Football Manager

Meanwhile in my inferior fm, I'm top of the table with Shrewsbury town ;)

Question though: is playing on the counter at home a valid plan? Different when you're away because you typically defend more at away games and hit back.

I've set it to clear balls to flanks, get ball forward, drop deeper, etc.

In a counter strategy would it be smarter to press more or stand off en defending though?

Question though: is playing on the counter at home a valid plan? Different when you're away because you typically defend more at away games and hit back.

In a counter strategy would it be smarter to press more or stand off en defending though?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA my best mates from Shrewsbury and I give him crap all the time too funny sending him screen shot now.

Just picked up the Asian Champion's league with Gold Coast... Its funny, the crowd always turns out for the big games, but then there's an average of about 5,500 for the normal fixtures. Oh well... Gonna play out this season... Lose horribly in the World Club Championship, and then add all leagues as playable and see where I can get a job anywhere with atmosphere. 

BTW, along my travels in picking up the ACL, I found a few of the Asian clubs have flares at their crowds in-game... What a great bit of detail, didn't see that coming at all. 

Edited by JamCal

Playing 'on the counter' is to break it down a little, playing fast tempo, direct passing, the 'counter-attack' button ticked and usually with a targetman setup of "through ball" or "to feet" (as opposed to "at head"). The defensive style doesn't have to be one specific type.

I've played counter using 4-2-3-1 (2DM, MC, MR, ML) and defending deep.

I've played counter using a 4-2-3-1 (2MC, AMR, AMC, AML, ST) and pushing right up the pitch to close down hard.

When I'm not a top level team in the division (or playing in lower leagues where teams aren't that much better or worse than each other), it is viable to play two different versions of the same formation, not so much home/away, but better/worse than the other team.

When better, you want to drop the passing length to shorter passing, slow the tempo a little, and perhaps push up the pitch further. When worse, you want to play narrower, faster tempo, play more compact in defense, and play more directly in passing.

Its interesting seeing all this talk of tactics... As I'm yet to really have to stuff around with them yet... Just bought the best players and put them out there in a 4-2-3-1... But I'll have to be sure to read this when I go to a more difficult club to win at. 

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA my best mates from Shrewsbury and I give him crap all the time too funny sending him screen shot now.

Hahaha yeah it sort of started when I was on fifa 12 and decided to have a go at manager mode with them. I actually grew attached to them because of fifa.

then I liked the facebook page..

then i watched a few games..

and now shrewsbury are my second favourite team in england. hahahahha

Playing 'on the counter' is to break it down a little, playing fast tempo, direct passing, the 'counter-attack' button ticked and usually with a targetman setup of "through ball" or "to feet" (as opposed to "at head"). The defensive style doesn't have to be one specific type.

I've played counter using 4-2-3-1 (2DM, MC, MR, ML) and defending deep.

I've played counter using a 4-2-3-1 (2MC, AMR, AMC, AML, ST) and pushing right up the pitch to close down hard.

When I'm not a top level team in the division (or playing in lower leagues where teams aren't that much better or worse than each other), it is viable to play two different versions of the same formation, not so much home/away, but better/worse than the other team.

When better, you want to drop the passing length to shorter passing, slow the tempo a little, and perhaps push up the pitch further. When worse, you want to play narrower, faster tempo, play more compact in defense, and play more directly in passing.

So in playing a 4-2-2-2 (comes up at 4-2-4) is wrong or? Just having a AMR and AML in there suits my team, two really quick guys too.

Reckon playing an AP and a Poacher up front is effective? If not might try the target man.

Okay. Weird, because I was certain that counter style required width. Oh well.

The formation depends on your players, and how you want to balance your attack and defence, tactics are generally usable with any formation. I generally stick to 4-4-2 (or 4-1-4-1) formations in lower league, and it's only as I move up that I switch to 4231 based systems. So if you want to play 4222 or 442 then go for it. Of course, if you want to defend deep and narrow having AMR and AML isn't as conducive to that as having an MR and ML formation.

AP & Poacher is one of the better two man frontlines. The AP drops deeper to help build the play, while the poacher stays on the last line and helps finish moves. To put in A-League terms, it's like having ADP play with Berisha.

When I mean reduce width I was talking about when you split the tactic into home/away, better/worse splits. You don't want to go ultra-narrow, but you need to tighten the ship more when you are the lesser team. Otherwise you won't get a chance to counter or you'll be playing catchup after conceding.

The formation depends on your players, and how you want to balance your attack and defence, tactics are generally usable with any formation. I generally stick to 4-4-2 (or 4-1-4-1) formations in lower league, and it's only as I move up that I switch to 4231 based systems. So if you want to play 4222 or 442 then go for it. Of course, if you want to defend deep and narrow having AMR and AML isn't as conducive to that as having an MR and ML formation.

AP & Poacher is one of the better two man frontlines. The AP drops deeper to help build the play, while the poacher stays on the last line and helps finish moves. To put in A-League terms, it's like having ADP play with Berisha.

When I mean reduce width I was talking about when you split the tactic into home/away, better/worse splits. You don't want to go ultra-narrow, but you need to tighten the ship more when you are the lesser team. Otherwise you won't get a chance to counter or you'll be playing catchup after conceding.

Maybe I'll play 4-2-2-2 when I'm the better side and 4-4-2 when worse. That sounds good.

I'll have a fiddle around with the width and will make sure the AP gets balls to feet

Had an interesting moment at school today... My French teacher said our final speaking test was in July, and I started to freak out because I thought it was June because that was the date on my last fm save. Took me a good minute to calm down after realising its only April. 

Ok never played this before, installing the Demo now .. sounds good any tips?

Clear your upcoming schedule.

Is there a bigger turn on than having a wonderkid who has a world-wide reputation? I have one atm and it makes me wet everytime I read it.  

Edited by Sovereign

Where does it say whether a player is a wonderkid or not?

I play an older FM so I'm not totally sure if the layout of your FM would be exactly the same as mine. For mine it's in the player's "personal" tab and then under "description".

Edit: Ah sweet Mack cleared it up.

Edited by Sovereign

Ok never played this before, installing the Demo now .. sounds good any tips?

Tip 1. Sign Dino to a long term contract.

After that you've already won the game.

I've decided my new challenge is to try and win the champions league (or equivalent) on every continent... Already won the Asian Champions League with GCU, so now I'm managing in South Africa trying to win the African Champions League (note why is South Africa the only African league they have, yet they have heaps of other teams...?), then I'll go to the MLS I think, then South America... Then find the best team in Europe willing to hire me...

This feels like a fun challenge.

Huh. Well that was easy. Won the African Champions league in my second season... Umm... Gonna stick around and try and win the South African Premier league now just so I don't feel kind of hollow about my time at SuperSport Utd? 

After that its off to the MLS for the North American Champions League... Hopefully the Timbers or the Sounders are hiring. :D :D

Huh. Well that was easy. Won the African Champions league in my second season... Umm... Gonna stick around and try and win the South African Premier league now just so I don't feel kind of hollow about my time at SuperSport Utd?

After that its off to the MLS for the North American Champions League... Hopefully the Timbers or the Sounders are hiring. :D :D

Pick the timbers, they deserve some success!

I've been a FM (and the old CM) user since '99. I have kept all the old titles.

I must say that I was pretty p'd off with the FM13 engine. Multiple bugs in the A-League take away the enjoyment of the game and demonstrate that SI Games have NOT done their homework in Oz.

Contract irregularities, transfer bugs (losing players for nix etc.) and an apparent failure to properly adapt marquee signings and the salary cap into the game makes the A-League nearly unplayable after one season.

I have had stern words with SI Games and expect them to pull their socks up as far as the A-League is concerned.

The game isn't cheap and I expect much better for FM14.