Jumpei Loses Shootout After Sotirio Send Off

The second half of the season was my kind of team. Not flashy but tough, hard to beat, committed and with a solid sprinkling of OUR homegrown players.

I'm not in the 'top 2 or it's a miserable failure' camp. I want a team that represents me and my region and I feel that Santa, baccus, aspro, antonis, corny, clisby, neville and yes even janjetovic 100% did that from January onwards.

I'm with you. Here are my viciously hungover thoughts from the game.

I am immensely proud of the boys & their efforts last night. Were they perfect? No. It's the a-league. Did they give absolutely everything and fight really hard at a really difficult place to come? **** yes.

Cornflakes, Aspro, Antonis & Santa were absolute heroes tonight.

Ultimately, after we lost, there was absolutely zero part of me that wished I supported Brisbane. And that is how I feel whenever we lose one of these finals games. Their fans left to take shelter from the rain?! We stayed & clapped all our boys cos they deserved it.

You could see in people like Santa & Neville's faces how much our support means to them. Other clubs just do not have that. Jumpei was absolutely devastated but we gave him a little chant and he did the Japanese head bow thing. It was great to see the boys run up ro him as soon as he missed, and Nico basically had his arm around from thst moment until they left the field. It really made me feel a lot better about the loss because I was proud of not just their footballing efforts, but the culture of our team & fans.

Was it a good season? No, we finished sixth. Was it this catastrophe that some are describing it as? Absolutely ******* not. I'm not going to rehash the points I've made plenty of times before...the club certainly deserves criticism for some off the field stuff. But on the field, I absolutely do not care about our recruitment, alleged cheapness, etc. Football is not about transfers to me. You see those idiots on Arsenal fantv shouting how Wenger is cheap and it makes me cringe. It's not easy to get transfers right, snd especially with all the unique constraints of the a-league.

5 years ago, I had no team. Since then, I've experienced highs that most football fans will never experience, let alone in the first ******* five years of their existence. Is our club perfect? No. But as a fan, all you can ask is the players do their absolute best, & with some exceptions, we have that.

Do I think we can improve on some players in our squad? Of course. But even if the exact same team turned up next year, I'd be there supporting them, because being a Wanderers fan, even at Soulless, is an incomparable feeling in the a-league.

Love you all, even the whingers!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :good: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep saying that there is a player in there somewhere wit sotirio, but last night was totally brainless. To come on and get sent off for two yellows inside of about 15mins. Any player with half a brain would have toned it down after the first card, but no he goes charging in completely unnecessary.

How many times have I mentioned that Sotirio has nothing between his ears. He is a player with no football Intelligence at all. Drives me mental with the bad decisions he makes on the field. As soon as he came on within 3-5 mins he gives away a yellow card. The yellow card itself was in a nuetral zone on the field with no possible threat of a goal. A foul for the sake of a foul. The second yellow was even worse. Again in a nuetral part of the field going through a player with absolutely no chance of winning the ball. You couldn't get any dumber if you tried.

If we can start next season with a solid core and recruit from there then we can look on this year as a building block not withstanding the awful stewardship of Tsatsimas who should be given a holiday in the Parra river with complimentary concrete boots. Completely overseen the abject failure of continuing the club for the people of Western Sydney that Lyall tapped in to so well. Tsatsimas absolute fraud of a man with no community spine whatsoever.

Snake - one clanger against Brissy earlier but has been immense and you can see it means a lot to him to play for a team that stands for where he is from

Clisby - HAL starter squad player. Can't have stars in every spot and he's done well to lock this spot in with reasonable performances.

Cornflakes - Went from being a Borda like player to NTS at his peak after a shaky start. Makes the centre feel solid. It's what you need.

Aspro - Still developing but looks nervous on the ball and his distribution is generally woeful. Needs to add this to his vision in marking to step up next season

Neville - likely to be replaced by Risdon but has put heart and soul in. Hooefully Risdon will do the same but add in his better crossing to boot.

Baccus - Finally someone who has stepped up from junior ranks. Couldn't see it but he's come on leaps and bounds but reminds us how poor our recruitment is that the foreign players are pushed aside

Antonis - Immense. Probably will head back to Europe but he's the positive kind of player we need rather than a Dimas who was the wrong Spaniard kept this season.

Santa - The only player in front 4 worth keeping. But needs a genuine striker to share the load.

Out - Mitch (fallen away so much and can't see how he'll get an overseas gig). Would keep if he was last year's Mitch.

Nico (fell away 2nd half of season much like last night - we need a 90 minute playmaker if he's going to cost what we should gave paid for him)

Jumpei - Underpowered, lazy defensively leaving Neville exposed too often, flicks and tricks but zero end product. Waste of visa spot.

Some of the other squaddies will remain of course but you have to question tge likes of Sotirio nut just for last night but his overall contribution given how much time he's been given. Just another Connor Pain like player who just isn't good enough. Lachlan Scott need to get back to youth league before quietly being jettisoned back to NPL. Just never going to be good enough.

I'm not that disappointed by last night. If you finish bottom half of the A-League you can't complain about getting knocked out of the post season cup rightfully early plus a shonky shyster FFA outfit don't get to gouge folks of Western Sydney.

Player of the season? - David Squires. On the mark too many times to mention.

Now where's my freaking plane back to Sydney Jetstar!

The second half of the season was my kind of team. Not flashy but tough, hard to beat, committed and with a solid sprinkling of OUR homegrown players.

I'm not in the 'top 2 or it's a miserable failure' camp. I want a team that represents me and my region and I feel that Santa, baccus, aspro, antonis, corny, clisby, neville and yes even janjetovic 100% did that from January onwards.

But as a fan, all you can ask is the players do their absolute best.

I agree. Has the club as a whole done the absolute best as well though?

I am hoping that S5 was a learning opportunity for the decision makers, and that they grab it with both hands.

Love you too.

But as a fan, all you can ask is the players do their absolute best.

I agree. Has the club as a whole done the absolute best as well though?

I am hoping that S5 was a learning opportunity for the decision makers, and that they grab it with both hands.

Love you too.

While we are at it...i love you all.....lol

Just didnt want to miss out on the WSF love in :-)

Vedran made some saves that no keeper has a right too. Cornflakes and Astro were ace, and Antonis / Baccus as a combo are quality too. I have no time for this Jumpei pity party. Spent most of the game on his backside flexing one muscle or another, offered nothing at either end of the pitch and bottled the pen. Not acceptable.

Other people (luisenrique in particular) have summed up the season far better than I could, but it has been a poor one. Bad recruitment at the start killed us.

Vedran made some saves that no keeper has a right too. Cornflakes and Astro were ace, and Antonis / Baccus as a combo are quality too. I have no time for this Jumpei pity party. Spent most of the game on his backside flexing one muscle or another, offered nothing at either end of the pitch and bottled the pen. Not acceptable.

Other people (luisenrique in particular) have summed up the season far better than I could, but it has been a poor one. Bad recruitment at the start killed us.

I'm glad to read that jumpei was respectful to fans. And I agree that it wasn't his fault- he is who he is. But that pen was only ever going to go like that, cramp or no cramp. As soon as he stepped up it was over in my book saving some absurdly good fortune.

And in a way it's fitting, symbolic of the season. We didn't make it through because of him (not him alone, but you know what I mean) and the season was what it was because of inadequate foreigners.

On top of this, Santa aside, yet again we have been undone, long term and short term, by a complete lack of instinct up front. We're only going to pull off the toilet seat once we have a front third that have that.

Edited by marron

#PopaOut

We did what Smurfs and VIC did last season: play ACL without additional players, but with the extended HAL squad - plus a mediocre FMD J2 player. Worked a treat. Why? To save money?

Not a single proven goal scorer was signed. The hole was there in Rd1, and was never plugged. Why?

We were told in the off season how the incoming players had lifted the quality of the squad, and how happy the club was. The bulk of the squad had been assembled in July. But only three players who started the Rd 1 debacle were in the starting XI last night. How did we end up with such a construction site that just kept dragging on?

How did the club end up negotiating with a guest player candidate who would not be approved by FFA? Incomptetence? If so, by whom?

The list goes on. Makes a lot of material for an interesting post mortem. Looks like a cluster **** up at board/exec level to me.

If this crap season means the end of delusional pipe dreams at the WSW, and translates into re-discovering ambition, then I am all for PopaIn.

Others have assessed the season better than me - agree that had we got recruitment even half right at the start (no borda, no jumpei for example) and having signed a proven striker, we could have turned many of those draws into wins.

Last night we played to win from the start, an attitude/approach missing from many of our games this season. There was a hunger and drive from the first whistle. It was fantastic. I can't help but wonder why that's not been our modus operandi. We spend too much time finding our rhythm, addressing the opposition positioning, reacting and chasing rather than taking hold of the game - it shouldn't take 45mins to get into it. 

So yeah, a lot of coulda, woulda, shoulda.....which made it such a frustrating ride. If I could hope for three things in our off-season/recruitment period its that we get our passing much more accurate and creative (honestly though, this is the minimum we should expect of ourselves....the amount of times we gave away the ball so cheaply....it all adds up), stop pithing around with the ball out the back with absolute zero profit, and get at least two real quality recruits. At least.

I think positives for this season is the emergence if Baccus and Aspro to being first 11 players. Keanu Baccus and Lachlan Scott are two to look out for the future (maybe within 2 years time to be first 11).

Our season would have gone better had we had the team from January at the beginning. Recuitment is number one priority for next season, the foreign quota should be used in 3 specific areas:

Winger, centre midfield (bonavacia may have taken that position) and a striker (please for once have a good striker). Lets get the champions league out of the way and see what sort of team we have at the end

Was a good performance last night with the usual missed chances in the first half cost us and snake blisken kept us in it, but it was the brain fart of Sotirio hurt us and I thought Jumpei actually played well but his shoot fukin is horrible as seen by his penalty shot. Roar are a quality outfit who in the second half double teamed Nico and adjusted well in stopping any attacking play that we had in the first half. I don't see them getting through to gf now with the amount of game time played last night going up a fresh victards team, I was very impressed with joe caletti? Who is a western Sydney youth we could look into.

End of a hard season that I'd like to forget and Popa has his work cut out for him with a rebuilt and needs to piss off the dead wood of the Borda type players and bring in proper quality imports or we could lose more fans.

Erebus, thoughts?

#VintageJumpei

Its a shame Cornthwaite stopped running after Borello shot. He probably thought it was wide or in. Then when it hit the post and came back into the penalty spot he was like "oh %h1T!" and ran again, but McClaren didn't stop so was ahead of him.

If Corn kept up his speed he would have been there first.

He also hit the best penalty of the night.

The red card screwed us though and Santa made sure to point that out multiple times to Tara.

But we should have been 3-0 at Half Time.

Story of the season.

Edited by Erebus

Erebus, thoughts?

#VintageJumpei

Its a shame Cornthwaite stopped running after Borello shot. He probably thought it was wide or in. Then when it hit the post and came back into the penalty spot he was like "oh %h1T!" and ran again, but McClaren didn't stop so was ahead of him.

If Corn kept up his speed he would have been there first.

He also hit the best penalty of the night.

The red card screwed us though and Santa made sure to point that out multiple times to Tara.

But we should have been 3-0 at Half Time.

Story of the season.

Red card did screw us but it was totally are own doing (well sotirios) ref made the right decision Edited by StringerBellend

I am immensely proud of the boys & their efforts last night. Were they perfect? No. It's the a-league. Did they give absolutely everything and fight really hard at a really difficult place to come? **** yes.

Ultimately, after we lost, there was absolutely zero part of me that wished I supported Brisbane. And that is how I feel whenever we lose one of these finals games. Their fans left to take shelter from the rain?! We stayed & clapped all our boys cos they deserved it.

You could see in people like Santa & Neville's faces how much our support means to them. Other clubs just do not have that. Jumpei was absolutely devastated but we gave him a little chant and he did the Japanese head bow thing. It was great to see the boys run up ro him as soon as he missed, and Nico basically had his arm around from thst moment until they left the field. It really made me feel a lot better about the loss because I was proud of not just their footballing efforts, but the culture of our team & fans.

Was it a good season? No, we finished sixth. Was it this catastrophe that some are describing it as? Absolutely ******* not. I'm not going to rehash the points I've made plenty of times before...the club certainly deserves criticism for some off the field stuff. But on the field, I absolutely do not care about our recruitment, alleged cheapness, etc. Football is not about transfers to me. You see those idiots on Arsenal fantv shouting how Wenger is cheap and it makes me cringe. It's not easy to get transfers right, snd especially with all the unique constraints of the a-league.

5 years ago, I had no team. Since then, I've experienced highs that most football fans will never experience, let alone in the first ******* five years of their existence. Is our club perfect? No. But as a fan, all you can ask is the players do their absolute best, & with some exceptions, we have that.

Do I think we can improve on some players in our squad? Of course. But even if the exact same team turned up next year, I'd be there supporting them, because being a Wanderers fan, even at Soulless, is an incomparable feeling in the a-league.

That's a fantastic summation of our season, and of last night,  Luisenrique! It hit just the right note for me and lots of others, obviously.

The whole post, but especially this

"You could see in people like Santa & Neville's faces how much our support means to them. Other clubs just do not have that. Jumpei was absolutely devastated but we gave him a little chant and he did the Japanese head bow thing. It was great to see the boys run up to him as soon as he missed, and Nico basically had his arm around from this moment until they left the field. It really made me feel a lot better about the loss because I was proud of not just their footballing efforts, but the culture of our team & fans."  

reminds me of Season 1, and some of our best ever moments.

It reminds me of the best we can be (eg our stadium wide support for Dino). We haven't seen too much of that this season, and I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Well done mate!   :good: 

That's a fantastic summation of our season, and of last night,  Luisenrique! It hit just the right note for me and lots of others, obviously.

"You could see in people like Santa & Neville's faces how much our support means to them. Other clubs just do not have that. Jumpei was absolutely devastated but we gave him a little chant and he did the Japanese head bow thing. It was great to see the boys run up to him as soon as he missed, and Nico basically had his arm around from this moment until they left the field. It really made me feel a lot better about the loss because I was proud of not just their footballing efforts, but the culture of our team & fans."  

reminds me of Season 1, and some of our best ever moments.

It reminds me of the best we can be (eg our stadium wide support for Dino). We haven't seen too much of that this season, and I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Well said Wendy (and of course luisenrique) - my thoughts too.

Just a little while ago I was telling my wife how pleased I was with how the supporters (including myself I'm glad to say) tried to comfort Jumpei when he came over after the match.

"You could see in people like Santa & Neville's faces how much our support means to them. Other clubs just do not have that. Jumpei was absolutely devastated but we gave him a little chant and he did the Japanese head bow thing. It was great to see the boys run up to him as soon as he missed, and Nico basically had his arm around from this moment until they left the field. It really made me feel a lot better about the loss because I was proud of not just their footballing efforts, but the culture of our team & fans."   reminds me of Season 1, and some of our best ever moments.

Well said Wendy (and of course luisenrique) - my thoughts too.

Just a little while ago I was telling my wife how pleased I was with how the supporters (including myself I'm glad to say) tried to comfort Jumpei when he came over after the match.

As I said on the match thread, on the tele, it was VERY touching  to watch Jumpei being looked after.

It was Nico first, who put his arm around him and kept it there protectively.... for ages.

Then it was Mitch, who did much the same.

After that,  Jumpei went over to the Away bay, and hung back, looking utterly gutted.... and hesitant about whether fans would want him there.

Someone reached out to him, he came over, and it was heartwarming to see everyone close by  reach out to ruffle his hair, pat him on the shoulder or give him a hug.  :xnod:

It must be such a hard thing to come to terms with.

Hey all Happy back again :)

Luisenrique. I have to say you have written my words :)

I am gutted after an absolutely Fantastic performance by the team, but at the end of the day we finished where we finished.

Last night 3 things cost us the game not all 3 but 3 things

1, We needed to finish a couple of chances in the first half, Brendan had 2 fantastic opportunities and Nicolas created another opportunity.

So we go in at halftime 2 up :)

2, Jaushua gets sent off would not have happened had the first thing happened.

3, Jumpie missing the penalty would not have happened had the first thing happened.

So in my view the team (all the team) represented the Western Sydney Wanderers very proudly , it was a joy to watch the work the team did in all parts of the park.

I am going to say if we can hold to all of the starting last night and add another attacking forward and an attacking Midfielder for next year we will finish in the top 2.

So to criticise that team last is totally unfair given a better start to the season who know where we would have finished convert half of those draws to wins would have added 12 points to our total would have put us 1 point behind Victory in 3rd who knows the result from there.

We lost 7 games for the season second to East Sydney FC and equal with Victory, not a bad effort !!!!

Popa remains an important part of us and we should not wish him gone because you may just wish him back , he will get his premiership next year !!!!!.

Jumpie is unfairly being criticised, I think he is a fantastic player and last night was joy to watch him and next year will be his year , please remember these words next year.

Josh Risdon will bring fantastic skills but geez Scott Neville is a legend !!!

Sadly we missed out on Fabio Ferreria at the death.

And Roly Bonavacia will be extra strength and attacking options to the midfield.

A Centre Forward to Support Brendan Santalab while young Jaushua Sotirio and Lachlan Scott develop their skills

I am and always will be Happy and a Western Sydney Wanderer and supporting the Wanderers this is life.

Happy Needs a good night sleep by for now !!!!