Youssouf Hersi

Date Of Birth: 08/21/1982
Nation: Netherlands
Birthplace: Dire Dawa, Ethiopia
Squad Number: 17
Position: Right Wing
Secondary Positions:

Joined Wanderers: 09/13/2012
Contract Details: 1 Year Initial Contract. Signed 1 year extension on 5/2/2013 with likely end date of March 2014.
Contract Finish: 2013/14
Previous Club: De Graafschap
Wanderers Debut: 6th October 2012 vs Central Coast Mariners

Wanderers A-League Appearances: 48
Wanderers A-League Goals: 8

Wanderers ACL Appearances: 5
Wanderers ACL Goals: 0

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 0
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances: 0
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Total Appearances: 53
Wanderers Total Goals: 8

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2012/13: 25 (5), 2013/14: 28 (3)

International Team: Netherlands
International Caps: 0
International Goals: 0

Club Exit Date: 05/14/2014

Individual Awards: WestSydneyFootball.Com Player Of The Year (2012/13), A-League All Star (2012/13).

Team Honours: A-League Premiership Winner (2012/13).

Highlight: Provided an assist with a cross for the Wanderers first ever goal by Mark Bridge against Brisbane Roar in Round 4, Season 2012/13 on 27/10/2012.
Highlight: Received the first ever red card to a Wanderer, a straight red for kicking out towards Scott Jamieson of Perth Glory in Round 7, Season 2012/13 on 18/11/2012.
Highlight: Scored the first ever Wanderers goal in a Sydney Derby in Round 11, season 2012/13 on 15/12/2012.

Description: A journeyman winger with extensive experience in the Dutch leagues. Hersi started the pre-season slowly but with more match fitness and time to adjust to the league he become one of the key performers for the Wanderers in their inaugural season. His absence from the Wanderers squad is an immediate boost to the opposition. His second season was less of an impact in terms of goals scored, but he was still a key player in attack. He left the club after 2013/14 to join Perth Glory.

View full record

• 1 month later...

Hersi is fast becoming a cult hero. All the young fans (kids) and some of the adults seem to be taking to him.

Big ovation for him when he was replaced from the whole crowd. Still not 100% fit yet it seems, and I think he should look for Polenz making some good overlapping runs otherwise he is doing ok.

• 1 month later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Youssouf_Hersi.jpg

that guy had the coolest hair

When hersi was announced as a signing i read up on him, saw he was dutch & THAT hair i instantly thought sweet , we've got a mini edgar davids/ruud gullit/frank rijkaard on the way ;-)

lol i never noticed till now he took a few matches to hit his stride but he has really hit it running

I love that he isnt at all ignorant or lazy as a player. Along with Mooy hes easily our best player, but will great pedigree and is such a level headed guy and doesnt shrug of any of his responsibilites on the pitch. He will always chase back an opposition winger on the counter.

Massive man crush on hersi :)

Edited by DeeDee

He is easily my favourite player.

I love the way he plays. I just hope he keeps getting better. I didn't think much of him at the beginning of the season.

One guy that did catch my eye at Edensor Park was Kubi, but he hasn't really followed that up.

Seems to be a common theme that most of us didn't think much of him early on but love him now. I wonder if it took him some time to adjust to how physical the game is here in Australia, especially for a little fella.

Seems to be a common theme that most of us didn't think much of him early on but love him now. I wonder if it took him some time to adjust to how physical the game is here in Australia, especially for a little fella.

I actually thought he was pretty decent in our first game. He just copped some crap balls and passes from the other players. I was watching him mostly as he was on the side of the field I was sitting on in the first half. He actually chased very well in that game. He just didn't get the breaks go his way.

What I noticed in the second half though was that D'Appuzo was pretty shocking, and all Central Coast attacks came down our left side.

it's taken him a while because he hasn't played much football for about 2 years due to injury. He still wouldn't be 100% match fit, so the signs are very encouraging.

He no doubt was an el cheapo bargain buy as well. 

What you'll notice with Hersi, beside his skill, is he loves playing. He genuinely loves running out there. That comes from a guy given a 2nd chance.

What you'll notice with Hersi, beside his skill, is he loves playing. He genuinely loves running out there. That comes from a guy given a 2nd chance.

He looks to just never stop putting in 110% effort out on the pitch; He's one of the players you just love to see skin the opposition down the wing, and play a great ball for the attack.