Rotated Wanderers Secure Draw Record

A rotated Wanderers lineup completed a second half-comeback to draw 2-2 in Adelaide, and in the process secured the A-League seasonal draw record with 12 draws.

Tony Popovic elected to bring back failed foreign players Aritz Borda & Bruno Pinatares, as well as giving places to Keanu Baccus, Abraham Majok, Mario Shabow, Stefan Zinni & Steven Lustica. The changes didn't help the Wanderers in the first half, as Adelaide took control of the game and grabbed the advantage after 8 minutes when Artiz Borda gave away a silly penalty with a diving tackle against Eli Babalj. Marcelo Carrusca stepped up to the stop and calmly sent Vedran Janjetovic the wrong way.

Just before half-time it went from bad to worse for the visitors as Adelaide profited from an offside goal to Dylan McGowan. Having failed to clear a corner, the ball bounced to Sergio Cirio who smashed the ball back across goal. Despite the Video Review system being in place, the man in the booth declined to overturn the clearly offside goal. It was the second mistake from the VAR booth, as they also let Iacopo La Rocca rugby tackle Ryan Griffiths in the penalty box but go unpunished.

Nico Martinez should have found a goal with two glorious chances. In the 18th minute he sent a curling shot centimetres wide, then in first half stoppage time had a penalty. La Rocca with a clear handball from a Shannon Cole cross, but Eugene Galekovic dived to his right to keep out the poorly taken, stutter step run-up penalty shot.

The Wanderers started their comeback after an hour, as Lustica thumped a free kick off the crossbar, with Delgado in the right place at the right time and heading into the empty net for 2-1.

La Rocca finally give away a much earned penalty in the 73rd minute as Cole was absolutely pole-axed and sent flying. With Nico off the field, Steven Lustica stepped up and took his penalty with aplomb, burying it in the corner. The last 10 could have gone either way, the final moments of the game seeing Adelaide denied a late winning goal for a correctly given offside call.

The Wanderers final position will depend on the final games of the round, while Adelaide have a couple of Asian Champions League matches to look forward to before their season is over.

View full article

So EmMac, for once my boundless optimism comes thru.

"The Jack Clisby Experience" now have a title to defend at the royal oak, not that I did much, I think Manfred carried us,much like cornthwaite did on screen.

Yes I did get the impression that regulars were a bit miffed.

I now wish I had done a Kerem Bulut style goal celebration when they announced the winner

I'm glad Dimas scored I still like him and his ace hair

"Rotated Wanderers Secure Draw Record"

Lol...

To match a less than fluent performance, although things picked up a lot in the 2nd half, that headline is one of your least fluent, Mack.  :lol:

And to Taurus, for the post above.... :o

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Blue moon 

giphy.gif

For their second offside goal, I think the VAR wasn't used because it's only meant to be used for 'howlers'. With only the one foot offside it's more like a 50/50 call with advantage to the attacking team. That's my interpretation. I can't comment on the rugby tackle though.

Keanue Baccus one to watch watch for the future. He had a shocking first half but in the second half really stepped up and dominated our right side. Lustica has done a lot to be considered for next season was instrumental in our second half come back.

Corthwaite deserved his MOTM award a goal saving tackle and true leader on the pitch

For their second offside goal, I think the VAR wasn't used because it's only meant to be used for 'howlers'. With only the one foot offside it's more like a 50/50 call with advantage to the attacking team. That's my interpretation. I can't comment on the rugby tackle though.

And that is where the frustration will be for fans. What is considered an "obvious mistake"? At what percentage of offside is it considered to be an obvious mistake? Not saying that they definitely should have pulled the second goal back, but just questioning at what level of mistakedness does it become obvious?

Also, what happens if a players commits a red card offence (or even a second yellow) between a non-goal call (or non-penalty call) and when they stop play to award the goal or penalty?

I've heard the same thing but it makes no sense. If you have conclusive footage showing he was offside who cares whether it was close? Use the video to get the correct decision. Especially when it's a goal and play has already stopped.

Also who decides where the line is between "howler" and "standard a-league referee"? In this case the VAR has checked the footage and determined that the decision was wrong, but because it's wasn't wrong enough they let the incorrect decision stand.

* I like Pinatares. Clisby got a bit of a rep when he produced one hard tackle earlier this season, but Bruno is a proper enforcer. He hurts people.

* What the hell was Dimas doing taking that last free kick? Lustica was on fire, he'd rattled the bar from the same spot earlier so he'd had a sighter, and Dimas comes over and puts it straight into the wall. He'd just scored from the rebound of the previous free, what possesses him to think he should be the one taking the next one?? 

* If we had more games that meant nothing then Borda would be my favourite player just for his sheer entertainment value. It's just a pity he played in so many games where the points mattered! I still can't work out what he was doing for that pen, sliding in behind someone who was of little danger at that point. And this following on from the other night when he inexplicably fell over just because he was trying to slightly change direction as he backpedalled! Comical. Whoever scouted him should never be allowed in a football ground again for the rest of their life.

* LUSTICA! What was going on? After that free he turned into a different player. Little turns, touches, stepping up to take pens. On the other hand, Shannon didn't do his chances of another contract much good. Not his best.

* Second half was a shock. Probably gives us a bit more confidence going into the finals thinking the backups can do a job (though I doubt they'll do much against the top teams, it's a nice illusion to have if we never have to test it!)

Yep that's that it's there for - ie howlers

It was borderline at best; Mack for some reason has his red and black glasses firmly on I've got no problem with that goal standing for it to be recalled there was to be clear daylight and in this instance it wasn't.

The game itself was quite entertaining especially as we came back into it second half. Adelaide have many players who clearly don't care anymore clear out needed

Solid hit out before the finals

Personally prefer vision city their defence is more suspect think we can expose them. Roar away a bit tougher

So EmMac, for once my boundless optimism comes thru.

"The Jack Clisby Experience" now have a title to defend at the royal oak, not that I did much, I think Manfred carried us,much like cornthwaite did on screen.

Yes I did get the impression that regulars were a bit miffed.

I now wish I had done a Kerem Bulut style goal celebration when they announced the winnerI'm glad Dimas scored I still like him and his ace hair

Lol, i wish you'd done a kerum bulut as well. Good night was had

Adelaide have ACL to look forward to sure but we have semis and we're going there on the back of a fantastic second half performance from a second string crew. When I met Bruno pre season I thought he looked proper Uruguayan chiseled concrete and he played that way. Our record breaking draw season trumps easily FC's record breaking points season. In any case it's good to be sweating on results and getting trigger happy with booking an away trip for next Friday night.

"Rotated Wanderers Secure Draw Record"

Lol...

To match a less than fluent performance, although things picked up a lot in the 2nd half, that headline is one of your least fluent, Mack.  :lol:

And to Taurus, for the post above.... :o

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

It's a perfected cromulent headline.

OK. If you say so.

PS I "Liked" your post...now I'll go and find out what it means! lol.

:D :D

I've heard the same thing but it makes no sense. If you have conclusive footage showing he was offside who cares whether it was close? Use the video to get the correct decision. Especially when it's a goal and play has already stopped.

Also who decides where the line is between "howler" and "standard a-league referee"? In this case the VAR has checked the footage and determined that the decision was wrong, but because it's wasn't wrong enough they let the incorrect decision stand.

I've only seen the footage live. I haven't seen a replay, but I don't think it was conclusive. The video is in an angle. And not straight so that plays a role as well.

it is a tough one. And it's only been in a week. We are stuck with it now, so I hope that it does get better over the coming weeks/next year.

Press worked well in second half.

I reckon lustica is worth keeping as a squaddie -especially with a new squad next season that actually has wingers so he doesn't have to play out of position.

We are looking at another total tear down and rebuild for next season - of the team that ran out on Saturday I reckon only corny, the keeper and baccus jr are nailed on to be back. The rest, who knows.....

I've only seen the footage live. I haven't seen a replay, but I don't think it was conclusive. The video is in an angle. And not straight so that plays a role as well.

it is a tough one. And it's only been in a week. We are stuck with it now, so I hope that it does get better over the coming weeks/next year.

I thought it was offside but I'm not too worried about it as they're supposed to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team. If people are arguing over it even after a replay I can live with it being allowed.

I have more of a problem with Griffiths being dragged down in the box and getting nothing. The referee saw enough to wave it away so he knew something happened, plus the tv coverage showed a replay so they saw it. Surely the video referee looked at it but didn't give it. Since they've brought in the VAR they've overturned one decision and appeared to miss several more.

Yeah I cant comment on that decision. Maybe because the on field referee saw it they went with his decision. If he didn't see it then it may have been different. I'm not certain, just guessing like the rest of us

Edited by GK21

I thought it was offside but I'm not too worried about it as they're supposed to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team. If people are arguing over it even after a replay I can live with it being allowed.

I have more of a problem with Griffiths being dragged down in the box and getting nothing. The referee saw enough to wave it away so he knew something happened, plus the tv coverage showed a replay so they saw it. Surely the video referee looked at it but didn't give it. Since they've brought in the VAR they've overturned one decision and appeared to miss several more.

We have to allow for the fact that the VARs are the same clowns (Strebre excluded) who make or used to make the decisions on the field. Also, it's a bit like tobacco companies funding "research" into the link between smoking and lung cancer. I suspect they're happy for it to serve as a demonstration of how good their decision making is on the field. You have to wonder how many of them have actually played the game. I'd take the standard of refereeing we see in the ACL any day of the week (though that last guy in Campbelltown was a bit of a dud... maybe make allowances for it being his first gig).

You could also make the case that var decisions won't be called unless there is a break in play and I can see in the future coaches instructing players to stay down injured.

The larocca one was a penalty on replay but it was play on and not reviewed properly.

I like that they only call back ones that are absolute howlers. That being said, issues like the ones we faced - shirt-pulling - are going to come up and if they don't give that a penalty then they are going to let players get away with it, because the refs will respond to the var by not calling rather than calling.

We also get the situation where the more examples like the shirt-pulling one come up, the more they are likely to start interfering on ones that are not quite howlers. Then you are on the slippery slope.

I like the goal-line officials more. If you can't get the right result with three people - a ref, linesman, and goal line official - you've got problems. 

Goal line tech. Yes. Maybe in the future it will be developed to help with offside and ball going out of play in general pitch.

Assistant officials on the goal-line. I don't think they help at all anyway but might as well use them I guess.

VAR can **** right off. Unlike cricket, where a "howler" is for most events easy to measure (even LBW using hawkeye), WSW got denied an obvious penalty, and had a goal that was offside allowed against them. Phoenix got robbed by the VAR against SFC.

Right now it's a half-arsed system that is going to always benefit the FFA's preferred sides (since the referees know which teams the FFA want to support, hell, the FFA board have two Sydney FC owners on it), it isn't going to "get decisions right", it's going to change some decisions that it shouldn't, it's going to award penalties it shouldn't, and it's going to screw over teams who aren't the FFA's chosen pair (SFC & City).

Goal line tech. Yes. Maybe in the future it will be developed to help with offside and ball going out of play in general pitch.

Assistant officials on the goal-line. I don't think they help at all anyway but might as well use them I guess.

VAR can **** right off. Unlike cricket, where a "howler" is for most events easy to measure (even LBW using hawkeye), WSW got denied an obvious penalty, and had a goal that was offside allowed against them. Phoenix got robbed by the VAR against SFC.

Right now it's a half-arsed system that is going to always benefit the FFA's preferred sides (since the referees know which teams the FFA want to support, hell, the FFA board have two Sydney FC owners on it), it isn't going to "get decisions right", it's going to change some decisions that it shouldn't, it's going to award penalties it shouldn't, and it's going to screw over teams who aren't the FFA's chosen pair (SFC & City).

I would rather that we get another 2 assistant referees who would have no responsibility for offside and run the opposite side line to the current assistant referee ie the leftwing/rightback only to look for fouls.

Lustica...what a player! Where have you been?? Happy to keep him as a squaddie. Same with Bruno, I think he has potential, obviously Baccus got ahead of him this year and rightly so, but Bruno is dare I say what La Rocca was for us...a hard man in midfield but with decent touch as well...that ball in the end to Hamill was great...he's definitely better than Dimas. He's just so...Uruguayan. 

Dimas taking that free-kick was unbelievable, literally not a single justifiable thing about that decision. 

Baby Baccus' future excites me the most, has the same ability to drive forward as his bro. Understandably had a shaky start but for only his second ever senior game it was a great second half performance.

Mate you don't actually believe that conspiracy stuff do you? It makes me feel embarrassed for you if ya do.