sat in the "not-sure-about-this-bloke" box for quite a while at the beginning of his stint.

Borda hasn't shown anything positive yet, but it is still early.

Member when Bruno had a bad game? Everyone wanted him gone. Now its happening to borda.

Both quality foreigners', I believe borda will come good abd close the border to goals

I admire your optimism, and hope you are right. So far he has been largely dreadful. He started looking a bit better against the Jets but that game against Victory was awful.

I recall that everyone was creaming about Andreu, and that Dimas was viewed pretty favourably from the outset, but that Alberto sat in the "not-sure-about-this-bloke" box for quite a while at the beginning of his stint.

I don't know about what others were thinking but from the outset for mine Alberto looked good. Not just his play but the way he organised backline

One thin Borda has is he is a damn handfull on attacking corners.

I give him another 2 matches, if he hasnt improved his mistakes then hes gotta be dropped till hes adjusted and ready. Otherwise whilst we play the same back 4 we cannot play out the back as we have been trying to otherwise a mistake is inevitable.

Yup, I feel like we are so easy to play against.

Give us the lion share of possession in the first half. Let the players run themselves ragged trying to walk the ball into the net, maybe concede a goal or two. Go in all guns blazing second half when we Inevitably drop off. Capitalise on our defensive blunders by a high press, knowing we struggle to play out from the back.

Result. Easy.

Alberto was class from the get go, no to mention the passion to win games for the club was clearly visible after the first derby loss.

Alberto was my player of the season.

so much started from Alberto.

plus slapping Berisha was a highlight of last season

Don't get me wrong - I was a big fan, but early on I felt he just went quietly (and thoroughly) about his business so wasn't as noticed as, say, Andreu, who had the creative brief.

Keogh still doing the business for Perth last night. Such a shame we didn't open the wallet for a consistent goalscorer. Last night was far more encouraging in terms of solidity and structure but we do look toothless going forward. If I ever see Jumpei and Castelan or Hersi mentioned in the same sentence I will have to choke down substantial amounts of bile.

@Mack

The club seems to be under the impression that Bruno signed a two year contract.

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/player/bruno-pinatares/1pubylwm5ijn217gjwlm44qgir

When you look at the list of players who joined the club and who were fitted with two year contracts, and considering how outstanding most of them have been so far - one has to wonder if they have a sobbing room in the Basement at WSW headquarters. Some place where people can cry and shed tears in private.

Aritz Borda
Jack Clisby
Jacob Melling
Jumpei Kusukami
Kerem Bulut
Robbie Cornthwaite
Steven Lustica

Bruno Pinatares

When you look at the list of players who joined the club and who were fitted with two year contracts, and considering how outstanding most of them have been so far - one has to wonder if they have a sobbing room in the Basement at WSW headquarters. Some place where people can cry and shed tears in private.

Aritz Borda

Jack Clisby

Jacob Melling

Jumpei Kusukami

Kerem Bulut

Robbie Cornthwaite

Steven Lustica

Bruno Pinatares

We all know contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on these days. I still maintain they were only signed for longer deals due to having another ACL campaign and not wanting a squad gutted if we happen to progress further.

Sotirio has 2 more seasons after this one, that is a depressing thought.

I thought he played unusually well this time round.

We seem to have a good record when he is on the field. I think he is one of those players who helps the team more than himself. I don't mind him so much as I like his attitude. Although I know he is universally hated on this forum.

Sotirio has 2 more seasons after this one, that is a depressing thought.

I thought he played unusually well this time round.

I'm generally a sotirio supporter, there is a decent player in there somewhere, but he was absolutely terrible on Friday night. Lost the ball everytime he touched it and gave stupid free kicks away.

it's a big season here for him, needs to transition from bit part youth player to a proper a League player

Sortirio is a pest towards other teams. Santalab is also a pest. We need more players with this type of attitude. They annoy the hell out of other teams, and from this frustration comes errors. I like players like this.

They reminded me of those guys you played in a game when you were a kid and you knew you easily had their measure. But for the whole game they would be in your face and hacking at you. By the end of the game you would come away pissed off because they didn't give you any breathing space. Now the whole team doesn't have to be like this, but we need a few more of our attacking players pressing a bit more. Pressing is also a bit of an art. You have to press at the right time in the right places. Right and left backs are usually the most vulnerable.

Well Sotirio was in the move that ended in a goal. Not saying he did anything particularly brilliant, but he was part of it.

He's a squaddie. He's not the issue. The issue is that the Topor roster spot was meant for another attacker and we don't have one. If we did, Sotirio would be an ACL guy who could back up on little rest and as filler when people got injured.

Sotirio is a pest to our own team. He gives the ball away constantly, can't get past anyone and can't pass or cross and his defence is nothing special at all. I guarantee no opposition club in history has ever thought "oh ****, it's Sotirio".

You know who is an actual pest? Matt Simon. You know why? Because he is a pest to the defenders but can actually shoot and use his head to score.

• mack unpinned this topic