Mark Bridge

mack

Hahaha I knew there might be some fallout from that comment. Just chucking it out there. I must admit, I did think he was 33 not 31. But still, if we have a good core of Aussies down that spine, and Aussie fullbacks, the wide attackers would be mainly foreign. We should be able to find better than Bridge out there (it's true, players of that quality do exist).

As a legend of the team I would like to see him in red and black again. But only if he's gonna produce.  

nah mate, you've burned your.....river crossing apparatus.

i think you should banned.

from this forum and Mark Bridge Stadium when its completed.

GTFO. 

Edited by theguyyouwishyouwere
  • 2 months later...
Bridge Departs Chiangrai
6 July 2017,

logo

Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) can today confirm that Mark Bridge has terminated his employment contract with Thai League 1 club Chiangrai United effective immediately.

“The PFA has provided support to Mark over the past six months,” said PFA Chief Executive John Didulica.

“As a result of circumstances at the club, Mark terminated his contract for just cause in accordance with FIFA regulations. As a consequence, he is now a free agent and entitled to sign with a club of his choosing.”

Bridge thanked the PFA and said he was now looking to resume his career as soon as possible.

“The support of the PFA over the past six months has been invaluable. I wish Chiangrai all the best for the future and look forward to resolving my playing future as soon as possible.”

6 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Can anyone shed light around the circumstances which led him to terminate his contract?

I don't have any inside information, but based on the PFA press release, I'm guessing it went a little like:
* Went to Thailand
* Scored a bunch of goals
* Season ended (3 rounds early because the king died)
* Club decide to sign some new Brazilians including a forward for the new season starting in early 2017
* Newcastle come sniffing to see if he can join them for the 2nd half of the A-League season
* Bridge then gets hurt
* Club stop paying his wages
* FIFA guidelines allow a player to leave a club after 3 months of not getting paid (called a "just cause" termination which is what the PFA statement said).
* PFA threatens a lawsuit perhaps, or an official complaint to the AFC & FIFA.
* Club say whatever and release him.

And another Australian player learns first hand that these tinpot leagues dgaf about paying players* and don't think the FIFA rules apply to them.

Last 6 months or so, then move on to somewhere else.

I don't blame him leaving for a payday, but now it seems he will be returning with his tail between his legs.

Say hi to NTS and Dario in the immigration queue at Sydney airport. Say hi to Jamo too for the lulz.

4 starters in our 2015-16 Grand Final appearing team that have come home a year later after leaving late in off season before last season. Frustrates the fkc out of me

*A-League clubs included.

Topor had a 1 year deal plus a +1 year club option that they didn't take up, so that probably worked out fine for him in terms of money.

Bridge has probably missed out on ~8 months of wages, making his choice a likely loss in terms of what he would've got if he'd just stayed in Australia the whole time.

Bridge's Thai nightmare has silver lining

And if there's a silver lining to the Thailand tribulations, it's that Bridge has arrived for pre-season training in good physical shape and with a new appreciation for the A-League.

"They were trying to break me physically and mentally to walk away from my contract, so my training was quite hard in the last five or six weeks," Bridge said.