Nikolai Topor-Stanley

mack

21 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

NTS had become a liability when we let him go. Good for him on his resurrection though.

It may well be that his limitations were exposed at times. But considering how Borda, Hamill, and initially, Cornflakes were doing, one can question the wisdom of letting him go when we did. It left us without a leader on the pitch, and one can argue that, unless Ziegler Bridgey or Duke are on the pitch, we are still without a leader.

On 25/02/2019 at 8:48 AM, FCB said:

Q: "Topor-Stanley looked pretty fresh, considering he's played the last three games."

Merrick (shakes his head): "I think he is a machine, I don't know how Topor does it, he is just incredible. [...] He never is on the phisio's bench. Never. He just looks after himself, he is a true professional. [...] He's just so reliable, he never complains. And the same with Nigel [Boogaard]. If I say "how are you guys feeling?" - "Great!". If he had a broken leg, Topor would say "I am fine as well."

In retrospect, when he moved on after S4 (together with Bridgey and Jamo), we lost three leaders on both the pitch and in the locker room, NTS arguably being the most important one out of the three. His departure left a hole behind which is yet to be filled.

On 25/02/2019 at 11:30 AM, MartinTyler said:

NTS had become a liability when we let him go. Good for him on his resurrection though.

The biggest issue with NTS was the MCL injury he picked up which caused him to lose that yard of pace. This is pretty much the same thing that has killed Bridge.

When we let him go, we had no choice with the lack of speed in our defense. We can’t afford to have two really slow CB’s otherwise it can cause havoc. Combine that with WSW Redmayne & it was comical. Surprisingly he doesn’t seem that bad with Newcastle but I think that has more to do with the way Merrick uses him & the way he sets up His defensive block & shape.

100% right FCB with the leadership hole he left in our club & that was further exposed when we lost Bridge. There was a certain standard & professionalism we lost in the dressing room when they left the club. Something we have been unable to replace not just as a CB but as leader too.

24 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The biggest issue with NTS was the MCL injury he picked up which caused him to lose that yard of pace. This is pretty much the same thing that has killed Bridge.

When we let him go, we had no choice with the lack of speed in our defense. We can’t afford to have two really slow CB’s otherwise it can cause havoc. Combine that with WSW Redmayne & it was comical. Surprisingly he doesn’t seem that bad with Newcastle but I think that has more to do with the way Merrick uses him & the way he sets up His defensive block & shape.

100% right FCB with the leadership hole he left in our club & that was further exposed when we lost Bridge. There was a certain standard & professionalism we lost in the dressing room when they left the club. Something we have been unable to replace not just as a CB but as leader too.

Surprising to whom? Merrick sees NTS, Boogaard and Moss as the foundation of the team that made the grand final.

7 hours ago, FCB said:

Surprising to whom? Merrick sees NTS, Boogaard and Moss as the foundation of the team that made the grand final.

After the way that he was playing towards the end of his tenure with us I thought that was going to be it. Similar to the decline that we saw with Bridge. In fact I’d go a step further & say that he has bucked that trend almost going back to the form that won us the ACL.

You have to give credit to the club being able to move players on that had injury or fitness concerns. I guess sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

He is such an amazing player with such an amazing career. He'll forever be known as a Wanderers legend.

I thought he might hold on for another season or two and maybe finish off his career at the A-League Canberra based team when they eventually join the league since he is originally from Canberra. But, he'll be in his 40's when they join the competition.

20 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

NTS & Beauchamp were a great pairing, the benchmark to measure up to, it's only now with Mrcela & Marcelo that we have a pairing to truly compare with, in our short history.

Also NTS and Alberto or NTS and Spira.... looks at that top 4 defensive pairing 3 of them have NTS. Might as well put NTS and La Rocca in there.

3 hours ago, mack said:

No-one will ever boot the ball out of the stadium quite the same.

That's the bit I modelled my game on, I got to play at Lambert park with an actual stand to kick the ball into, it was brilliant... 

• 2 months later...