Interesting Football Stuff.

Benched

8 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

For me it would be knowing that Athletic Bilbao only sign players who were born in the Basque Country or they adapt their football skills from there and as they still manage to produce some decent footballers and stay in the La Liga. 

Agree, it is commendable. But even they have had their moments with "questionable" connections to the region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao_signing_policy#Players_from_outside_the_region

Cheers for that, great read.

His memory differs from mine a little, we were mates until he moved away to QLD early on into high school - and from what I can recall football wasn't 24/7, it was just something we played at school and on weekends, we used to kick a rugby league ball at Crawford Public School just as much as a football.

His brother Troy was a good player, but the best player out of Doonside I can remember was another schoolmate called Mark Honselaars, who was better than all of us but I can't seem to find much info on him except for a stint in the NSL.

Brad Maloney was also a Doonside High student and I know he made it into the NSL and made a career out of football.

These are the guys I want at WSW, no one understands the youth better.

58 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Cheers for that, great read.

His memory differs from mine a little, we were mates until he moved away to QLD early on into high school - and from what I can recall football wasn't 24/7, it was just something we played at school and on weekends, we used to kick a rugby league ball at Crawford Public School just as much as a football.

His brother Troy was a good player, but the best player out of Doonside I can remember was another schoolmate called Mark Honselaars, who was better than all of us but I can't seem to find much info on him except for a stint in the NSL.

Brad Maloney was also a Doonside High student and I know he made it into the NSL and made a career out of football.

These are the guys I want at WSW, no one understands the youth better.

I understand what you mean, but does that apply to "the youth of today"? 

On 09/04/2020 at 12:14 PM, WSWJACK said:

just watched Dicks penalties above, by christ he belted the ball hard, no panenkas in him !

He was great. :lol:

Remember that last one too, Solskjaer and Beckham had scored. That was to level it up near the end.

23 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

And, seemingly like almost everyone else in Scotland, Steve Gerrard is critical of the decision:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/i-ve-watched-the-spfl-get-absolutely-slaughtered-gerrard-calls-for-independent-investigation

I don't keep a close watch on Scotland football as a whole, but I've only ever seen criticism of the SPFL board and their decisions as being any or all of corrupt, incompetent and secretive.

10 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

And, seemingly like almost everyone else in Scotland, Steve Gerrard is critical of the decision:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/i-ve-watched-the-spfl-get-absolutely-slaughtered-gerrard-calls-for-independent-investigation

I don't keep a close watch on Scotland football as a whole, but I've only ever seen criticism of the SPFL board and their decisions as being any or all of corrupt, incompetent and secretive.

Who cares what the DJ punching Phil Collins loving, biff thinks 

6 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Not surprisingly a good read with some very interesting little stories.

@MartinTyler - obviously you already know what's included!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/lucy-zelic-in-conversation-with-martin-tyler

Interesting parallel with him about introduction to football. At about the same age I was living Deal, a coastal town in Kent and generally more interested in cricket but I had just started to play football at school. A school friend took me to watch Deal Town, then in the Southern League (6th tier) and from that point onward I was hooked. Helped that the '66 World Cup followed soon afterwards !!