South American world cup qualifying

Love the South American qualifying! None of this group stuff, everyone in one big epic competition! One or two of the big teams always starts slow, but there's plenty of time to come good.

As a Colombian fan this was the worst day. Every team Colombia wanted to win, lost.

After the issues the Argies had and then Messi coming out and saying they needed to pull together if they were going to qualify, it was only going to go one way. I guess there was a slight chance that they would stay in the mire, but unlikely.

Pekerman is a clown. 80% of the good stuff Colombia does comes through James, and he continues to stick him out on the wing. Whenever they get desperate James comes looking for the ball and sometimes ends up collecting it from the CBs, or he tries too hard from the minimal ball he gets on the wing. It's crazy. Just stick him at 10 and go through him. Then if the defence focus on him you've got wide guys like Cuadrado to hurt em.

peru with their first away win in 12 years last week against paraguay. Brazil sure to qualify now with their 2-0 win over Peru, all quiet now until march.

Bolivias stuff up givin a few nations the 3 points means the battle for the final spots will be interesting. Home advantage is numero uno in sth america.

• 4 months later...

3 games on Bein at the same time - what to watch??

Colombia got lucky today. Deserved to win, but huffed and puffed for 80 minutes with nothing to show for it. 

To be fair, they had some unlucky misses and goalmouth scrambles, and should have had a penalty a minute before the ref gave a dodgy one (think it was a make up call). But then James first attempt got saved and he stuck in the rebound.

It's jammed up as always in the table - Paraguay currently beating Ecuador which would really make things congested between 3rd and 7th. Or even 2nd and 7th if Brasil manage to beat Uruguay in Montevideo (currently 1-1).

3 pts separate 2nd - 6th, 5 pts separate 2nd - 7th!

Hotting up!

FUzUvAp.png

4 qualify, 5th plays Oceania.

The big teams are looking good to qualify. Brasil just destroyed Uruguay in Montevideo, which is unheard of.

I don't watch much European club football anymore, but if Messi is still considered the best then he must be amazing, because Neymar is unbelievable. So clinical. Give him a chance, no matter where or how he needs to finish it, and he'll do it. And he comes back to provide link up play too. Pure talisman.

Chile coming good and will probably rise up. They had chances against Argentina, including Sanchez hitting the bar from a free, and if they had drawn they'd be 3rd, instead they are 6th!

It looks like the battle for 5th will probably come down to Colombia and Ecuador, who play each other on Wednesday. Colombia then have an easier path home, only playing one of the teams above them in the last 4 games. By contrast, Ecuador have Brasil, Argies, and Chile. Ecuador really have to beat Colombia to have a decent chance of qualifying. Lose, and they are gone. Draw and they are still in it but it will be very tough. Pretty sure Colombia will settle for a draw.

I think that the big 4 will qualify direct, and Colombia will face off with Oceania. That said, it is tight enough that one major upset could change everything.

Suspended for 4 games for abuse, only hours before the next game. Not dodgy at all!

My revised prediction (this may need to be revised after every game haha. I don't know why I always think South American qualifying is decided!):

* Brasil - already qualified

* Uruguay have a reasonably soft run, playing away to Venezuela and then home to Bolivia (who have not picked up a single point away from their ridiculously elevated home ground) in the last two games.

The rest is really up for grabs now. Argies were playing average with Messi. Without...

Whether Brasil field full strength teams will also have a big impact. Colombia play them in Colombia and Chile are away to them in the last round.

At this point I'm thinking Argies will struggle to get into top 4 unless the Messi ban is overturned. I think it'll come down to the last day, but I'll plump for Uruguay, Colombia and Chile to round out the top 4, and Argies to totally annihilate New Zealand. 

and Argies to totally annihilate New Zealand. 

Messi against Andrew Durante...can't wait!

The ban is so ludicrous...watch any South American game and every player swears at the ref constantly. 

Watched the Bolivia - Arg games...I don't know how any visiting teams can play there. I was at similar altitudes when I was over there, and the first thing they tell you is 'take it easy, don't run!'. You can be out of breath from a slightly eager walk, let alone running. You could see it today...the Argies would have acres of space in front of them but they just couldn't keep going. 

• 6 months later...
46 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Wow man. Just wow.

4 of the games had an impact on the results. Incredible stuff. How can an epic 18 game qualifying group come down to the last game and still have 7 of 10 teams alive.

In all those countries they live and breathe football.

big players/great players step up on big occassions. We saw Guerrero and his stunning free kick, messi hat trick single handily get argies through, and cahills reliable forehead to the job for the socceroos.

NZ will have done a bit more homework than last time when they encountered Mexico home and away but playin in Lima to a country who hasn't qualified since 1982 on the return leg will be a big task.

• 5 months later...

International Friendlies on SBS

Saturday 24th March
SBS ONE
Live International Football: Peru v Croatia
1115-1345 AEST Live to All (ko 1130)

Wednesday 28th March
SBS ONE
Live International Football: Peru v Iceland
1045-1315 AEST Live to All (ko 1100)

• 1 year later...

I think this 2022 world cup will be an important one for some of the greatest players of my generation at least as it will be the last WC for some of these players i love to watch like Messi, Suarez, Sanchez, Vidal, Canvani, Aguero, Godin just to name a few out of the south american qualifiers, they will be very hard to replace after this next world cup. So hopefully this world cup they will all have something to prove and provide us with some great qualifiers.

Brazil is the only country looking like a powerhouse that will continue to bring in superstars like Jesus, Countinho, Everton, Neres, Marquinhos, Ederson.. Their team is worth pretty much $1 billion and the next closest is Argentina at around $600-650 mil then Uruguay at around $350-400 mil. They will take our the Copa this year more than likely as they are just too strong in South America unless they are having a bad day on the field.