The PAX and Crowds thread. SFS is Red & Black.

Victory

Admin Edit - I have split the thread from the post-match Heart thread. This is for discussion of crowds, including other teams if people want to talk about it.

8,000 on a Friday night against a non-NSW team is a super effort.

Can we except 10,000 next weekend?

Newcastle should bring a few down.

Saturday evening, 5:30 game - should be a few families out, and probably people who thought, two home games in a row, i'll take in the jets on saturday rather than heart on friday.

8,000 on a Friday night against a non-NSW team is a super effort.

Can we except 10,000 next weekend?

I don't know about excepting, but we can expect 10,000 next weekend for sure. Saturday night blockbuster

I can't wait to watch Heskey play.. one of those moments that's on my bucket list.

Winners! Love it!!!

Dissapointing crowd, but I think our club has a solid core of supporters... Wouldnt want it to go wouth of the 8k mark... If that is the MiN for the season, then all in all, and considering the ES-Smurfs-FC signed ADP, it would be a solid start and something to build on! I am confident within about 5 years, Parra stad will be too small for us!

C'mon you WANDERERS!!! ale ale...

FP

Considering how poor of a draw Heart are, I think it was a great crowd. I did a little research and they aren't really drawing crowds anywhere.

Perth Glory only got 6,500 to their match with Heart last season, which was equal to the match previous against the Gold Coast.

Central Coast played Heart and the attendances for their home matches before and after Heart were both bigger by several thousand.

Sydney FC for some reason had a massive improvement in their heart match last season, but it was on the 29th of December so perhaps more of an event than Heart drawing. And the 16,000 watched Heart destroy them 4-0 lol.

Every other team had Heart matches generally match or be worse than other matches around the same period.

Heart don't sell.

This bodes well for us. If that "Heart draw similar to averages or lower" applies to us, then that would put us on track to hit a 10,000 average for the season.

Spot on mack.

I don't live in West Sydney but I would assume that Friday night would be a hard sell for the working class working in the CBD to get to the match. Lets see what happens next weekend when you play the Jets at a much better time of 5:30 on Saturday.

Round 1: 10,458 vs Central Coast

Round 3: 19,126 vs Sydney FC

Round 5: 8,075 vs Melbourne Heart.

Total: 37,659

Average: 12,553

A very good result which puts the club on track to hit a 10,000 average in the first season with 10 games to go.

We should get the same 19,000 or better in the final Derby for the season, perhaps rocking out with a capacity crowd if the result will mean something in the finals picture.

If we don't drop lower than 8,000 for the rest of the season the average will be somewhere between 9,500 and 11,000, depending on how well the Victory, Jets and CCM matches do.

If we suffer lower than 8,000 crowds those would likely be in the 2nd Heart, Glory and Wellington matches and could drop the average down to 9,000. A catastrophic drop where we see several matches in the 4,000 and 5,000 region and a smaller derby crowd would still only push the average down to 8,500.

A higher than I would predict estimate would have us pushing 12,000 although it would need high numbers for the Victory matches in particular.

Spot on mack.

I don't live in West Sydney but I would assume that Friday night would be a hard sell for the working class working in the CBD to get to the match. Lets see what happens next weekend when you play the Jets at a much better time of 5:30 on Saturday.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get 10,000 to that.

Some interesting notes about future matches.

Our 2nd home match against Melbourne Victory is on New Year's Day. This could be an absolute blockbuster crowd as Victory usually draw high anyway, and last season three matches were played on New Year's Eve, Brisbane Roar drew 14,000 against Victory and the Mariners drew 14,000 against the Gold Coast. This match could draw 14,000 or more easily.

As noted earlier, Melbourne Heart are a poor draw. However, our 2nd home match against them is on Australia Day, Saturday 7:45. This is an absolute peach of a fixture spot, and the event could draw in a much higher crowd that we could otherwise expect with Heart. The Australia Day fixture last season saw Victory draw 20k against Sydney FC, which was 6,000 higher than their next match. With the day being an 'event' so to speak, if this match hit 5 figures it would be an great boost to the potential average.

Despite there only being 8000 at the game, the atmosphere was fantastic. Something not lost on the first timers with me last night.

I certainly didn't feel or sound like 8000.

This is entirely true... I actually felt that it was quite a bit louder than Round 1 even though the numbers were smaller. It was also obvious that people are catching onto the RBB chants, and that in the first game the chants sounded great, but still a work in progress. The third home game and already the chants seemed completely polished, with a number of fans in the stands singing along with the RBB, and those who don't know the words were clapping along.

Great signs.

Spot on mack.

It's true. I missed the first 10 or so minutes of the first half, has to rush from the city to home to Parramatta. It was crazy. Lucky enough I think we only have 1 more Friday night home game.

Fridays are going to be our lowest drawing crowds, I arrived about 5 minutes into the game and there was a lot of people running to get into the stadium due to being late.

Saturday night and Sunday afternoon will be 11-12000+ agaisnt most teams, Hopefully look at geting 15000+ with Newcastle and Central Coast

Was definitely much louder than the first home game , I also noticed in my section that randomly everyone would join in chanting and clapping for 10-15 seconds on certain chants but would stop as most people it seemed didn't know how to continue. Any way to get some of the 'easier' chants with simple clapping beats out to the masses pre-game so they have a clue?

Edited by randomboy101

When Adelaide are getting just over 8k and Heart are getting just over 6k, then we don't have anything to worry about ;)

Looks like Friday is not a great night for us. There were heaps just on this forum that couldn't make it.

What I'm confused about is next week we are at 5:30pm and SFC v Victory are at 7:45pm on the same day. So much for only 1 game per weekend in the city. Now they have a back to back fixture.

Saturday's match should attract 10-15k I reckon. When you take into account the 8.5k which were all wanderers supporters apart from a handful and you add the fact that its a Saturday and you'd think some jets fans would travel down the F3 then 10-15k is realistic . Last week was awesome in Bay 56 already looking forward to having a few at the woolpack on a hot Saturday afternoon then marching down and watching the Wanderers get the third victory on the trot!! C'mon u Wanderers!!!!

hey just a quick random and probably stupid question, but i noticed on tv watching fox sports news, syd fc players at training had the option of regular shirts or AFL style shirts i saw culina and ryall in them. Now im not suggesting them for every game, but hot summer games (the ones where refs stop the match every 20 minutes) i recon they could work .... 90% of you will hate it tho i already know that! :)

hey just a quick random and probably stupid question, but i noticed on tv watching fox sports news, syd fc players at training had the option of regular shirts or AFL style shirts i saw culina and ryall in them. Now im not suggesting them for every game, but hot summer games (the ones where refs stop the match every 20 minutes) i recon they could work .... 90% of you will hate it tho i already know that! :)

No. Definitely not. Ever

Not sure if serious or troll...

Be thankful that it's looking like a dry summer. Your crowds would take a beating big time if it was massively wet like the last few years.

Based on what evidence?

This comment is complete fabrication and hearsay based on nothing.

We still got 10k in Round 1 when it was a really shitty day weather wise.

For an SFC to rip on our crowds due to wet weather is a bit rich.

Pot, kettle, black etc

edit: and actually, its NOT going to be a dry summer. Its been widely reported that its going to be hot and we are going to get old school 80s late arvo thunderstorms this summer.

Edited by Erebus

I'd say we have a core of about 8,000 fans who will be at most games.

Then in addition to that will get a few thousand more, depending on who we play and the circumstances.

10,000 season average is looking good.